I have a fic I very much enjoyed, that I read years ago but made the mistake of never bookmarking it. :sadtwi:

I'm looking for it, but neither I or anybody I ask can remember what the title of it was. I'm pretty sure I first saw it on EQD back during the season 2 or season 3 hiatus, and that it was on fimfiction.net.

Here's what I remember of the plot:

It's set before Discord was reformed but we never learn the main character's name if I remember right. Basically, Discord is loose and the elements of harmony are lost. This alicorn filly goes to plead with an ancient dragon (who may or may not be Spike, I don't think we ever learn his name either) to help her village, which will die without help as the winter is coming on hard (windigos have returned?). The dragon reluctantly takes her under his wing as a student and eventually the whole town moves into his cave to escape the winter, much to his annoyance (but his cave is structured in ways that show he clearly had pony friends who used to visit). Eventually, Discord's arrival is imminent and the filly tries to get her teacher to find the elements of harmony, but the dragon refuses so the filly goes out alone. She finds out that the previous bearer of loyalty hid the elements away in a nomadic flock of pegasi to protect them (which caused a falling out among the bearers). The filly tries to battle Discord alone and is nearly killed. At the last, the dragon saves her and bests Discord but is fatally wounded. The alicorn filly uses the elements to turn him into stone to save his life and use his power to keep Discord trapped in stone as well. The dragon's lair becomes a city and the alicorn it's ruler. She gets an orphaned dragon egg to try and raise, but that one doesn't turn out friendly to ponies. It hatched out and followed orders and stuff, then one day callously said it would kill its pony keeper and nearly did. The alicorn realizes that only an egg hatched by pony magic will get a kind dragon like her teacher, so she gets a second dragon egg and opens a school of magic to find a pony who can hatch it. And the story ends.

For a good long while, I thought I had just imagined it. But others remember reading it too, although none of us can remember the name. Do any of you know this story?