Shadow Dash

An Idea To Stop The Spambots

Recently, email verification got turned on for new accounts to help to stop the spambots.

This has lowered the amount of spam, but there is still spam present, and there are several accounts that seem very suspicious. Their bios are taken directly from other pages.

The solution that I was thinking of was putting in a button on accounts to flag them as suspicious. Right now you can flag a post, but you can't flag a user.

That way, if enough flags were collected by one user, they could be temporarily stopped from posting until a moderator could review the account. Hopefully, that would allow us to stop the spambots before they begin to post.

• Like 1

Unless you made it so that the flags had to be from more than one person.

If we put a flag user button on profiles, and said "If 3 separate users flag an account, posting is temporarily disabled," I don't think any would just ban people they don't like. They wouldn't be able to actually get anything done, and obvious abuse like that could have consequences.

• Like 2

Hmmm... I'd suggest a post or reputation limit for using the flagging, but that tends to be inaccurate.

Maybe some sort of required explanation for the flag, to make sure that's there a reason behind flagging the account. It'd slow down the process, but it would prevent against flagging for personal reasons.

exactly its useless as soon as they do their job they are deactivated till next time

There's no way to do that, unfortunately. If you really wanted to, you could send a PM to a staff member with the suspicious profiles. Otherwise, continue flagging their posts when they do become active.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:37 AM, dashlight said:

about wich spambots are u talking about? (i'm just curious when i hear something  about spamming)

We sometimes get accounts that spam threads/posts, usually in Chinese or some other language. They're dealt with pretty swiftly, but they are quite the nuisance.

• Like 1

Here's an idea: the button that @Shadow Dash proposed would work just like the Report Post button, by just flagging it for a mod/admin to review. It's not a lot, but it's still better than nothing and/or getting hit by fairly frequent floods of spam threads...

On 9/28/2017 at 11:43 AM, Mystic Thunder said:

Here's an idea: the button that @Shadow Dash proposed would work just like the Report Post button, by just flagging it for a mod/admin to review. It's not a lot, but it's still better than nothing and/or getting hit by fairly frequent floods of spam threads...

These are all excellent ideas, but the forum software severely limits my options for stuff like this. Unless it's built-in or someone's coded a module for it, adding a new feature is extremely difficult.

• Like 1