:ajsmug: Apples.

:duck: Darling.

:applejackunsure: Apples.

:raritydespair: Daaaarling.

:ajsleepy: Apples...

:raritycry: Daaaarling.

:ajsmug: Darling?

:raritywink: Apples!

Ok, ok for real this time. Rarity wanted Applejack to be a fashion show judge. Now if your first thought is "this doesn't make sense" that means you have watched MLP and remember Magical Mystery Cure and Art of the Dress where AJ shows her knowledge regarding dresses. If you missed it don't worry! In the first five minutes Applejack will remind you that this doesn't make sense. And as last resort Pinkie Pie will again tell you that this premise doesn't make sense.

The episode was more focused on being comedic than on feels so it means the episode will be very subjective to you viewers. Personally I did find few laughs but some of the humor didn't get to me.

The conflict of the episode is that one pony is oblivious about being problematic and the other silently suffers until she breaks and yells at the oblivious pony who then fixes everything. I might have described most of season 7 instead of this episode. So if the episode isn't funny then you might get bored regarding the conflict. To be honest I found it forced to begin with.

But wait! One thing that can salvage any episode are the characters. Even the greatest of flaws can be missed if you have enjoyed your favorite ponies on the screen! Well..

• Regarding Main Characters Applejack was her honest and practical self but she grabbed the idiot ball to create the conflict. Rarity grabbed the idiot ball and held it firm thought the episode. Pinkie Pie was being smart and stayed away while watching the chaos from afar.
  • Returning Support Characters featured the Hoity Toity and Photo Finish in all of their glory!
  • New Characters were a delight and at least one of them is already spawning fan art.

So in conclusion the episode for me was a mess. There are definitely things people will like and they won't be wrong to do it but for me this one of the weaker episodes of this season.

And now I shall give out awards to our participant ponies!

:applebelch:  Applejack wins the award for "Honesty". She dared to say the controversial truth that fashion is ridiculous.

:rariwat:  Rarity wins the award for the best guitar solo in MLP show.
:gasp:  Pinkie Pie wins the "Only Sane Pony" award. Shocking really. 

photo_finish___ze_magicks___by_triox404-  Photo Finish wins the award for having most beautiful eyes. 

:good:Sweetie Belle wins the "Pony not appearing in this episode" award.

So what are your thoughts on the episode? What was your favorite moment? Speak now!

1436473__safe_screencap_rarity_honest+ap

• Like 7

I consider Honest Apple the worst episode of Season 7 and easily the first one to earn my F grade in the season. 

The following why are:

-Rarity was illogical with her thought process in making Applejack a contest judge (that she forced it on her and prodded her on) despite how she doesn't care for fashion and that the excuse that she needed practicality or so is not really important for fashion designs where they're to display the fashionista's vision in whatever over the top and pretty design they can for models (who are going to wear outfits that is not going to be worn save for formal gatherings at best) and rich nobles so practical attributes is the least of one's concerns in a dress made by fashionistas other than to stand out and look pretty. Also the episode never really called out how it was essentially Rarity's screwup as she got what she wanted from AJ in her being honest and it blew up in her face for it but they blamed it solely on AJ.

-Applejack herself wasn't good either as she took it too far with criticisms to the point she ruined that valley girl fashionista's hat just cause 'lol hats should not have feathers and I taught mah sister that!' and pretty much told the trying contestants and judges that their fashion passion sucks ass. She became less about honesty and more just being a rude jackass. AJ's choice at the end to pick all three judges defeats the whole point in making her a judge as she's supposed to pick which one she thought was the best. Not only did I felt it was a cop out but also anticlimatic too. 

I feel they wanted to cast an episode where AJ's honest is used in a negative light, but executed poorly when AJ went too far with her behavior but most damning is that Rarity was never called out for it as she too should've shared the blame for picking AJ despite how fashion is not her strong suit as she may be honest, but she's a poor judge for fashion.

Still there some positives I did liked such as each of the contestants brought in and I feel the goth pony, Inky Rose, will get alot of love in the fandom out of three, Coco Pommel (referred to as Ms. Pommel due to Coco Channel throwing a fit for copyright) doing well, I love Rarity hosting a fashion contest to help aspiring fashionistas out in the business as this is really good move for Rarity's development in the fashion business, Hoity Toity and Photo Finish's return was good, I hope they develop more on Applebloom liking hats as I'd like for her to find one and call it her own too, Rarity's guitar solo was out of nowhere but awesome, and I liked Pinkie Pie in it too as her role was effective. 

This is a case where everything around Rarity and Applejack was good, but those two were just two huge anchors that weigh heavily against the episode and thus is the first F grade episode in the season for me.

• Like 4

I would also like to add that making all three ponies win was a cop-out. 

