WaterPulse

Season 7 Episode 11 - Not Asking For Trouble

Cinder not in mood to go into detail. Cinder had fun but episode not perfect. Pink horse fun, Yaks too dumb too live. Cinder makes another post later, maybe.

• Like 6

Pink pony great. Yaks stubborness problematic but effective for culture. Mane 6 helping them out a good turn. Lesson may give problems. A B grade for it.

• Like 5

Lesson simple, pride is bad. Lesson delivery different story.

Yak culture ask not for help. In Yak culture help is given regardless. Cinder still wonders how settlement full of Yaks that lived for many moons do not know how to deal with snow. Cinder also wonders how 6 ponies can clean everything yet entire settlement of yaks cannot.  

Cinder also must admit that Yaks too similar to Cinder's people.

• Like 5

Official Covert Friendship Mission. Equestria's Black Ops are next level, man.:ajlol:

Took me the whole day before I could see this one, had to stop twice and it still managed to entertain. I liked it. Very funny, very... Pinkie.

The yaks were particularly funny in this episode, compared to their previous appearance, where I think they were too aggressive and that was funny, but this episode made them a bit better.

I liked the moral and the ending, but I don't really have much to talk about it other than it was good. The humor was the best part and the yaks played the biggest part in it.

Also... Did Twilight just make plants grow with her magic or am I seeing things? Also... Did she just come up with an official title on the spot or was she humoring Pinkie?

• Like 4

I felt this episode was meh. Not very good, but not terrible either. The bits with Pinkie were pretty decent, but nothing really stood out much. Plus, the end of the episode confused me. Not sure what the moral of the story was, or if there even was a moral for that matter. Prince Rutherford didn't want to ask for help from Ponyville, but he was glad to hear the Mane 6 helped him behind his back? I don't get it. C-

@PixelGrip94 From what I gathered in the episode, Rutherford mentioned that he got into an accident where he was trapped in a hole for several days. Yaks that passed by said hole didn't bother to help, even when he was asking them for assistance. Eventually, he got out and that's where his pride on not asking for help came from. I suspect his escape was due to sheer luck; while he may be a prideful yak with good taste in music and cake, it's clear that he's not very good at emergency management. I can see him getting angry at first that Pinkie saved his village behind his back, but he probably thought of the time he was stuck in the hole and was touched that Pinkie did what those yaks didn't do.

But yeah, it's like the writers had two good morals to work with ("It's okay to ask for help if you don't know what you're doing" and "If you see someone that obviously needs help, help them"), but, as I said, it was kind of wonky. Plus, I'm applying headcanon to Rutherford in a similar manner I did to Spitfire in "Parental Glidance".

Pinkie was done well here, the yaks were portrayed better than they were in Party Pooped with how it really expanded on their culture, and there were some good jokes. 

However, the way the moral was set up seems...off. I get that they are trying to teach the message of "sometimes you need to help out even if the person you want to help says no", but like what pretty much everyone else is saying, it feels a little wonky. 

It is solid overall, but not one that I can see myself watching over and over. 

20 hours ago, King Clark said:

Pinkie was done well here, the yaks were portrayed better than they were in Party Pooped with how it really expanded on their culture, and there were some good jokes. 

However, the way the moral was set up seems...off. I get that they are trying to teach the message of "sometimes you need to help out even if the person you want to help says no", but like what pretty much everyone else is saying, it feels a little wonky. 

It is solid overall, but not one that I can see myself watching over and over. 

I think I'd put it above Honest Apple but below Fluttershy Leans In. The wonky moral and a somewhat OOC Prince Rutherford make it second worse of the season for me under FLI, which only had the problem of being kinda boring and unmemorable. This episode isn't terrible and definitely not the worst of the series, but it's definitely not the season's best.

Moral not west pony culture. Moral Asian Yak culture. Shame to ask for help. Help expected to be given. Cultural Difference. Or so Cinder hears. Cinder not mind moral anyway. Cinder still asks how Yaks survived countless generations without knowing how to deal with avalanche. Cinder suspects Yak just too stubborn. Cinder feels kinship.

Cinder have too much fun speaking like this.

• Like 4

Shockingly enough this actually not made me hate the Yaks...they were fine

Pinkie was great too, which she needed it after she brought Rock Solid Friendship down

• Like 1

So yaks don't ask for help and expect others to do it without asking? Given the situation, that was kinda dangerous.

I liked the episode otherwise, though. I enjoyed Pinkie in this episode as well as the yaks (even with how their king was acting).

Another one of my favorite Pinkie Pie episodes. This is my favorite moment:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

So yaks don't ask for help and expect others to do it without asking? Given the situation, that was kinda dangerous.

I liked the episode otherwise, though. I enjoyed Pinkie in this episode as well as the yaks (even with how their king was acting).

I hear ya, but it's really just what we percieve as danger and good/bad decisions through our cultural lens. I'm not sure to what extent they intended to write realistic culture differences but it seemed to be quite well done. :sunset:

On 6/3/2017 at 3:25 PM, Cinder Vel said:

Moral not west pony culture. Moral Asian Yak culture. Shame to ask for help. Help expected to be given. Cultural Difference. Or so Cinder hears. Cinder not mind moral anyway. Cinder still asks how Yaks survived countless generations without knowing how to deal with avalanche. Cinder suspects Yak just too stubborn. Cinder feels kinship.

Cinder have too much fun speaking like this.

BlackWater agrees. Friends for a thousand moons!!! :HappyPinkie:

4 hours ago, ChB said:

Another one of my favorite Pinkie Pie episodes. This is my favorite moment:

Ya picked up what I was putting down. *puts down 17 times* :ajlol:

• Like 2

With this episode, the mid-season hiatus is here. Therefore, this is the last 'viewer discretion warning' until new episodes resume in the U.S.

Yes I know you'll miss it (not)

To be honest... there's not much I can say about this one.

It had A LOT of funny moments though. Mostly done by Pinkie and her 'antics.' Which I ALWAYS love. :approve:

Shockingly... this episode almost got me to start liking the Yaks. Of course I already said the key word there. Almost.

Until they started being jerks again. This time due to their stubbornness to ask for help. :applebelch:

I felt sorry for Pinkie trying her best not to anger them. But their jerks either way... it didn't seem like it would matter. :doublefacehoof:

I don't really understand how giving them help without asking to give it to them was Pinkie understanding Yaks. Clearly I don't understand Yaks and never will. :confused:

That's about all I can say really. The Pinkie antics and some of the Yak antics were pretty funny in this one. Which made me enjoy it quite a bit. So I'd have to say I quite liked this one. It was enjoyable. :happybonbon:

Current Status:

Stay: 90%
Leave: 10%

Which means my MLP: FiM Fandom Status for Mid-Season is 90/10 Stay.

Something tells me that won't last long. Plus I still have my bad feeling. :flutterdear:

Take that however you want.

I think there is a very solid idea presented by the yaks desire to be helped without being asked to help (and even discouraged). Of course, this is just one perspective of it. I think it's the conecpt of assistance as an exchange versus community. In other words, it's the conflict between "I help you because I expect you to help me" and "I help you because we are family and I don't expect anything in return." :sunset: