Captain Clark

Top 3 and Bottom 3 Episodes of Season 7 So Far (At the Mid Season Hiatus)

Just making this in advance. I'll post mine when the US catches up to episode 11 (which is the episode before the mid season hiatus).

Feel free to list them now!

• Like 1

Okay... Not that I think that these episodes are bad. This season is among the best ones, so far, for me. So, even if I think that those are "bottom episodes", I still like them.

Top: Forever Filly, Parental Glideance and All Bottled up.

Bottom: Not Asking for Trouble, Rock Solid Friendship and A Royal Problem.

Edited by Metemponychosis
Derped hard on composition.
  • Like 1

Top three for me are:

Parental Glidance, Forever Filly, and A royal problem.

Bottom three: 

Honest Apple, Hard to say anything, and Fluttershy Leans in.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Top three for me are:

Parental Glidance, Forever Filly, and A royal problem.

Bottom three: 

Honest Apple, Hard to say anything, and Fluttershy Leans in.

Wow. I'm surprised to see Forever Filly that high up. I found it really average. What is your reasoning? I am very interested to hear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Wow. I'm surprised to see Forever Filly that high up. I found it really average. What is your reasoning? I am very interested to hear.

Only watched it one time and it really hit me on a good spot for how older sister wants to bond with younger sister since I have a younger brother and sisters to tend to. Who knows, I may view it differently next time I see it.

• Like 3

My Top 3 are:

1. Flurry of Emotions

2. Forever Filly

3. Rock Solid Friendship

My Bottom 3 Are:

1. Fluttershy Leans in

2. Hard to Say Anything

3. A Royal Problem

@Nuke87654 You really shouldn't take my opinion on it seriously. Have you ever seen one of those episodes that you know is good, but you just can't enjoy it that much for some reason? I guess FF is just one of those episodes for me. Maybe I just need to watch it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Clark said:

@Nuke87654 You really shouldn't take my opinion on it seriously. Have you ever seen one of those episodes that you know is good, but you just can't enjoy it that much for some reason? I guess FF is just one of those episodes for me. Maybe I just need to watch it again.

I know, just letting you know how I feel and a note that I like to keep to myself is that no matter how impressed or unimpressed I am with it, I can easily change upon a better and more informed view on the episode. It's why I don't like to take my first opinion on the first episode as absolute as I can easily end up flipping on it upon better inspection or so.

• Like 1

@Nuke87654 I haven't really decided on where to place certain episodes, but one thing I know is that Hard to Say Anything is going to be dead last. It's hard to say anything nice about that piece of shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Clark said:

@Nuke87654 I haven't really decided on where to place certain episodes, but one thing I know is that Hard to Say Anything is going to be dead last. It's hard to say anything nice about that piece of shit.

I agree it's one of the season's worst. It's a pretty poor episode or so.

• Like 1

I thought Big Mac and Cheerilee were a thing, that's what kind of bugged me. That fake faint she does for him in Filli Vanilli was so sweet.

Top 3:

All Bottled Up

Forever Filly

Parental Glideance (This is coming from someone who is NOT a RD fan - it was just a good episode and I want to learn more about Scootaloo!)

Bottom 3:

Not Asking For Trouble

Honest Apple

A Flurry Of Emotions

I do think there's more good than bad this season. It was a little difficult for me to limit my top three!

Top 3 

1) Parental Glidance

2) A Royal Problem

3) A Flurry of Emotions

Bottom 3

1) Honest Apple

2) Hard to Say Anything

3) Rock Solid Friendship(This one was actually hard as I found this pretty good, but Pinkie was pretty obnoxious so I put it here)

So far, S7 has been a huge improvement over S6, and really only 2 weak episodes so far(and even then Hard To Say Anything isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone made it out to be)

Ok, after The Perfect Pear, I feel the need to finally do mine.

Bottom 3:

3. Fluttershy Leans In: If you asked me my thoughts on this episode a week ago, I would have called it mediocre. However, after watching the Roundtable is Magic podcast, I feel compelled to be much harsher. 

The first problem is the pacing. It takes way too long to get started and takes way too long to end. This results in a really flimsy story because the middle is really short. The plot doesn't really go anywhere. Fluttershy hires these experts and tells them what not to do. They do what she said not to do. She fires them and...that's it. This is a really weak and underdeveloped conflict.

Secondly, the professionals themselves were assholes and underdeveloped. The professionals were also hurt due to the shitty pacing. Fluttershy directly told them what not to do and they do it anyway. What makes that even worse is the fact that they were SURPRISED that Fluttershy didn't like what they did. She told you not to do it, why are you guys surprised?

Lastly, the ending lesson stereotypes professionals as screw ups who should never be listened to. When you get down to it, professionals know what they are doing and talking about and they may actually have a good point. I know it sounds absolutely insane, but believe it or not, it's true. This is something that I am going to need to expand on when I actually review the episode. 

There are other problems I had with this episode, but I will also talk about those in my review.

2. Honest Apple: Applejack became Applejackass. Even if she had a reason to not understand and be confused by the fashion, that still doesn't give her a reason to be a complete prick to everyone. The three fashion designers were also bad, one dimensional stereotypes. 

As as bad as AJ was, I am not letting Rarity off the hook either. She makes AJ a judge last minute with poor reasoning and also never gives her the right training or advice for this job. She just springs it on her because the plot says so.

