PinkiePie97

Season 9, Episode 16: A Trivial Pursuit

Title: A Trivial Pursuit

Synopsis: Twilight's hopes of keeping her Trivia Trot winning streak alive are waylaid when she’s unexpectedly paired up with Pinkie Pie who has never been to a trivia night before!

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 1

It's a good thing TwiPie didn't have to go up against AppleDash, a long-term powerhouse with a legacy of being the best pairing.

Wait... this is the shipping thread right?

• Haha 2

Alright. Episode 16.

And once again a premise that doesn't sound interesting to me. I don't know what a Trivia Trot is (maybe because i missed way too many episodes including the ones that introduced it, or it happens the first time ever in this episode), but it sounds a lot like buckball, something that is just there and doesn't really interest me (after researching it for 30 seconds i found out it's a reference to a board game from Hasbro and zzzzzzzzzzzzz) I don't know what to expect from this episode, maybe some cute Twilight moments but other than that eh.

Then let's get over with it.

Twilights adorklableness is already off the charts in the first minutes.

Maud and Mudbriar walking on only 3 hoofs while holding hoofs looks weird. They should fall if they're not careful.

After calculating so much shit, Twilight not expecting Pinkie Pie to play and then freaking out about it feels a tiny bit off.

Team Appledash? Oh for fucks sake. Those references are so bad it's becoming funny.

How is Granny Smith holding the pieces of paper WITHOUT FINGERS?

Twipie? More shipping references, i guess?

Twilight and Pinkie get distracted for kinda stupid reasons.

Eating the plate is not good for your health, Pinkie.

"No sticking tongues out at your opponents." Wtf?

Isn't Twilight breaking the rules herself by sending Pinkie away?

Twiburst? Sundoodle? People, what the fuck?

Okay. What is going on with the second half of S9 so far? I probably gonna sound really hypocritical here but why are we getting episodes about the mane 6 learning the most basic lessons about friendship, winning, acceptance and Pinkies lifes purpose? Those characters should be at the end of their character arcs by now and i'm sure we have an assload of character arcs and plot threads to conclude. Those borderline S2 like episodes feel really weird IN THE FINAL SEASON! As much as i like the mane 6 and as little as i care about newer characters i am sounding hypocritical here but, we need to move on and conclude shit and not go back to basic friendship lessons for characters who are LEADING A SCHOOL AND TEACHING ABOUT FRIENDSHIP!

This episode is a 6/10. Not even Twilights adorkableness could save much of it. And what is up with those constant shipping jokes? Bruh.

• Like 1

Ok so i feel like the best way to explain what i thought of this episode is to use dot points. 

- What was the lesson here? 

Well when i first watched this episode i felt as though the lesson was clearly "playing games are about having fun with your friends, not kicking them out so you can win." and "don't get cared away with your interests.", i think this is the lesson for a few reasons: 

1- because the episode creates a big setup for Twilight over planning her odds at winning trivia

2- Twilight doesn't get mad at pinkie NOT because of personality but because she assume's she's dumb (even though pinkie has proven herself to be at least as smart as Twilight) 

3- Twilight then realizes that winning isn't everything when she see's Sunburst treat her how she treated pinkie, stops having fun ee's pinkie pie upset. 

- Does this lesson work for a season 9 episode?

Personally, i think it doe's. Sure Twilight has learnt to not freak out over important stuff and learnt to accept ponies for who they are but, never learnt not to get carried away with her interests (at least i don't recall that ever being a lesson for her). Because of this i can see why she would still need to learn it. 

-Comedy? 

This episode definitely did have an early season vibe with it's comedy (so the theory of this episode being intended for an early season could be true), but i don't think that is a bad thing since i kinda prefer the older season's style of comedy. Also this seems the be the first time we have seen a pinkie and Twi comedy episode (well aside of the pinkie sense episode) and honestly, both characters felt pretty in character for me (though at times Twi almost felt OOC for me) and where very funny. 

Also to add onto comedy it was fun to see RD and AJ to be rivals without almost killing their students like in early seasons. 

-Shipping references?

Yes.

Though it's a shame my OTP was never mentioned. 

- Problems? 

Well i do wish Twilight wasn't so mean to pinkie pie in this episode, yes she was carried away with trying to win but as a pinkie fan it was starting to get really said to watch how she treated pinkie. Maud and Mudbriar always make me enjoy any episode their in less (more so Mudbriar). Why was this game only just mentioned now? Derpy abuse and WHERE THE FUCK WAS RARITY!? 

-Final thoughts.

This episode was a lot of fun, far from perfect or the best one in this season but after the shit show that was episode 15 it was very much welcomed. Overall i will give this episode a 7/10. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoodleDot said:

-Shipping references?

Yes.

Tho it's a shame my OTP was never mentioned. 

I haven't seen the early airing episodes yet, but maybe we'll finally get that CrankyMagnet episode you've been waiting for.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:14 AM, ABronyAccount said:

I haven't seen the early airing episodes yet, but maybe we'll finally get that CrankyMagnet episode you've been waiting for.

Why was CrankyMagnet the first ship that came to your mind? :celestia:

With that said, i do wish we got more more episodes with Magnet but idk about shipping him with Cranky lol. 

18 minutes ago, DoodleDot said:

Why was CrankyMagnet the first ship that came to your mind? :celestia:

Because I can read yours. :hithere:

You ship MagnaDoodle* because Cranky has an intriguing backstory, whereas Steven Magnet is a charismatic and flamboyant character who is otherwise a blank slate.

We know they've crossed paths before: when Cranky was devastated, searching for love, looking in all the wrong places, feeling so alone in the world...

*I'm copyrighting that ship name.

1 minute ago, ABronyAccount said:

Because I can read yours. :hithere:

You ship MagnaDoodle* because Cranky has an intriguing backstory, whereas Steven Magnet is a charismatic and flamboyant character who is otherwise a blank slate.

We know they've crossed paths before: when Cranky was devastated, searching for love, looking in all the wrong places, feeling so alone in the world...

*I'm copyrighting that ship name.

Well my name may be DoodleDot but MagnaDoodle is not my OTP.

You would know that if you could truly ready my mind. :newspaper:

Though with that said i do agree with this ship and i would be very disappointed if you're the first one to bring it up.