Sign in to follow this  
Steamworks

The Force Awakens

Going to see it tomorrow evening. There was a massive group of the 501st at the restaurant my family and I ate at tonight for Dad's birthday, who I assume had just come from seeing the movie. Didn't ask around too much, but the film looks good. Can't wait.

It's Star Wars. It's goddamned Star Wars, and we're all 8 years old experiencing the OT for the first time all over again. 

I went in with very lowered expectations after episodes 1-3, but was more than pleasantly surprised. The movie is hyped to hell and back, but it did a decent job of living up to it. I had a few minor complaints or criticisms, but.. They're not huge dealbreakers. Also, I have a friend who told me he's never seen any Star Wars movie ever (somewhow) and I do feel this movie would be a bit less impactful without having seen 4-6, but.. These are sequels so that makes sense anyway. 

Just saw it, only real complaint was Kylo Ren's voice, sounded too... weird, like it was his first time acting.

Also I agree that his saber was primitive, if you look at the blade its not as smooth but rather jagged with bolts arching across it. Though that could be a design choice.

22 minutes ago, Badshot said:

Just saw it, only real complaint was Kylo Ren's voice, sounded too... weird, like it was his first time acting.

Also I agree that his saber was primitive, if you look at the blade its not as smooth but rather jagged with bolts arching across it. Though that could be a design choice.

It is, since skywalkers Sword was normal.

Oh I forgot to mention, why is Luke's hand in the vision a skeletal prosthetic hand? Didnt he get a full in Revenge of the sith?

1 hour ago, Citadel said:

Return of the Jedi? And shit probably went down. They'll likely explain it in a sequel. 

Nah he got his hand cut off in RotS, because in the same scene Lando and Chewie take the millennium falcon to search for solo I think, then credits roll.

His hand was cut off in Empire Strikes Back (Episode V, movie #2.) Revenge of the Sith was the third of the prequel movies (Episode III, movie #6.) The original trilogy didn't use the word "Sith" very much if at all, IIRC. 

(The rest of your recollection is right, just the name was off.) Incidentally, his hand was what was holding Anakin's original (blue) lightsaber (that has a mysterious, story for another time, backstory) when it was lost. Sooo.. Yeah. Also, that lightsaber has a nasty habit of being used for a little while, then lost in a tragic way, forcing its former owner to make something new. 

Edited by Citadel
Nerded out a little there

16 minutes ago, Citadel said:

His hand was cut off in Empire Strikes Back (Episode V, movie #2.) Revenge of the Sith was the third of the prequel movies (Episode III, movie #6.) The original trilogy didn't use the word "Sith" very much if at all, IIRC. 

(The rest of your recollection is right, just the name was off.) Incidentally, his hand was what was holding Anakin's original (blue) lightsaber (that has a mysterious, story for another time, backstory) when it was lost. Sooo.. Yeah. Also, that lightsaber has a nasty habit of being used for a little while, then lost in a tragic way, forcing its former owner to make something new. 

Oh yeah... I forgot... *facedesk*

Sorry I was half asleep when I typed that, but yeah that lightsaber must be cursed. It hasn't been lost yet though, bu it's only episode 7, it might be destroyed by episode 9.

Yeah, I'm wondering. Also, totally speculating. And kinda hoping for an ole switcheroo when it comes to Rey and Ren's roles in the dark vs light thing. Would give Kylo a reason for being such a pussy bitch. Just sayin. 

4 minutes ago, Citadel said:

Yeah, I'm wondering. Also, totally speculating. And kinda hoping for an ole switcheroo when it comes to Rey and Ren's roles in the dark vs light thing. Would give Kylo a reason for being such a pussy bitch. Just sayin. 

He's trying to live up to the most powerful force user of all time (I don't think even Revan matched Anakin's minichlorian count) and is stressed out to hell because of it.

This was topic was about Star Wars. 

Now it is about Spoilers.

( They will make him , Revan, as strong so there is more to build on.)

In regards to the general oddity of Kylo Ren's lightsaber, so quoth the Wookieepedia

Kylo Ren's lightsaber used a cracked kyber crystal, which generated more power. The excess power was vented out the sides, thus creating the crossbar design he is known for.

So, in addition to the other purposes they serve (one of which, at least, we can clearly see in the movie), the crossguards serve to vent the excess power generated by the lightsaber's crystal - excess power that also makes the lightsaber's plasma blade look fairly unstable. Either that, and/or Kylo Ren's not very good at constructing lightsabers, a sign of his lack of training. :pinkieshrug:

Also, it's worth pointing out that crossguard lightsabers are not new.