I still think the only way to enjoy the episode is if you find humor funny or you focus on every other character besides the main stars. Kinda why it is not worst for me.

Also Inky Rose already is getting love. Bronies work fast!

• Like 4

And this season actually started promising... Either I really grew out of this show or the writers kinda suck.

AJ just got "celestiaed". Just a terrible portrayal of hers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

The conflict of the episode is that one pony is oblivious about being problematic and the other silently suffers until she breaks and yells at the oblivious pony who then fixes everything. I might have described most of season 7 instead of this episode.

Holy crap, I didn't notice that.

So for my thoughts after watching the episode twice and reading @Nuke87654's review:

1. I think the main plot at the beginning was okay. The part where Applejack was teaching Apple Bloom how to use a hat properly was cute and Hoity Toity and Photo Finish bungling the picture with the disco ball dress and Applejack's reaction to it was funny. However, that's about it in terms of the overall plot working, to the point where I wish those two scenes (and the Rarity guitar solo, for that matter) were just fan comics/animated shorts instead of the first act of this episode. As soon as Applejack stared judging, the episode started to deteriorate. Which leads to:

2. As @Cinder Vel said, it didn't make sense for Applejack to behave like that. I can look Applejack laughing at the ridiculousness of the disco ball costume or when Hoity and Photo had an argument over two belts that looked the same and see that as being somewhat in character, but I don't understand her throwing what was basically a temper tantrum over the ballroom dress, the feather hat, Inky Rose's first costume or even the Syd Barrett*-esque bed head that one pony with Starstreak had, which is not helped that she hangs out with a pony that deals with this type of stuff all the time. If they replaced Applejack with someone else, or kept Applejack as a judge, but removed Rarity's "practically" excuse and just stuck with the really, really weird costumes and have Applejack snark at that, it might have worked better. As it is, what you have is the worst episode so far this season.

*Note:

In case your were curious about what I'm talking about, this character's mane (the one on the right):

large.jpeg

Reminded me a bit of of this guy's hair:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/13/d7/3a/13d73aafd8dd5b37b46ef7115ecef6be.jpg

• Like 3

It was an okay episode.  I thought AJ behaved in a way I would have expected her to.  Her demeanor with her thoughts on fashion being ridiculous in general fit her character this episode and she did try to avoid being the judge at first, but then her experience with Apple Bloom and the hat probably gave her enough confidence to think she'd make a positive impact with being a judge...somehow lol.  She ended up getting carried away with the practical nature of clothes and probably just got some tunnel vision, which led her to make some poor decisions with dishing out her criticisms.  That is all pretty believable, even if she did learn some lessons before or had the best of intentions at the start.  

I agree that all 3 of them winning did feel pretty weak.  I think something else should have been done for that part.  I would have expected by this stage of the show that Rarity would have taken AJ aside earlier on when noticing her harsher criticisms to remind her of what this was all about, instead of towards the end of the episode.  I get that they were just trying to portray the moral of the story though, but I think they could have arranged it in a better way.

I liked this one more than the last episode.  This is probably my 2nd least favorite one thus far.  I probably favor this one a bit more since I really don't care about fashion in the least and so thought her criticism were pretty funny.  Definitely a weaker episode though.

• Like 3

Yeah I do not think that AJ was acting out of the ordinary but character doesn't have to be out of character to annoy me. Then again maybe I am just tired of same thing happening where pony is oblivious and makes obvious mistakes just so the plot could work. You know I kinda wonder how would it go if Rarity picked some other pony like Dash to judge awesomeness, radicalness and coolness. Or maybe Twilight as celebrity judge and then Twilight having a nervous breakdown about saying something that might hurt participant feelings. They do pair AJ and Rarity far too often.  

I do find it odd that so far there are no comments about liking the episode. I know that some people did find it fun.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Yeah I do not think that AJ was acting out of the ordinary but character doesn't have to be out of character to annoy me. Then again maybe I am just tired of same thing happening where pony is oblivious and makes obvious mistakes just so the plot could work. You know I kinda wonder how would it go if Rarity picked some other pony like Dash to judge awesomeness, radicalness and coolness. Or maybe Twilight as celebrity judge and then Twilight having a nervous breakdown about saying something that might hurt participant feelings. They do pair AJ and Rarity far too often.  

I do find it odd that so far there are no comments about liking the episode. I know that some people did find it fun.

Speaking of which, we badly need a Rarilight episode or so. When have we had one of those?

• Like 2

@Nuke87654
Simple it was Look Before You Sleep. No wait that was RariyJack episode. Green Isn't Your Color? No wait that was Fluttershy and Rarity. Sweet and Elite? Though it was more Rarity solo episode.

