PinkiePie97

Season 9, Episode 17: The Summer Sun Setback

Title: The Summer Sun Setback

Synopsis: Twilight is determined to make Celestia and Luna’s last Summer Sun Celebration memorable. However, things start going horribly wrong.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

• Like 2

Alright. Episode 17.

Finally an episode with a premise that sounds much more interesting. It seems to be from one of the writers who worked on Episode 8 (my favorite of S9 by the way) and it moves forward with shit. And remember, 9 years ago was the night Nightmare Moon came back.

I hope this episode will be decent. Let's get into it.

THE VILLAINS!!! YEEEEEEEEEES! DAMN! THANK YOU! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Infiltrating Canterlot? Aaaaaand we are off to a fantastic start. Damn, i just got a big smile on my face and way more optimistic about this episode. Please be good.

You can't knock on the fucking door, Celestia?

Well, the amulet seems like a simple solution to the magic of moving the sun and the moon.

"Character growth is so boring." Says the shittiest character in the room.

Chrysalis becomes more and more likeable with each episode she's in.

So that random pony in charge of tge weather doesn't know about Cozy Glow? Weird.

Maybe a practice session for the amulet should have happened before episode 13?

So that Unicorn with the firelike man (don't know her name) that was in charge of the fireworks got turned around and started questioning her job after just one small talk from Chrysalis? SPEECH 100. xD

Pinkie BOOPS Applejack. xD

I wonder how Tirek can sneak around unnoticed with his massive size that only keeps increasing the more magic he absorbs. MaYbE fOr ThE pLoT?

Remember when the castle was trembeling under Tireks footsteps in the S4 finale? Now he's walking and it's quiet as fuck. Unless he was loud on purpose back then.

Why does the music that plays while they fix everything sounds like some music that plays during the credits of an SNES game?

Okay. Cozy Glow breaking the chain that chains down the book about Grogars bell with a book that has a key on it is dumb but also clever and funny at the same time.

The existence of the book that contains shit about Grogars bell makes me have even more questions. Who made it? How did they get the knowledge about the bell when it was always in Grogars hoofs and then locked up in the mountain? Who figured out how to use the bell? I am made of questions.

Yeah, alright. I really liked this episode. It's not as jawdropping as Episode 8 was but it was once again a statisfying kind of episode that focuses more or less on the villains and should have happened a long time. Some clever moments here and there. I would almost go as far as to say that this episode makes up a lot for the recent weird S2 like episodes. And i would even almost go as far as to say that this episode should have been the midseason finale and episode 13 should have swapped places with it. And it also seems like that lots of footage from the final trailer was from this episode? Okay.

I really liked it. 8.5/10

• Like 1

Much better than the previous two episodes. Cozy, Chrysalis and Tirek once again steal the show.

I do have to wonder: is Grogar in the dark about their scheming or does he secretly know what's going on and is just waiting to catch them in the act?

• Like 1

Ok so after the pure slice of life episode that was episode 16 we get this episode, here are my thoughts.

-Twilight, the new ruler.

Well it's official, she's the new ruler. Personally i don't mind this too much (this makes sense for the final season), though it feels odd that Celly and Luna joked about Twi being the ruler, only for it to be happening for real. 

-Villains 

Just like in episode 8 the Villains where the highlight of this episode,  Although it's strange how easy they got in the castle and completed their plan of sealing that book it was fun to watch none the less. 

-Discord

Discord has been very interesting in this season, i guess the writers decided that the only way to have their epic plot work with discord being... discord they had to make him self aware and honestly, i like it. Though i noticed he isn't just self aware since he tends to say things to make fun of the fandom. For example when he said "Character growth is so boring." it's clearly a jab at MLP fans who hate when characters develop.  

- more positives? 

Glad to see Braeburn and the other Applelossa ponies back. Twilight's character growth is great. And every one seemed in character.  

-Flaws?

Why did that guard not know who cozy glow is? Sure the guards haven't been shown to be the brightest ponies but you would think Celly would warn them about her ether after what happened in the s8 final or after the whole Sombra thing in the first s9 episodes. 

