GamerKuma

Season 7 Episode 8 Hard to Say Anything

Ah, Big Mac in love. Its fun seeing the big lummox out of his comfort zone, and I always enjoy getting to hear more than two phrases out of him. Giving him a canon love interest now should calm some of the fans, though woe betide any that tells a shipper who they can or cant ship. AND we got a Justin Bieber pony to hate on, whats NOT to love here?

Actually, IMO, it was the way the CMC were acting. They claimed several times through the episode to have learned their lesson about meddling with love, but thats literally all they did. Now, Big Mac went along with it for most of the episode, and it almost cost him his lady fair, but I was looking forward to more of getting to see him woo her on his own through the eyes of the CMC. I know they're young, excitable, and their job is literally to help other ponies with the problems, but id have rather seen Mac do this one solo. But thats all just me.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Very amusing. The blood and carnage will be unforgettable as the war rages. The armadas of MacCheer, MacMarble and MacFlutters will now set sail and besiege Hasbro HQ for daring to introduce another love interest!

Ok seriously now about the episode. Yeah I'll be predictable and say that I liked the episode because of very silly humor. Can't say anything really made me cringe even though it was sort of predictable. And sure CMC have learned their lesson of not using the potion to make two ponies fall in love but in this case they had confirmation that both ponies really DO love each other. Don't think that the episode would work if it was just CMC watching Big Mac unless it would be him failing and then CMC flying in to make it work. Think CMC screwing up and then Big Mac himself realizing what to do was better.

I don't really have much to say about the episode besides that. Maybe that I wish CMC kept their alter-egos through the whole episode?

• Like 4

Similar thoughts here. The first and last acts were decent, but the bulk of the second act was kind of weak. Not a horrible episode, just kind of meh.

I thought it was nice that the CMC decided to help the Beiber pony at the end.

• Like 3

So far I consider it the weakest episode of the season as I wasn't a fan of the CMC's characterizations getting regressed to help Big Mac out and I felt some of the attempts to poke fun at the fantasy love tropes came off a bit creepy, but the resolution to Sugarmac being canon and the CMC going to help the bieber pony out helped buoy it to avoid an F from me.

It would be somewhere around the D or D+ range, but in general I thought this was the worst episode of the season, but it could've been worse considering the type of story it was running on. Though like all the others, I'll need to watch it again to see if my initial judgement was correct or not.

• Like 4

This was just one of those episodes that serves to remind that this is, foremost, a show for a younger, simpler tasted audience.

• Like 3

@Nuke87654
Oh wow that bad experience? I mean I guess I can understand your point of view. The CMC critic is a bit weird for me because working as a team to help someone is hardly new. They can't always set aside time for each individual of group to get a spotlight. I mean they weren't out of character, they just didn't have time to shine when it was primarily Big Mac who was supposed to get development. Am I actually making any sense?

Anyway I really can't say that this episode is worst of the season. That honor for me goes to Fluttershy Leans In.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinder Vel said:

@Nuke87654
Oh wow that bad experience? I mean I guess I can understand your point of view. The CMC critic is a bit weird for me because working as a team to help someone is hardly new. They can't always set aside time for each individual of group to get a spotlight. I mean they weren't out of character, they just didn't have time to shine when it was primarily Big Mac who was supposed to get development. Am I actually making any sense?

Anyway I really can't say that this episode is worst of the season. That honor for me goes to Fluttershy Leans In.

Aye, but then again, considering other folks more fond experience, perhaps it's the cynic in me that expected a bad episode or so. After all, I was at least impressed they didn't keep the status quo with Sugar Belle and Big Mac and the CMC's helping bieber pony at the end is a good touch on them. Looking at your perspective that their love potion and helping someone definitely in love as different does at least offer one perspective I'll need to look into later.

• Like 4

I should have known better and skip this. It's a true CMC episode after all. Big Mac's shipping just made me too curious. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swifty said:

I should have known better and skip this. It's a true CMC episode after all. Big Mac's shipping just made me too curious. 

What do you mean by true CMC episode?

5 hours ago, GamerKuma said:

What do you mean by true CMC episode?

When Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are together.

"Untrue CMC episode" would be Parental Glideance with Scootaloo only. :T

Just now, Swifty said:

When Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are together.

"Untrue CMC episode" would be Parental Glideance with Scootaloo only. :T

Ahhh ok, i thought there was some formula for an episode i was missing 

Starlight's old village needs a name... And I wanted to murder the Justin Bieber pony, though I probably shouldn't be taking Big Mac's side. Poor Sugar Belle.