I actually am unsure if there ever was an episode with Twilight and Rarity as the main duo. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

@Nuke87654
Simple it was Look Before You Sleep. No wait that was RariyJack episode. Green Isn't Your Color? No wait that was Fluttershy and Rarity. Sweet and Elite? Though it was more Rarity solo episode.

I actually am unsure if there ever was an episode with Twilight and Rarity as the main duo. 

I think the closest that came to it was "Gauntlet Of Fire", and even that, they were just secondary characters in a Spike episode.

• Like 3

My goodness, you're bed ridden with stomach flu for a few days and you almost miss a whole episode discussion!

I dont know what I can say that hasn't already been said, but i'll add in my pieces.

I was excited for this one. As a Rarijack shipper, I was happy to see them get some screen time together! I was even interested in seeing Applejack bring her touches of 'practicality' to fashion judging. Whatever I was hoping for, I didn't get. Instead we had AJ making comments and 'honest' opinions that anyone could tell were hurtful or insulting. AJ has had to learn a lot about honesty over the seasons, but its season 7! Shes on the Friendship Counsel, shes the ELEMENT of HONESTY. Shouldn't that mean she understands honesty it all its forms and degrees now? This is like someone representing the element of fire not realizing that SOMETIMES FIRE BURN HOT BAD!

And Rarity! Girl, you got the most country grown, blunt, HONEST, bull headed ponies to judge a FASHION show? DO YOU EVEN PONY?! Whats next, is Fluttershy going to man this year's haunted maze?

The episode wasn't ALL bad. Photo Finish's reactions were the best part. And Pinkie's cameos were fun. But @Cinder Vel said it best already that describing this episode is describing the season so far. Between this, Fluttershy Leans In, Forever Filly, even Parental Glidance, it feels like a Mad Libs book. I hope the latter half of the season gets stronger, otherwise, maybe it'll be best if this marks a coming to a close for Gen 4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GamerKuma said:

@Cinder Vel said it best already that describing this episode is describing the season so far. Between this, Fluttershy Leans In, Forever Filly, even Parental Glidance, it feels like a Mad Libs book. I hope the latter half of the season gets stronger, otherwise, maybe it'll be best if this marks a coming to a close for Gen 4.

That reminds me of this one comic from Cracked, where the first two seasons are the show finding its feet, Season 3-5 is the peak, Seasons 6 and 7 starts the decline and presents the last good episodes and everything after that is self-parody. For the most part, the show seems to follow this very formula and it wouldn't surprise me if everything after the movie (or perhaps even starting with the movie) turns pear-shaped. It doesn't help that most of the major plot points have already been covered and the writers are trying to grab at straws for stories.

• Like 2

Yeah, I dont know what happened. I dont know if they're getting pressure from higher ups to keep stories simpler since, yknow, kids show. Or maybe the writers are finally resting on their laurels? Or if they've just straight up run out of ideas. I agree that once a show runs long enough, unless it maintains a more complex narrative (like some long running anime), its hard to keep the show new and interesting. Again, we still have some interesting episodes to come according to the synopsis dumps we've gotten. Im REALLY curious about learning about AJ's parents. Fingers crossed we're just looking at a slow start.

I don't think it is recent development. Would need to rewatch old season but I am pretty sure this formula is older than I presented it. It is probably just coincidence really since they shuffle writers constantly. I mean if it was always same group of writers for all seven season then I would suspect something but right now we are dealing with fresh batch of people that only came since season 5. 

Alright, how many bits do I have to toss around to rotate the old ones back in? I'll even take Larson Alicorn-ing the rest of the Mane 6! Better yet, i'll begin the blood rite to summon Lauren back.

I thought this episode was a mixed bag. While I agree that Rarity's reasoning for having Applejack be the third judge was questionable, and that Applejack took it way further than I feel she would have being so rude to the contestants, and that having all three win was a cop out (which honestly doesn't bother me that much), I very much liked the moral and felt it is something that a lot of people nowadays should learn regardless of age. But I can't argue that the execution was very wonky. C- for me. Personally, if I were to rank this with the rest of the episodes, this one is probably just above Fluttershy Leans In as the worst episode this season, but I don't think any episode so far have been a god awful mess.

• Like 3

Dr Wolf just came out with his episode analysis with Silver Quill. Its a really good take on what a lot of us had been saying. Worth a look.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:17 PM, GamerKuma said:

Dr Wolf just came out with his episode analysis with Silver Quill. Its a really good take on what a lot of us had been saying. Worth a look.

Yeah, I watched it yesterday and its pretty much what most of us have been saying with the characterization of Applejack being the most glaring problem.

• Like 1

I am tired of Spike's crush on Rarity. Really... The CMC have grown. It's time he does too.

