Recommended Posts

I thought it was okay. I didn't think it was bad and I'm glad things worked out for everyone in the end, but I just didn't find myself that into this one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really was not bad episode. I might have sounded a bit harsh back when I first wrote the comments but really I definitely did not hate it. It simply was a mixed bag I guess? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

It really was not bad episode. I might have sounded a bit harsh back when I first wrote the comments but really I definitely did not hate it. It simply was a mixed bag I guess? 

 

I agree. While it's not a terrible episode, I do feel it's the season's worst so far just because of how Applejack acts in this episode. She knows how important fashion is to Rarity so why would she say something like that straight to her face? It makes no sense.

 

It does have it's good moments though. Like the return of Photo Finish, Lily Lace (I think that was her name), the guitar scene, and the Strawberry Sunrise scene.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, for me Fluttershy episode remains the worst one.

I can actually understand Applejack. She was uncertain but then she felt like her point of view was really contributing. And when she was challenged for her honest opinion, she got angry and had something she would obviously never say normally and would regret later. Emotions and pride took over her and AJ was always prideful. There is no person on Earth who is always in control of their emotions and has never said something they thought it was right in the moment they have said it, but then had regretted. 

People simply do not like to see characters they like behave like that. But for better or for worse it was not unrealistic behavior. Just that we are more used to AJ being the only sane one so her mistakes are more obvious. If it was Rainbow Dash well I don't think people would have minded as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

Sorry, for me Fluttershy episode remains the worst one.

I can actually understand Applejack. She was uncertain but then she felt like her point of view was really contributing. And when she was challenged for her honest opinion, she got angry and had something she would obviously never say normally and would regret later. Emotions and pride took over her and AJ was always prideful. There is no person on Earth who is always in control of their emotions and has never said something they thought it was right in the moment they have said it, but then had regretted. 

People simply do not like to see characters they like behave like that. But for better or for worse it was not unrealistic behavior. Just that we are more used to AJ being the only sane one so her mistakes are more obvious. If it was Rainbow Dash well I don't think people would have minded as much.

 

I can understand that. Personally, FLI was better fot me because I felt everyone was in character, I just didn't think the conflict was very interesting nor did it really affect anything in the long run. It's only saving grace (I guess) was that it showed how far Fluttershy progressed as a character, but it wasn't done in an interesting way nor was it really needed since episodes in the past showed it off better making this episode unmemorable. But hey, I can respect a different opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well AJ was in character now. But it is hard for people to swallow when someone they like is wrong. I do understand why she did what she did. Doesn't mean I like it. And reason why I like that episode more is because I cared enough to express emotions both good and bad.

I consider it worse when I just don't care at all. Fluttershy was already assertive in season 6 so I didn't really care she was still being assertive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can get behind WHY AJ acted the way she did in this episode but she is not this rude and has never acted like this before. It gets to the point where it isn't honesty any more and she just becomes a jackass. I couldn't stand her here.

 

I am still going to say that Hard to Say Anything is worse (way worse), but this one is second worse for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed this epsiode! Well not LOVED but it was fun. The best parts for me besides the obvious Guitarity would be the side characters. Photo Finish, Hoity Toity, and even Strawberry Savage. :rdwink:

Not my favorite of the season but a good time. I thought the lesson was really important for this day and age. There's more than one way to look at it too. Like voicing one's opinions in a respectful and civil way OR understanding the differences of viewpoints that people might have (i.e. judging clothes for work situations rather than art or presentation). :sunset:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I am aware some of the characters were exaggerated or otherwise behaved in ways that didn't make much sense. But I feel there is an area where this episode absolutely NAILED it.

The Moral.

I am way too familiar with wannabe critics who are way too eager to use "it's my opinion" to justify behavior that it just CANNOT justify. You don't have to like the same things as everyone else, but that does not give a you a free pass to be a jerk. Although the conflict in this particular episode revolved around a fashion show, I feel it can easily apply to criticism of other kinds of works as well.

I also liked the attention called to the fact there is a FIRM line between critiquing a work and simply insulting it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice demonstration of the difference between "honesty" and "tactlessness." It helpfully clears out a path between point A, our own lack of understanding, and point B, acceptance that our personal ignorance does not circumscribe the entirety of worthiness.

This is something we really need to keep being reminded of our entire lives. It's important to own this perspective whenever you approach something that others appreciate and you don't "get it." The lesson was cleanly delivered in the exchange between two ponies named after alcoholic beverages.

The other lesson here is to chase down and subdue people that you've offended, forcing your apology onto them!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:newspaper:

(viewer discretion warning)

You know... I almost feel like I should take this episode's lesson as a shot at me personally. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Not that something like this is going to change who I am or what I do. Because nothing has changed that before. Why start now?

On to the episode.

I liked this episode honestly. More than the last episode that's for sure.

I'm still not sure why Rarity wanted Applejack as a judge. She doesn't know fashion. She knows apples and that's about it. :toomuch:

So the problem ended up being slightly obvious. Still though. :eyebrow:

Who would have thought that Rarity could make a regular guitar do an electric guitar riff? WOW. :stararity:

Rarity's way of showing what Applejack did wrong was quite sly to be honest. Got her to realize her errors relatively quickly.

Either way though...

Being insulted for stating honest opinions huh? GEE. THAT SOMEHOW SEEMS FAMILIAR. I WONDER WHY. :newspaper:

I can't really say much about this episode but it was a pretty decent episode and I really liked it. Don't worry I'm not going to take the 'lesson' personally because I'm fairly sure it wasn't a shot at me. Maybe. :suspicious:

Either way this one was much better than the last one. Decent episode overall I'd say.

Current Status:

Stay: 80%
Leave: 20%

This probably won't last long considering what the next one is... :twitch:

For now though. It's all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2017 at 0:48 PM, Cybersbe said:

I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I am aware some of the characters were exaggerated or otherwise behaved in ways that didn't make much sense. But I feel there is an area where this episode absolutely NAILED it.

The Moral.

I am way too familiar with wannabe critics who are way too eager to use "it's my opinion" to justify behavior that it just CANNOT justify. You don't have to like the same things as everyone else, but that does not give a you a free pass to be a jerk. Although the conflict in this particular episode revolved around a fashion show, I feel it can easily apply to criticism of other kinds of works as well.

I also liked the attention called to the fact there is a FIRM line between critiquing a work and simply insulting it.

Indeed! Critiques are useful in some way. Insults are not. It's usually a simple matter to know the difference - especially in tone/mood. I suppose it's all a matter of being self-aware.

 

Also, did anypony notice Pinkie stuffing the guitar into her mane at the beginning? :ajlol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now