The ponies working with the fire work show and weather seemed really dumb, i mean come one what pony drops their job after one little talk or less a filly help them organise weather?  

-Overall

This episode was really good and i enjoyed watching it, this episode felt like a really good build up for the final and has made me more hyped for it. Overall i give this episode a 9/10, it's definitely one of the better episodes of the season. 

• Like 1

A few things from episode 8 i would like to adress here. (If you think this should belong in the topic for episode 8, please report me)

I know Grogar wanted them to bond and learn how to work together on the quest to retrieve his bell but since he can just teleport them to his lair and wherever he wants to (like when he summons them from all over the world and Sombra from the dead and then sends him to the Crystal Empire) he could have just teleported them on the top of the mountain, in front of the barrier and then teleported them back as soon as they got the bell. And here's another thing. He saw Sombras defeat so he can spy through his crystal ball. He has also constantly been looking into the ball while trying to find out where his bell was.

(Holy shit this picture is small. I wish i could have found a bigger version of it. Sorry)

thumb.png

I hope they actually go with this for the finale because Grogar has been pretty meh so far. Yes, he kinda "overpowered" and handcuffed all of them without his bell. But you can't expect me to take a final villain seriously when he get's tricked by a bunch of loosers that are weaker than him and butthurt because someone stronger is bossing them around.

Also, i hope the bell becomes a big focus in the final battle. Since a book that can teach you how to use the bell exists the main goal should be "get the bell and the book and use it against them". And especially Grogar should get more time to shine since he has been almost nothing but talk so far.

• Like 2

Even better than Frenemies. Trust me, that is saying a lot. Though there is some annoyance to the fact that the Mane 6 still have a way of being clueless to what’s really going on under their noses, it’s worth it to see how far the villains have come in terms of competence, being able to infiltrate and advance their plan without provoking any kind of suspicion to their presence. And Discord says character growth is so boring. Honestly one of the funniest lines in the series, and one of the funniest moments in the series is seeing him dressed like Jesus. I like how he continually refuses to be a Deus Ex Machina, allowing us to see how much Twilight’s friends have not changed by believing that Twilight hasn’t changed. The acknowledgement of how they still don’t listen to Applejack is just the cherry on top. Episodes about the villains are definitely tied with Celestia and Luna episodes for the easiest episodes of the show for me to love now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

allowing us to see how much Twilight’s friends have not changed by believing that Twilight hasn’t changed. The acknowledgement of how they still don’t listen to Applejack is just the cherry on top.

That's an interesting take on the mane six ignoring AJ, i never though of it like that. 

Because when i watched that part i thought it was kinda taking a jab at the fact that AJ in early seasons never had biggest impact on the plot and, therefore can feel like more like a secondary character or, (dare i say it) background pony, leading to her friends ignoring her because she hasn't done as much as they have overall. 

This also feels like a jab at the fandom (similar to how a lot of discords lines feel like jabs at the fandom) since many people still think she is a useless character because she hasn't had "enough" character growth and hasn't done as much as the other mane six.

Could be totally wrong (and most likely am since your explanation of that AJ situation seems more likely) but after seeing Discord poking fun at the fandom in this episode and episode 1 of s9 i wouldn't put it pass the writers to do this. 

10 hours ago, Leonbrony17 said:

And here's another thing. He saw Sombras defeat so he can spy through his crystal ball. He has also constantly been looking into the ball while trying to find out where his bell was.

This is the main reason why i feel like Grogar is aware of the evil trio's plan. I mean this dude was very sure that Sombra was going to fail which made me think he can see into the future (wouldn't put it past him since he is mean to be very powerful and that could also explain why he would wait until now to attack) and therefore be aware of the betrayal before it happened. 

So then why work with the villains if he knows they will betray him? Not sure but hopefully we will see why in the final. 

10 hours ago, Leonbrony17 said:

I hope they actually go with this for the finale because Grogar has been pretty meh so far.

I agree, but as of now i don't mind that so much since we haven't seen much of him yet. 

• Like 1