Nightwing

What's your opinion on small talk?

I.E: "How are you doing,how's the weather,etc."

Personally I find it awkward whenever I small talk with a stranger... how about you?

It's always a little awkward to get the conversation going, if possible I try to lead the starting small talk into something perhaps more elaborated, it helps if you strike a common interest with the person in question that can lead to some really long and completely different conversations from what you started with.
But I agree, small talk just feels like a clumsy way to try and interact, so I'm not a big fan of it. I's rather not talk if I have nothing to discuss.

While i don't like small talk at all, i admit it's an easy way to start a conversation. Where it becomes annoying is when there is nothing interesting coming after, it looks like a loss of both our time. I'd rather say hi and jump directly to the matter, if it's to talk for nothing just stay silent.

Small / random talk is a big part of what I have to say usually, I'm not a very talkative person and, like a lot of other people, I've always been bad at starting conversations / keeping discussions going.

Edited by ArcticEight
Fixes

In my opinion it's very important and necessary.

At my university we have seminars covering social skills, and there was one only about small talk and the first impression. Wherever you work, chances are that you have to meet with businessmen from outside your company. It's about leaving a good impression and finding a good start.

It's an art of balancing your own interest in someone else without being too intrusive and minding the numerous social sandtraps. But when someone else remembers you years later, or thinks positively of you... it has been worth every minute.

Yes, Alpha has a really good point, same thing was said in my school, first impressions are very important as it helps the person you are interacting with to give himself a quick mental image of what kind of person you may be, of course said image will evolve to reflect the actual you over interaction and conversation, but it's mostly in the situation where you may not see said person for quite a while if ever again. So generally leaving a positive first impression is always the best way to go.

Now that I started streaming whenever I play I kind of have to do small talk with myself. Doing it makes anyone who does show up more likely to talk in chat and it also gives me something to do if no one shows up which is usually the case.

Small talk can feel very mechanical to me, if that's all the conversation seems to consist of. It's awkward asking the same questions with someone every time you start a conversation. However, it can also come across as rude when you don't inquire how another person is doing, so I would agree that some small talk can be very necessary, especially when meeting someone for the first time. I prefer having those deep, philosophical conversations, or at least, one that requires a lot of thinking and more than just "yes" and "no" answers. :) 

I can see how it's necessary to break the ice, but yeah, annoying and awkward.  I know the most acceptable answer to "How are you?" is "Fine", when truthfully I'm not really. And there's a big ol' long story behind that answer.  Why must we tell white lies?  I'd rather get into deeper subjects that make me think.  I may even add to the conversation if I have the energy to translate my thoughts into verbal words.

I hate it with the fiery passion of Celestia's Sun. AAAA....

Seriously though, I am not a fan of it, I suck at small talk. I get all tongue tied, never know how to respond and just usually end up nodding and saying yes or okay a lot.