Steamworks

S5 Episode 18 - Discussion

Where to watch:
(Some of the pages have the episode title in them already. If you can't bear to even know that, you should probably avoid them until it's time for the episode.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/3km1kr/mlpfim_season_5_episode_streams_part_2/

(Discovery Family is airing Canterlot Boutique, Made in Manehattan, and Brotherhooves Social in the run up to the new episode. If you're behind, here's your chance to get caught up.)

DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x397k4q

Welp, this episode was an official headcanon crusher, moreso than Make New Friends But Keep Discord.. Also, I decided to watch this episode via stream for once, and literally, an ad popped up the very second they revealed the marks... Capitalism is such a troll sometimes.

Still, I had expected them to go big for FiM's 5 anniversary, and they did.

(Also nice that Larson gave me this fun present on me Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary :awesomecheer:

This was quite an episode, I have to say and I'm happy to see the CMC get their cutie marks too!

Not to mention I feel pretty bad for Diamond TIara too, was quite surprised at Silver telling her off and have a considerable amount of hate for Diamond's mother.

Edited by Scratchpad Scootin

I may have half-laughed and then proceeded to bawl once I figured out what was happening. This has been so long coming, and they really do deserve it. Apparently their talent is helping others find their talents. And helping those who've lost sight of what their talents are.

I was expecting Diamond Tiara to get some characterization with this episode... was not expecting her to get a full-fledged redemption story. (I suspect she's still going to be a bit of a brat... but I think the bully side is gone. Shame on those who wanted to paint her as a hopeless monster.) Now she can shine like the diamond she's named for.

Shame on those who wanted to paint her as a hopeless monster.

There's always alternate universes. Thanks Many-Worlds Interpretation!! :awesomecheer:

(Such a thing allows me to continue with eldritch robot Smooze, a genocidal Diamond Tiara, and so on)

Spoilers Abound:

Simply a fantastic episode, probably up there as one of the best MLP episodes ever. However it really saddens me. All the loose ends are seemingly being tied up now: Rainbow flies with the Wonderbolts, Rarity has her boutique, and the CMC finally have their cutie marks, on the 5th anniversary of the show no doubt. But it tells me now that things are finally starting to wrap up at this point. Season 6 really will be the final season of the show. The ride is slowly but surely coming to a end guys

Hasbro has plans for G4 out through 2020 at least. Things aren't wrapping up so much as changing. 

Also, happy 5th birthday, FiM. 

Honestly I doubt they can go all the way to 2020. I mean what else they can possibly do now? All the dreams of the characters are starting to get fulfilled at this point now. S6 would pretty much prepare everyone of the movie in 2017 and that will be the end of FiM. 

Though I can see Hasbro shilling EqG till 2020. 

this episode is a door opener for many possible side stories, im really liking where they are going with the show, the universe is only getting bigger and possibilities just growing larger in number. also diamond might be best horse now idk

• Like 1

Today's episode is very likely very important to the future of G4. The plans revealed a few years ago implied the focus would shift to the CMC, likely as a spinoff. I'd wager part of G4's future will be about the CMC helping ponies with cutie marks much like the Mane 6 helping with friendship. 

I woke up in a pretty grumpy mood. Having a CMC episode where they start singing in the first 10 seconds didn't not alleviate it.

Oh, and now its going to be about one of the most overused tropes in television... Wonderful...

Oh... maybe not then?

It's sad i just finished watching Todarora! cuz after that, i feel a little saturated on the whole "Rich white girl problems" trope... Especially since it was done so well there.

Gotta say, TT's singing voice is pretty good.

I honestly think this has too many song.

HOLY.

F***ING.

S***!

THEY DID IT! I'M ACTUALLY SMILING! WHAT THE LITERAL F***?!?!? THIS INS'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!! THIS IS WHY I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

"(...)if Mom and Dad were here(...)" Wow... That about as upfront as they've ever been about it...

So, the beginning of this episode was so terrible i wanted to shut off the video, I'm so glad i didn't...