Was this episode fun to watch though, and with a decent message and a satisfying ending.

I'm in love with this season.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2017 at 0:51 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Starlight's old village needs a name... And I wanted to murder the Justin Bieber pony, though I probably shouldn't be taking Big Mac's side. Poor Sugar Belle.

Was this episode fun to watch though, and with a decent message and a satisfying ending.

I'm in love with this season.

I know right?! This season is really soaring high for me. :yay:

I feel bad for Sugar Belle too but that music competition was just too funny. :ajlol: Only now I REALLY want some Feather Bangs covers by PrinceWhateverer. :gonkity:

• Like 3

Well, there goes my favorite ship. That said, I am glad that Big Mac now has a significant other.

Love the Justin Bieber reference. 

Big Mac's song kind of reminds me of this fan song:

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ChB said:

Well, there goes my favorite ship. That said, I am glad that Big Mac now has a significant other.

Love the Justin Bieber reference. 

Big Mac's song kind of reminds me of this fan song:

Reveal hidden contents

At last, an anthem to best pony! :dealwithit:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I liked this episode. I'm glad that the CMC were able to help Big Mac with Sugar Belle and didn't ruin his chances with her after all.

In the end Big Mac had the idea to make it up to Sugar, but he might never have told his feelings without the CMC so it was a good team ending I think. :yay:

2 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

So glad to see so many positive responses about this episode.

It's really nice to know others enjoyed it like I did. Is that why you said that? Seen many negative reactions? :sunset:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlackWater said:

In the end Big Mac had the idea to make it up to Sugar, but he might never have told his feelings without the CMC so it was a good team ending I think. :yay:

It's really nice to know others enjoyed it like I did. Is that why you said that? Seen many negative reactions? :sunset:

Im gonna guess because this season has seen a lot of negative responses to its episodes thus far. Mixed at best, at least, for most of them.

11 minutes ago, BlackWater said:

It's really nice to know others enjoyed it like I did. Is that why you said that? Seen many negative reactions? 

Don't really mind negative responses because feelings are illogical and liking is subjective. Was more annoyed by negative responses before the episode even aired. It's one to watch and judge something but it is a different thing to judge and then watch.

I can say that people here are very fair and I am glad to read their comments even if they don't always like what they see. 

11 minutes ago, GamerKuma said:

Im gonna guess because this season has seen a lot of negative responses to its episodes thus far. Mixed at best, at least, for most of them.

To be honest I think I see more positive than negative responses. The negative ones that I see are more loud but aren't actually that numerous. Of course I don't survey whole fandom at once so I could be wrong. I am sure if I checked youtube comment section for example....

2 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Don't really mind negative responses because feelings are illogical and liking is subjective. Was more annoyed by negative responses before the episode even aired. It's one to watch and judge something but it is a different thing to judge and then watch.

I can say that people here are very fair and I am glad to read their comments even if they don't always like what they see. 

To be honest I think I see more positive than negative responses. The negative ones that I see are more loud but aren't actually that numerous. Of course I don't survey whole fandom at once so I could be wrong. I am sure if I checked youtube comment section for example....

Tis a dark place Cinder, Id advise against such a venture.

• Like 2

Doing this can get annoying. But it's still better to be safe than sorry. In other words... this is your weekly 'viewer discretion' warning.

Just like the episode title... there's not much I can say about this one.

To be honest... I feel like this is starting to become a 'running gag' where the show ships Big Mac with someone. This time with one of the 'Our Town' ponies Sugar Belle.

It was good to see that the CMC learned their lesson from the love potion fiasco yet they tried something from a fairy tale instead. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. :doublefacehoof:

The we have 'Feather Bangs.' Who's either an N'Sync or a Justin Timberlake wannabe. Clearly. Which made him... annoying. :applebelch:

Unsurprisingly the CMC antics don't work and end up causing problems. The sing off... was kind of funny I guess but then it just became something that was lasting way too long as far as I'm concerned.

Eventually the episode ends with the obvious conclusion of just doing something nice for the pony in question instead of trying to impress them and apparently the N'Sync/Justin Timberlake wannabe has trouble talking with other ponies so the CMC help with that? When did they become 'love experts'? :eyebrow:

Either way about the only thing this episode had going for it was it's hilarity. LOTS of funny moments. :pwease:

I didn't hate this episode... it just... wasn't the greatest. Oh well.

Current Status:

Stay: 70%
Leave: 30%

No change because I just didn't feel like this episode deserved the stay % to increase. Like I already said I didn't hate the episode but it wasn't the greatest either.