WanderPony

How the constant drama ruined the show for me

I've been enjoying most of the recent episodes of the series. I still laugh at the jokes, I enjoy the great character interactions that have been there since day one, and I find the worldbuilding to be interesting. Yes, I even like Starlight, Flurry Heart, and the reformed changelings.

But every time I check Equestria Daily or Derpibooru, here's what I see in the comments.

“Starlight is a terrible character!”

“I'm mad that Celestia still doesn't have an episode!”

“This character looks like a bad OC!”

“The Mane Six were OOC and the plot was boring/cringeworthy!”

“Come back, old writers! The new ones are inexperienced hacks!”

“This character is getting too much exposure!”

“Stop it with the pandering!”

“Why are they forgiving this antagonist for their previous atrocities?!”

It's at the point where, no matter how much I enjoy an episode, I ALWAYS anticipate that the commenters will hate it.

I think I first started noticing people complaining a lot during Season 3, but it became especially noticeable in Season 5. Though I think it was after I saw all the negative comments on The Cart Before the Ponies in Season 6 that I started wondering if the show was no longer objectively good, and I started dreading the announcement of future seasons.

You could call the show my guilty pleasure, for lack of a better term. I feel like it's no longer objectively good, but I still like it.

Seriously, this complaining is EVERYWHERE. It's impossible to ignore. In episode followups, one of the highest rated comments is ALWAYS a negative one. Also, look up a Starlight image on Derpibooru, and you WILL see at least one hater in the comments. In fact, Starlight haters love to accuse people who DO like the character of being ass-kissing Hasdrones.

Another thing that I should note: a friend of mine on deviantART used to really like the show. She was annoyed by the rabid Faust-worshippers, and defended the show's changes a lot. Then, while she liked Season 5, she was a lot more critical of it than the previous seasons, complaining about episodes like Slice of Life and DPDoMS. Then after Season 6, she became a VERY vocal Starlight hater. She posts a lot of hate journals and faves a lot of other people's anti-Starlight art and rant journals.

What happened with my DA friend makes me worried that sooner or later, I'LL end up hating a change in the show as well, no matter how much I enjoy it right now.

Every time a new season is announced, I wonder why the fandom is so excited for it. Aren't they aware that it's going to contain MORE of the stuff they hate? I want the show to end because I know that Season 8 will just contain even more bitching and moaning, and if the show ends, so will the negativity. I keep seeing commenters say that the show is immune to suffering the fate of SpongeBob and The Simpsons due to it constantly changing, which is ironic, since those very changes are specifically what's pissing people off.

So, yeah. I've been annoying people on EQD, Derpibooru, and Reddit because I want to remind people that Season 8 is a terrible idea because of the aforementioned complaints. I'm not sure whether the show has gotten worse, or if the fandom has become more negative and critical. If it's the former, then I have a valid reason to want the show to end. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

TLDR: Just read the damn thing.

There are too many different kinds of people and thus too many different tastes and preferences, so the entire fanbase will never be pleased anyways. And negativity is easier than positivity as you can already see. Personally, I rarely read comments about the show, but that's mostly due to apathy toward general fan reaction.

I'm definitely guilty of making petty complaints (and I'll add that I have my reasons for doing so, though I'm pretty sure everyone else will say the same thing), and one of the ways I've tried to mitigate my own negativity is to review episodes of the show so I can try to find stuff that I liked and not simply be a mindless complainer.

You'll just have to decide how to handle the online comments you see. If the show gets cancelled, there will no doubt be people who will moan and bitch anyways whether it's because something they like has been cancelled, or maybe they'll feel empty about having nothing to bitch about.

• Like 1

Yeah people complain. But at the same time there are still a lot that just enjoy the show. The difference is that haters feel the need to make their hate be known and hate attracts more attention. But they aren't majority, they are just loud. And it isn't like there aren't the opposite extremists who love the show and want their opinions to be known. But well criticism and hate are more noticeable to the human mind because they bother the mind, unlike love which is expected by default. But in the end the majority of people are simply silently enjoying the show and staying away from drama.

2 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Also, look up a Starlight image on Derpibooru, and you WILL see at least one hater in the comments

And honestly this is what really annoys me about haters. Normal people would simply avoid things they don't like. But haters on internet are special species. 