1. Hard to Say Anything: This episode probably has the dumbest plot of the whole show. Why the hell would the CMC and BM be trying to get Sugar Belle WITH A FUCKING FAIRLY TALE BOOK! How stupid do you need to be? As a result, the CMC and Big Mac are extremely out of character because non of them are this stupid. This is The Show Stoppers level of stupidity on the CMC's part.

Most of the jokes are really forced and stupid. And the ones that aren't forced and stupid are disgusting and creepy. Including that """""""""joke""""""""" (I can't put enough quotes around the word joke so I won't even try) where BM tries to force kiss Sugar Belle. It wasn't the least bit funny and was a sorry excuse for a joke!

Feather Bangs...good fuck! One of the worst characters of the series. He is a stereotype of young pop singers and is nothing but a DATED MEME! I am not going to say that I like Justin Beabers music (because I don't), but even I know that he doesn't make music like this anymore and also doesn't act like this. This was a joke that got old in 2009. 

Sterile and stupid!

Once again, I have many other problems with this episode, but I want to keep this somewhat short.

Dis-honourable mention: Forever Filly (inconsistent tone, paint by numbers predictable moral, Rarity looked like an idiot during the climax).

Top 3:

3. Discordant Harmony: Probably my favourite Discord characterization in the series. We see plenty of hilarious antics from him, but we also see how much Fluttershy means to him. He puts in so much effort to make sure that it fits Fluttershy because the idea of her being uncomfortable makes him even MORE uncomfortable.

The humor was awesome! Why? Discord. Nuff said!

Fluttershy also gets some major props from me too. We see just how much she loves Discords company and that she cares very much for him. That is shown no better than it was near the end where Discord is disappearing. 

The moral was also amazing. Well, actually, there are two great morals. The first one is be yourself. The second is about how great friends don't need to have everthing in common to be great friends and that not having anything in common doesn't mean that a friendship is any less true.

2. Parental Glideance: RD's parents were a joy to watch. Seeing them both be so supportive of Dash was heartwarming and the way they expressed it was hilarious. However, they were also far from the only funny things here.

We see another shade of Scootaloo's character here with how she helps RD appreciate her parents more and I also loved seeing her fangirl about seeing RD's parents. I would normally find something like that really annoying, but here it was really cute. I loved how this episode and experience brought Scootaloo and RD even closer together.

RD herself was well written here too. She played off of her parents well and when she realized that she made a mistake by yelling at her parents, she putt in an effort to make amends and make it right again. Considering her track record in S6, that is always refreshing.

Another thing is that the Wonderbolts were done well here. They did do a little bit of teasing, but it make sense for the situation and wasn't mean spirited at all. Then at the end when RD wanted to make amends with her parents, they agreed to help her and were also more than happy to do so.

This was a hilarious and heartwarming episode all the way to the end.

1. The Perfect Pear: Speaking of heartwarming, The Perfect Pear!

Everything was done amazingly here. The relationship and romance between Bright Mac and Pear Butter felt really natural and real. We really see their love grow throughout the episode and I completely believe it. Also, the song that Pear Butter sings to Bright Mac was absolutely beautiful and amazing. It really makes my eyes water.

I loved how it expands on established characters like Mayor Mare and Miss Cake by giving them stories to tell of the Apple parents and how they actually knew them. 

The moral of dealing with grief was great and done masterfully. Nobody says the word death once but there are plenty of subtle hints throughout the episode that directly imply that the parents are indeed dead.

Grand Pear is an excellent character. William Shatner did an amazing job and really brought the character to life. However, he is a very tragic character as well. He let the feud get in the way of family and completely rejected Pear Butter. He strongly regrets that now and he always will. He will never be able to apologize to Pear Butter now. Why? She is dead. He will never see her again. The grief will live inside him for the rest of his life. It becomes even more tragic when see just how much he has changed. He is a genuinely sweet and kind man who has seen the error in his ways. Unfortunately, it is too late.

The Perfect Pear is one of the most mature episodes of this show. As a result, it is another episode that I could about a lot more and will do so in the actual review for it.

Honourable mention: All Bottled Up (friendship between Starlight and Trixie explored more, great arc for Starlight, good humour, great moral, creative storytelling. Also, TEACUP TEACUP TEACUP TEA-CUP!!! You know what you need? A TEACUP!!)

Top:

1. The perfect pear. Because of such lovely and sad story.

2. All bottled up. Very close situation for me. Me - Starlight, my best friend/boyfriend/favourite person - Trixie.

3. A royal problem. Princesses and great faces.

Bottom:

13. Hard to say anything. Girls are just trophies, learn this, kids.

12. A Flury of emotions. Twi, why don`t you teleport? And why you bring kid to sick fillys?

11. Not asking for trouble. Just because other 10 episodes better for me, that this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martesa said:

Girls are just trophies, learn this, kids.

That's actually a good point. It would really help if we saw more between Sugar Belle and Big Mac before the ending and if Sugar was given more of a personality. The episode not being cliched garbage also wouldn't hurt.

Top 3 

Perfect Pear

Discordant Harmony

A Royal Problem

Bottom 3

Honest Apple

Forever Filly

Not Asking for Trouble 

Also didn't care for All Bottled Up. I just didn't like some of the animated effects for the episode.