Soldier Surplus

Possibly a server with a password lock?

It's just a suggestion but I wonder if we can make at least one server with a password lock... add it in with the event notifications. Just to prevent any a-holes from joining just by a little bit. I know it's not fool proof but it's something.  I know it probably won't be implemented in the servers, but it's just wishful thinking.:newspaper:  

How would we even distribute the password in a way that makes sure only the right people get it? We have admins for a reason; any assholery will be swiftly dealt with.

• Like 1

As far as muting goes, they're awful people. They don't need to be allowed here. They'll just turn on hacks or whatever if they can't use comms to be dickheads. 

As far as assholes being swiftly dealt with, I dunno. There seems to be quite a bit of time where all the staff are offline/AFK/otherwise unresponsive. 

• Like 1

As far as muting goes, they're awful people. They don't need to be allowed here. They'll just turn on hacks or whatever if they can't use comms to be dickheads. 

As far as assholes being swiftly dealt with, I dunno. There seems to be quite a bit of time where all the staff are offline/AFK/otherwise unresponsive. 

Trolls demand attention. If you b& them you're giving them what they want. In their mind. Nobody reacting is worse then getting b&.

So we let them turn on their hacks and just try to ignore it? Fuck that. Just throw their sorry asses out since it'd be impractical to castrate them and shove their severed testicles down their throats. 

Yes, let's let someone scream "Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OF HORSEFUCKING NIGGERFAGGOTS" over and over on mic without doing anything. That'll really make newbies feel welcome. Just quickly and quietly ban them. Who cares if that just makes their dicks harder? In the long term, we likely won't ever see them again.

Meanwhile, newbies leave because of the asshats and never return. Or the trolls turn on hacks. We don't need to foster cancer here.

Serious question:

The servers are just barely getting along as-is, and we want to make it HARDER for people to join? 

Yeah, this is my concern as well. If anything we want to make it easier to join the servers. Password locking even one server doesn't bring any sort of tangible benefit that outweighs the massive player loss that server would experience.

Im going to go through my friends list and make a listing for friends who would i would think be slightly interested in game nights and then mass invite that group when game night starts.  Ive done this a couple of times in the past amd its helped a great deal kick starting the server and maxing it quickly.

Also, we need to ensure that the maps running are popular stock maps for the first little while or so and switching to custom later and then switching back to atock if the server population dips. 

It would be great if other ponies could do the above as well

We will not be implementing a server with a password. This goes against our core tenant of Friendship is Gaming.

Also I feel this thread has disseminated into a "we hate pubs because they could be assholes", "we should polish up our ban hammers" rant. We will have more admins on during event times in any of the populated servers.

• Like 1

Also, we need to ensure that the maps running are popular stock maps for the first little while or so and switching to custom later and then switching back to atock if the server population dips. 

^ This. 

I think we grew a little too fast, a little too soon. It's all fine and well to say "we have three servers," but as I write this, all three of them are sitting empty. I don't think I've ever seen more than one of them have any significant activity at any given time, and I've never encountered a full server.

And you're spot-on that "weird" maps, while novel at first, often fail to provide a meaningful gaming experience and wind up becoming derp-fests. That sort of behavior drives me right out of any server. 

In all seriousness, I'd like to propose that we consider temporarily suspending two of them, and making the one that remains a stock-map-only server. That will help us to get some pub inflow, keep the regulars focused in one place and keep players interested. The idea of scheduling events and sending notifications also has merit. 

And don't be too eager to criticize randoms. (I'm speaking to everyone here, not you, User.) Sure, not everyone who logs into the server from the TF2 server search screen will be a good fit, but being randomly placed on the PF2 server several years ago is how I discovered the whole MLP community in the first place. 

Could we lock this thread? I don't we need anymore negative responses...

I want you to understand that I'm not saying this as a personal criticism or attack, but please don't try to turn FiG into The Round Stable. Civil discourse necessarily entails dissenting opinions. Thus far, it's been mostly mature and reasonable. Thread censorship just isn't cool. 

• Like 2

I'd say do what most communities do - if you have multiple servers, you break them down into different categories.  One server is Stock Valve Rotation only, another is Custom Maps, and another is one of the wacky game modes, like VSH or Prophunt or Dodgeball, or a smattering of them all.

So for the servers FiG has, you could do;

TreeLibrary (Still say this should be renamed to Golden Oaks IMO) - Stock Valve Rotation, Vanilla Gameplay (Crits enabled, etc)

Tartarus: Competitive "Pro" Maps, "Pro" Gameplay (Crits disabled, bullet spread disabled, no crits on capping intel, no first blood in Arena, support classes locked to a maximum of two (Sniper/Spy/Engineer/Pyro))

Barnyard: Custom Maps, Custom Gameplay (VSH, Dodgeball, Stop That Tank, UberUpgrades, etc)

Edited by Scherzo

Im going to go through my friends list and make a listing for friends who would i would think be slightly interested in game nights and then mass invite that group when game night starts.  Ive done this a couple of times in the past amd its helped a great deal kick starting the server and maxing it quickly.

It would be great if other ponies could do the above as well

I'm down for that. The more people the better

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who hasn't seen anyone playing on the servers in the last few weeks? I mean I see some people but most of the time its just empty

Edited by Sloterdijk

So for the servers FiG has, you could do;

TreeLibrary (Still say this should be renamed to Golden Oaks IMO) - Stock Valve Rotation, Vanilla Gameplay (Crits enabled, etc)

Tartarus: Competitive "Pro" Maps, "Pro" Gameplay (Crits disabled, bullet spread disabled, no crits on capping intel, no first blood in Arena, support classes locked to a maximum of two (Sniper/Spy/Engineer/Pyro))

Barnyard: Custom Maps, Custom Gameplay (VSH, Dodgeball, Stop That Tank, UberUpgrades, etc)

I have been thinking of doing this for a while.

Server one be a pretty much stock rotation with seasonal maps for the holidays, two being a comp server, and three being a derp about giggle bucket that floats between the two.