Well that happened. Still shell-shocked from everything, so I'll probably post my actual thoughts on it whenever I manage to collect them from all over the room.
Also, Hasbro, your Disney is showing again. Why do all the really important episodes have to be musicals, can't we have a 2-parter ._.

Singing at the start of the episode? Oh boy gonna be a musical one, don't know how to feel about this.
(two seconds later)
Hey the singing is actually pretty good.
(later)
Diamond Tiara redemption?! I was hoping it would happen and it did, i the best of ways!
Also somehow I knew that silver spoon would snap at some point, and it happened in the same episode no less.
Ok, actual cutie marks for the crusaders?! Was not expecting that, but man am I glad it did happen, also thinking back they did kind of foreshadow it now that I think about it.

Right so Applejack confirmed the "dead parents" thing, or at least strongly implies it, kinda sad really.

I generally don't like CMC episodes, but I loved this one, it truly made me feel happy and smile from ear to ear.
Cartoons are awesome.

DailyMotion link is in OP now.

Word of god already confirmed the Appleparents being dead back during Apple Family Reunion. Those shooting stars at the end were the parents.

My thoughts on the new episode shortly.

Oh hey, Sweetie's come far enough with her magic to pick up ponies. Also nice to get more Pipsqueak. Maybe we can get enough to have some canon personality for him.

Button got a line in the song. Awesome.

Diamond Tiara finally got her comeuppance. Silver Spoon delivering it was just the icing on the cake.

DT's mom is a cunt. Getting her comeuppance was pretty sweet, too.

And the CMC have their marks. Will they keep their group name since they're now crusading for others' marks?

Don't cry, Mac. I'll have to if you cry. 

I wonder how much all this identity stuff this season is registering with the target demographic. It should resonate with the brony crowd, especially the whole thing with Diamond Tiara and her mark and figuring out her actual purpose. A lot of young people struggle with figuring out who they really are.

It was quite good, DT is off my shit list now, and her mother is taking her place! 

Edited by Badshot

As long as there are bronies to support the show, toys to be sold, and little kids they're going to keep making episodes. I mean look how long SpongeBob's been running. They'll always think of more content.

Scoots still needs to either fly or come to terms with never flying. Dashie still needs to take Spitfire's place. Rarity needs to be a major player in the fashion world. Twi's still learning about princess stuff. Pinkie needs to throw a party greater than the gala. Sweet Apple Acres should be renowned across Equestria. Flutters could be a major mover and shaker in the animal care/rights world in Equestria. There's still places for them to go. 

I think this episode was major for laying new ground for future stories. Much as I love the CMC, trying and failing at getting their cutie marks had gotten old. It was time to put that plot to rest, so they can grow. And as the CMC grow beyond the search for their marks, something had to happen with Diamond Tiara. Her bully shtick had gotten stale. Either they could have her fall deeper into villain territory, or have her rise to redemption. Like Discord, this isn't the end of her journey. Diamond's just getting started, and I suspect conflict with who she was and who she wants to be will come into play.

This episode revealed she's got some deep scars and damage that aren't going to be easily overcome, but she wants to. Like, now we know why she was so desperate to win the flag competition. Diamond didn't want to hear her mother tear her apart for losing. (I have a sneaking suspicion that nasty comment she used against Scootaloo... she heard it from Spoiled Rich. Spoiled strikes me as very much the type that would make cruel comments about the handicapped behind their back.)

I think we also got a partial explanation for why Cheerilee never seemed to really punish Diamond. Spoiled runs the school board, and I suspect there would have been unpleasant consequences if she had. Cheerilee was holding herself back, for the sake of the other kids. After all, if she got fired I could see Spoiled using her influence to hire a teacher that would only care about the foals of "important" (rich) ponies. The others would likely find themselves getting no help and the worst of everything.

Anyone else around here notice Diamond Tiara's issue with her cutie mark vs her mom's expectations of her vs her own struggles with her identity? Is that stuff even really relevant to the target audience? Being true to yourself even if it clashes with familial expectations is likely relevant, but I don't think it's a major issue for 8 year olds. The struggles of deciding one's future at a young age and later not being entirely sure of the whole damn thing seems like the kind of thing people closer to my age go through.