Applejack and Rarity pairings always seem to get me. Because the episode usually has in charm what it lacks in common sense. Honestly, the whole "honest" thing is one dimensional, but I can excuse that. Especially when Applejack is being Applejack. The episode just missed the mark on her.

You know... I think that the problem isn't Applejack. It's Rarity. She's the one that insisted in the whole thing. And the episode was aware of that. So I excuse it, specially since Applejack got carried away. Like I've said about other episodes, this season is doing a nice job of sharing the blame and glory among characters, creating balanced conflicts.

I can't really blame Applejack for being bad at something that is pretty much the opposite of what she does. Like other episodes, I think this one had a satisfying conclusion: characters weren't too stupid, understood each other's point of view and then Applejack came clear in the end, having learned her lesson. Not to mention that it was such a nice scene with her helping the others.

Finally, I liked the new and old ponies that appeared in this episode.

And Applebloom looks cute AF with that hat.

I'm going to swallow my words hard and hate them next Saturday, won't I?

• Like 3

@Metemponychosis
Aw relax. You managed to enjoy episodes that made people sharpen pitchforks and declare to be "The Worst Thing EVER!". Like this one and BigMac episode. And lets be honest so far season 7 was good. I am sure next episode if anything will be enjoyable.  

• Like 1

@Cinder Vel

None of these episodes involved Starlight Glimmer messing with my favorite and constantly abused character. Also, with Luna.

If it was any other character, I wouldn't mind, but Celestia is DHX's punching bag and Starlight Glimmer is the new Christ.

I feel like I need to say something about characters being OOC and why I think that AJ was fine in this episode.

Yes, she grabbed the Idiot Ball, turned it on overdrive, swallowed it and then hit her head on the wall a few times for good measure. But the episode called her on it. Rarity made her realize that she was being an idiot. AJ understood it and made amends. In my opinion, it's not Applejack being OOC, it's Applejack being an idiot before realizing her mistake, and the episode gives very good reasons Applejack thought the way she did. The conflict is balanced, one side is not obviously right and the other is not obviously wrong.

And then, next episode, when

Celestia and Luna are being idiots, realize their being idiots after walking on each other's (horse)shoes, I'm going to complain about it because Celestia and Applejack are different characters. I'm used to seeing AJ being stubborn and overly practical. Celestia is just going to be an idiot, Luna is going to be an idiot and nobody is going to be right. Nobody is coming out of that looking good because I doubt that the cartoon is going to take time carefully crafting the conflict so that the two sisters have good reasons why they're having problems with each other.

And I realize that I'm seeing problems with the episode before it airs, but I'm saying that based on what I know from the show and the episode's synopsis. Not to mention that I can admit that I was wrong if the episode airs and surprises me.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

I feel like I need to say something about characters being OOC and why I think that AJ was fine in this episode.

Yes, she grabbed the Idiot Ball, turned it on overdrive, swallowed it and then hit her head on the wall a few times for good measure. But the episode called her on it. Rarity made her realize that she was being an idiot. AJ understood it and made amends. In my opinion, it's not Applejack being OOC, it's Applejack being an idiot before realizing her mistake, and the episode gives very good reasons Applejack thought the way she did. The conflict is balanced, one side is not obviously right and the other is not obviously wrong.

And then, next episode, when

Reveal hidden contents

Celestia and Luna are being idiots, realize their being idiots after walking on each other's (horse)shoes, I'm going to complain about it because Celestia and Applejack are different characters. I'm used to seeing AJ being stubborn and overly practical. Celestia is just going to be an idiot, Luna is going to be an idiot and nobody is going to be right. Nobody is coming out of that looking good because I doubt that the cartoon is going to take time carefully crafting the conflict so that the two sisters have good reasons why they're having problems with each other.

And I realize that I'm seeing problems with the episode before it airs, but I'm saying that based on what I know from the show and the episode's synopsis. Not to mention that I can admit that I was wrong if the episode airs and surprises me.

True, I just wish it just stuck with the more flamboyant costumes like the ripped pants and jacket with 30 buttons.

You know, for all its faults, imagined or real, I can't bring myself to outright hate this episode, for roughly the reasons you mentioned. Something like, say, "Putting Your Hoof Down" or "Every Little Thing She Does" outright ticks me off, while this episode's faults was not enough to outright kill the experience for me. Who knows, maybe this one will be looked in a more favorable light in the future.

Also, I do agree that having all three win was kind of a cop out. Heck, even "The Cart Before The Ponies" didn't show whether or not the CMC got any of the cart rewards. I think it would have been fine if the writers had Rarity choose to have all three contestants have their clothes be displayed at her boutique, but didn't reveal who won the contest, just to give the fans some fuel for their headcannon.

• Like 2

Are Lily Lace, Inky Rose, and Starstreak references to any particular people? If so, who?

large.jpeg