Leonbrony17

Pony Life Episode 1: Princess Probz

Title: Princess Probz

Synopsis: The ponies help Pinkie Pie audition for a televised cooking competition called the Royal Jelly Juggernaut. When the rest of the Mane 6 are caught in a sticky situation, Pinkie Pie has to audition for the Royal Jelly Juggernaut all on her own.

Yes yes, i know. Two things.

Usually @PinkiePie97 creates the topics for the episode reviews and he always did so excellently well. But with him not having done that for the upcoming Pony Life episodes yet (which seem to be mere days away) and him possibly not returning i decided to do that in his place. I try to keep the layout the way he did it. If he returns, screw my episode review topics and go back to the ones he makes.

Second. There is no Pony Life section yet so i'm just gonna post the episode review topics for Pony Life here. "Why not in the EG section", you ask? Because we're still in Equestria and we are still ponies with 4 legs.

"Probz"Is it allowed to hate the title?

Televised cooking competition. And I hate the premise already. I'm not going on my typical rant about theme because screw it... The original cartoon decided in one damn musical scene that there are arcades in Equestria. 

I'm having a headache at the notion that I feel like someone animated what would be a comic plot.

I'll just copy-past my comment on the trailer from Reddit.

Discord came to Earth, turned Tik-Tok into powder and dropped on their water.

Now all the ponies are high. I hope you are happy, Discord.

Seriously now, I don't like it. But feel like it could be funny if it is not too stupid all the time like TTGO. The point is that a trailer is not indicative of the whole work just as much as an episode synopsis is not indicative of it. The cartoon managed to surprise me many times and I rather say that at least I game MLP GO a chance.

I don't expect to finaly see Princess Celestia finally doing what she was supposed to be doing in the actual cartoon, I expect her to do stupid shit, like I expect everyone in this thing to be doing stupid shit. Maybe it will be funny, at the least.

It's not like I can stop it from happening or that my opinion makes a difference anyway.

And I'll add the following: thank Celestia for fan made content, but who am I to judge... I've watched this...

And laughed my ass off. The problem is that it was a parody.

4 hours ago, ButtercupSaiyan said:

Can't wait for this to drop and you all to change your tune about it sucking. I'm calling it now.

What if I don't? Does that make me a hater man-child?

What do you say about people that love it without seeing it?

• Haha 1

The show is okay considering its target demographic even if it's pretty frenetic. I've got to wonder about the message they're sending with the potions, though: Drinking strange concoctions is fun and socially acceptable!

• Like 1

Alright. Let's see what we have here.

Pony Life Episode 1.

I like that intro song. It's cute, catchy and cheerful.

No goggles, Twilight? Aren't you supposed to wear goggles while doing lab experiments with fucking chemicals and stuff?

medium.gif

Those backgrounds look like they are cheap to produce.

medium.jpg

Alright in the first scene Pinkie Pie is running around slapping together "the perfect dessert" as she says it herself. Then Rarity get's ice cream in her hair and, she immidiatly starts crying.

thumb.png

The first thing Rarity does in this show, is crying, because she got ice cream in her mane. Not even one minute in and i might have already discovered the first red flag. Raritys crying is just the tip of the ice berg that is her overdramatic personality and she shouldn't just do it after something as silly as her getting ice cream in her mane. Getting upset and complaining, yes. Immidiatly crying like crazy, no, in my opinion.

After that Applejack looks at the viewer and says, "Did you miss this? I missed this?"

Is this a fucking 4th wall break from APPLEJACK?!?

Will there be more 4th wall breaks like this?

Not even 2 minutes in and i already feel a tiny bit alienated.

After finishing the desert, Pinkie Pie LITERALLY explodes in confetti, until her friends gather around waiting for her to respawn while Rainbow Dash says "Wait for it."  Pinkie Pie then reemerges and screams so loud that the desert (which looked like it was fitting perfectly fine in this huge bowl inside the house a few seconds ago) expandes and floods the whole house?

Uhh, who fucking cares because in the next scene Pinkie whips out potions and they start chugging them down. She noseboops Rainbow Dash,

75a47250ca012c8cac8c14a75ba015494c40f100

and mentions participating in the Royal Jelly Juggernaut with one of her dessert creations. All of which is overseen by the supervillain Princess Celestia.

medium.gif

I gotta admit, this face makes me chuckle.

And this whole montage which shows how that may look like they all see through a telepathy potion. Twilight says that keeping your workplace clean is vital for winning and that i could cost Pinkie her victory but Pinkie isn't listening because she just wants to practice and practice. But not before chugging down a remaining bowl of unbaked dough.

340?cb=20120505234738

The mane 5 look at all the chaos and dirt Pinkie leaves behind and decide that they have to stop her. Oh and Rarity faints from looking at her own reflection.

large.gif

I guess having hot pan you were just frying pancakes with on your head isn't gonna hurt you, right Pinkie Pie?

