AI-senpai

"Non-competitive" Highlander?

I just have this idea, and I don't know how much or how little I know what I'm talking about, but I thought it'd be best to put it here anyway.
To quickly get it aside, if you don't know what Highlander is, it's a style of match-up in competitive TF2 play in which two teams of exactly 9 players go head-to-head in cp, koth, or pl (there might be another I missed), and only one player per team can play as any particular class.
So where my idea starts is here: even though it's mostly a competitive experience, wouldn't it be interesting (and helpful to those seeking to be competitive) if we (FIG) could have either a server, map(s), or events where we can have 9v9 1-player-per-class matches?

I realize that there are already opportunities for actual Highlander practice elsewhere, and this question is probably coming from someone who knows relatively little about the competitive TF2 scene, but since this is more of a casual-hardcore gaming community, perhaps said game mode can serve mostly as a way for players to get something a little bit different out of their gameplay--you know, just for fun. It's up to the player how they want to go about it, anyway.

"Non-competitive Highlander" would involve 18 players gathering together at mid (5cp), the point (koth), or some other random location (PL) for a dance party, the playing of rock paper scissors, or other shenanigans

• Like 2

Like, newbie mixes/beginner PUGs? Shouldn't be too hard to do if we can get a few dedicated captains and keep experienced players from playing other than as captains. 

Everypony from the leadership of FiG has to play, this includes Seth.

From what you've said so far, it seems that Seth is actually pretty beatable, even for me. Yes, please.

"Non-competitive Highlander" would involve 18 players gathering together at mid (5cp), the point (koth), or some other random location (PL) for a dance party, the playing of rock paper scissors, or other shenanigans

On occasion, possibly.

Like, newbie mixes/beginner PUGs? Shouldn't be too hard to do if we can get a few dedicated captains and keep experienced players from playing other than as captains. 

you know if its a dedicated server, it doesn't have to be solely focused on beginners. if we even do get a HL pug for FiG, its for the fun and experience of HL, not actual dedication and restricting other players from playing due to skillset. Yeah, make scheduled events if you want to organize pug events like that, but not only for one skill tier. not everything has to be about competetive

Mixed skillset PUGs aren't fun for anyone involved. The newbies are frustrated because they can't do anything, and the experienced players are frustrated that they're having to carry/rolling the other team hard. I've been in mixed skillset PUGs, and they were most fun when it was either entirely/mostly newbs against other newbs or experienced players against experienced players. It was a massive hassle during the transitory period to keep the games fun and the teams from being horribly lopsided. Lots of "(Player) needs to not play this class, and we need to swap this guy on this team for that guy on that team" and crap like that. I mean, would you really be okay with NFL players playing against a bunch of 4th graders in football? Do you really think that'd be fun or fair for the 4th graders?

I meant dedicated captains in the sense that they can show up and captain every week or whatever. Someone has to run the PUGs. It won't go over well in the long term if a new Random McAssClown is running it every week.

i didn't mean it in that context.

"they were most fun when it was either entirely/mostly newbs against other newbs or experienced players against experienced players"

I was basically getting at that. have the skillsets separated when doing those pugs, but not solely just newbies only. sure, have captains for them, but also share the server with the experienced players when newbies aren't around.

• Like 1

A Highlander Pub might not work so well, but an organized pub server with class restrictions could be grand.  Just allow 2 Scouts, Soldiers or Heavies instead of 1 and you've got a full 12v12 there.