Sign in to follow this  
Toki Zensekai

Looking for a new Gaming Headset. Got suggestions?

As the title says, my current set is starting to fizzle out, so I would like to get a new one before it goes out completely. I'm looking for a really nice pair of comfy gaming headsets anywhere from the $20 - $100 range. Thanks. :pwease:

I'm going to continue recommending the Steelseries Siberia. I've owned 2 of the v2s, but I haven't had a chance to try the v3.

You can also just get like a $90 pair of headphones and a Zalman clipon mic. Audio Technica ATH-700x (and the 500x) headphones are usually around that price. I'm considering getting the 700x and just using my Snowball mic full time.

Edit:

Stay away from Razer. Last time I had a Razer headset, the sound was really bass heavy to the point of being muddy. It sounded fine for gaming and was comfy as fuck (like "forget it's on your head" comfy (I eventually took the pads off it and forced them onto my Sony MDR-V6 headphones when they needed new pads, very comfy)), but I always had to switch off it for anything else.

Also, the lower end of your range is gonna be full of crap duct taped to more crap. Spending towards the upper end of your range is recommended.

Another option is a $50 Mod Mic and a $50 pair of headphones.

Any thoughts on the Turtle Beach Headsets? I've had my eye on the PX series headsets for sometime (those are the ones used primarily for Playstation consoles).

As for someone who listens a lot to music and wears his gaming headset most of the time, I can only recommend one company:

Sennheiser

German engineering coupled with superior sound quality and a high quality microphone, easy to wear... I only buy Sennheiser products at the moment, because they have never let me down in the last 4 years.

Aren't most Sennheisers out of his price range?

As far as the Turtle Beach PX series, I had one. The sound quality was depressingly meh. It was uncomfortable after an hour or two. I dunno if you have oily hair like I did, but the headband soaked up a shitton of oil and got real gross real fast.   

I dunno. I've heard the HyperX headsets are actually just a really good pair of headphones that the company decided to slap a mic on and brand as a gaming headset. I wouldn't say all gaming headsets are pure bad.

Another thing, I've heard open cans are better for sound staging than closed ones and that gaming benefits quite a bit from massive sound staging. 

Aren't most Sennheisers out of his price range?

As far as the Turtle Beach PX series, I had one. The sound quality was depressingly meh. It was uncomfortable after an hour or two. I dunno if you have oily hair like I did, but the headband soaked up a shitton of oil and got real gross real fast.   

Im not sure, but I think there are some below 100$, and they should be fine.

I like how you just said "german engineering" when referring to a gaming headset....

Sorry, but I recently read an interesting article about the company, and that fact really lingered in my memory. I think the founder got a lifetime achievement award.

Question: Do you want an open or a closed headset?

Edited by Alpha268

Razer Adaro DJ if you wanna spend a large amount.

Skullcandy XLR or SLYR if you want a good quality headset with a hq built in mic.

that's about it from me.

I have a Logitech G35 headset and it works really well for me. I cant remember the price of them, but I know I didn't spend over $70 for them. I've had the pair for over a year now and haven't had any problems at all. Also they are very comfy to wear and don't bother your ears. :rdwink:

P.S.  I wouldn't buy turtle beach headsets. I had one of their headsets and the wiring for them tore easily. :pinkieshrug:

I've been using a Turtle Beach Z1a for the past year or so, it's around $30, although it can get uncomfortable after wearing it for an hour or so, also * a lot* of sound leakage.

Besides that, I just use a pair of Sony headphones, since I don't use voice chat in TF2