Meow? Wtf man.

medium.png

Rarity goes full noir and tries to distract Pinkie Pie by telling her a story while Pinkie is the one playing Saxophone music.

rendered.png

Rarity then puts make up on Pinkie Pie, telling her that the perfect look matters of course. Pinkie turns on the standmixer, get's thrown around by it a bit and then (for some reason i don't quit understand) the mixer dynamaxes and explodes, leaving behind this. Well, at least that's what it looks like after they thought trying to eat all that away was a good idea. Is Twilights teleportation spell on vacation or something?

medium.png

Around 5 minutes in we get this, mid episode screen? Okay, fine.

medium.png

Generic motivational speech which ends with a nervous and sad Pinkie Pie leaving.

While the mane 5 are trying to eat their way out of the pile, Pinkie at the Royal for some reason Equestria has TV now competition screws up on thing after another. But instead of failing (which i thought would happen to her) she finishes her cake anyway. A few seconds of fake suspension later, Celestia likes Pinkies cake, she wins and everyone is happy.

Back at Sugarcube Corner, Twilight apologizes for trying to make Pinkie do things her way but realizing that Pinkie doing things her way was perfectly fine.

Then Pinkie drinks another one of those magical potions and transforms into Twilight.

large.gif

End of the episode (which are now only around 10 minutes long).

Looking through the credits i see Celestia still has her original voice actor Nicole Oliver. She sounds a tiny bit different in this show though, in my opinion.

Alright. This was, loud, silly and dumb.

I give it a 5,5/10. I don't hate it. I didn't blow me away or positively suprise me. I went in with low expectations and what i got was silly and quick episode.

If the rest is going to be like this... Well it's funny. It just isn't very MLP.

When I first started watching MLP one of the first comparisons I made was with some cartoons of the time that were in the same vibration Pony life is and I thought it was refreshing that MLP was trying to be nice, clean and clever. I don't understand why take a step back like this. Low effort? Fan pandering? After all the majority of the fans are going to like it. It's the same strategy behind 3.5, but refined. It's just unappealing to take a children's cartoon and make it more childish.

Well, to me the answer is evil Hasbro goes mwaaa-hahahahahaha!

They know that this thing is going to trend among the fans simply by the fact that some people are going to like it to spite the people that don't like it to spite the people that do like it. It was designed to be stupid and reference fan memes just in the right way to ensure that the community would have something to talk about until the next product.

I don't even think that this is a bad thing. It's like the comics. Innocuous and irrelevant if you don't like it. Wild and funny if you do.

11 minutes ago, Leonbrony17 said:

Found my answer.

3.PNG

That should be Pinkie. Because she did that in the cartoon once or twice and because Pinkie is the insane zany one. Applejack is supposed to be the voice of reason when Spike is being abused otherwise and the stubborn practical one that cares about the family. Talk about not knowing what to do with a character. When in doubt 'muh appuls' or 'HONESTY!"

But this is the wrong way of looking at that. Hey, writers, you see that tweet over there? If you ever wanted to write a story where the Mane Six aren't quite themselves but you were afraid of making the characters OOC? That right there is your carte blanche. Have at it and throw this tweet at anyone that gives you grief, along with a picture of Celestia going "There is no wrong way to fantasize."

I'm dying to know what they are going to do with Luna.

I'm scared of what they are going to do with Discord.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leonbrony17 said:

Also, Pony Life non canon to Mlp FiM confirmed.

5.PNG

Bullshit! 

Discord dropped something to the water and now the ponies are all high! I hope he is happy.

Honestly idk if i can really get into this. It's not the worst thing i've seen but it's still not good

• Like 2

As a first impression of the show, I actually kinda liked it. After all the anti-hype around how unlike FiM everyone expected this to be, I was pleasantly surprised how immediately familiar Pony Life's characters and narrative tropes felt. The overall experience for me can pretty much be summed up as "FiM but at 2x speed with a different art style." Whether the speed is a bad thing I can't decide without seeing more episodes, although I should say that I didn't personally find it off-putting (much less overwhelming) as others did, the new art style is a good fit at this speed, and I suspect having the first episode on Pinkie Pie made it feel a bit more manic than the show's actual average manicness. I also appreciate that Pony Life seems to be skipping the adventure two-parters and focusing just on slice-of-life/friendship lesson stories, since the latter was always where FiM shined anyway (and the former probably would fall apart completely at this pacing).

That said, for me these two specific episodes were mostly okay, occasionally good, but never bad. I'm hoping these are some of the weaker ones (as some creator tweets implied), in which case I'll likely enjoy the whole season.

12 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

Bullshit! 

Discord dropped something to the water and now the ponies are all high! I hope he is happy.

It's a pocket universe created by Pinkie Pie when she was infused with the power of Chaos! ;)