Sign in to follow this  
Friendship is Horses

Dumbest Thing You Ever Did

What do you think is the stupidest thing you've ever done?

One time when I was dismantling a weightlifting bench, I took all the weights off one side of the bar at the same time and got knocked on my ass by a steel bar flipping up and hitting me in the face. Pretty sure I could've handicapped myself for life if it'd struck me a little differently. In a more general sense, the dumbest thing I've ever done is probably taking a soft major in college and then dropping out after two years, leaving myself with debt *and* no marketable skills.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the dumbest thing I've ever done is, but here's a recent one that comes to mind.

A few weeks ago, I was trying to rewire the power cord (for safety reasons) in an old tube radio that I've been restoring. Anyway, I must have made a mistake somewhere, because when I plugged the thing in, there was a loud sizzle and flames started shooting out of it.

I quickly unplugged it and doused the flames, and luckily there wasn't any irreparable damage. All I had to do was clean out the soot and replace two parts that had exploded.

The radio is working fine now, but I learned my lesson. Next time I attempt to do something like this, I should first seek advice from people who are more experienced than I am. Otherwise, I'll end up either burning my house down or getting electrocuted.

I think it's during my youth, I tried do do potions with true food seasonings. One time, while my parents slept, I heated some oil on a covered pan, and when I removed the lid to add some potion stuff, the oil burned literally, in a strong and terrifying torch.

The oil was ejected from the pan by little ignited drops and I could not take the handle without burn my hand hardly. After some seconds of panic, I took an oven mitt and put the pan into the sink, and opened the valve.

The fire stayed some long seconds burning the oil even despite of the water, and finally stopped.

No one consequences except little black marks on the wall and the ceiling, and oil everywhere, that I cleaned up before my parents wake.

I got talked into cliff jumping with some really stupid friends. They were jumping into a deep pool but it was too high, the currents were dangerous and the track record for that kind of thing has more fatalities than I can count. I did one jump and that was one too many. I hurt my hip and was aching for days afterward. I guess I got off lucky compared with a lot of people who risk their life doing that crap. I don't see the fascination with it and giving into pressure was idiotic. I don't usually go along with that kind of thing and it won't happen again.

When I was a kid, I like cars so much that most of my time was spent at the garage. One day while the car was on jack stands, the wheels were off the ground and so they spin around. Silly me was playing with one of the wheels and all of a sudden my finger got caught between the brake caliper and the wheel. I swear it felt like my finger was cut off for good but thank goodness it didn't. A trip to the hospital and a couple of stitches later in pain taught me a good lesson.   

• Like 2

Few year ago I was fixing my fathers Volvo with my brother because it had a broken bearing in the steering pinion. My father had of course bought a new standard bearing instead of the OEM part because it was so much cheaper. After thinking awhile we figured we can make it work if we use a hydraulic press to get the inner ring, the retainer and the balls from the new bearing. We didn't really give it a second thought since we had our safety goggles on so we were basically immortals. After adding enough pressure I could feel the bearing giving in and the next moment it exploded shooting the steel balls all over the place, I did hear them hitting the wall across the garage. Luckily no-one died and we got the car fixed but nowadays I try to think twice before I act.

Tried long boarding for the first time a couple months back, first attempt outside I fell and injured my left leg. Mostly good now but I do still have knee pain, and pain in my big toe.