And if you didn't succumb to the illness yet then you won't. There is a difference anyway between noticing the show flaws and sticking to the show with sole reason being to complain to everyone who want and don't want to hear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

And it isn't like there aren't the opposite extremists who love the show and want their opinions to be known.

At least the people with rose-colored glasses have a reason to continue watching the show, unlike the ones with piss-colored glasses.

• Like 2

Another thing I don't understand is why the complainers have to be so snide and condescending about it. Like coming up with derogatory nicknames for Starlight, for instance.

@WanderPony Because they really, really don't like her, and she keeps getting airtime that could be going towards the characters that got them to love a little girls' show in the first place. She was originally intended to be disliked, you know, as a villain, and for some people, that worked so well that when the writers pulled a 180 on her character, they called bullshit and kept on hating her. I can see where they're coming from, even if I tend to like her episodes because she and her new friends still have plenty of lessons to learn and character development to explore. Whereas the Mane 6 are kind of just spinning their wheels at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Friendship is Horses said:

@WanderPony Because they really, really don't like her, and she keeps getting airtime that could be going towards the characters that got them to love a little girls' show in the first place. She was originally intended to be disliked, you know, as a villain, and for some people, that worked so well that when the writers pulled a 180 on her character, they called bullshit and kept on hating her. I can see where they're coming from, even if I tend to like her episodes because she and her new friends still have plenty of lessons to learn and character development to explore. Whereas the Mane 6 are kind of just spinning their wheels at this point.

With this said, you think Starlight is a good enough reason for the show to end?

Thank you for proving my point, BTW.

@WanderPony I know exactly where you're coming from because, at one point, the fanbase ruined the show for me too.  I was a regular on MLP Forums for a long time.  But the constant "debating" of every single aspect of the show started getting to me.  I was being bombarded by trifling complaints on a daily basis; everything from "weak storyline" and "poor writing" to "no character development for [insert pone here]" and "[insert pone here] getting too much airtime.  After a while I started to pay more attention to the "flaws" that were being pointed out than I was to the show itself.  And finally I began to hate the fanbase as well as the show.

I was away from MLP for about a month before I realized why something that had brought me a lot of happiness was no longer doing so.  It wasn't the show that was flawed at all.  It was the toxic fanbase that we Bronies have become.  I'd gotten too caught up in the opinions of others that I'd forgotten what it was that had brought me into the Herd to begin with.  I started out watching the show as an individual and came to enjoy it.  But, delving too deeply into the fandom caused me to lose sight of the simple pleasure of MLP, losing it in a haze of negativity and bitterness produced by fans I'd come to associate myself with.  

So, after clearing my mind of all the negativity and taking a few preventative measures, I returned to the fold and haven't wavered since.

Here are a few handy tips that will help you maintain your interest in MLP:

1.  Invest in a good extension - I'm running one on Chrome called Shut Up that prevents user comments on most boards from loading.    Ignore what others think or say because, as you've noticed already, the amount of hate usually exceeds anything worth reading.  This extension will help you immensely.  

2.  Don't watch analysis or review videos - Because, in the end, the only opinion that you really need to concern yourself with is your own.  Think for yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.  If you're a fan of such videos, just take what is being stated in them with a grain of salt.

3.  Avoid internet forums -

Forum /ˈfôrəm/

Noun

1.  A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

So basically joining a forum is tantamount to throwing yourself into a steaming pile of everything you don't want to be exposed to anymore.  Avoid them if possible and, if not, limit your activity to discussions that don't leave you feeling bitter and jaded.  Steer clear of MLP Forums at any cost.  

These are the steps I followed to restore my love of MLP.  If you choose a similar path, you may have similar results.

• Like 2

This is beginning to do the same to me honestly.

Because 'bronies' continue to prove to me that they can't handle controversial and/or negative opinions.

I still watch and like the show but I'm starting to not want to call myself a 'brony' due to this. It's almost making me take the side of anti-bronies and want to join them.

What?

It's the truth.

:newspaper:

Ehh fandoms are fandoms and brony fandom is no different. Just stick with people you actually enjoy and don't pick pointless arguments ever. Seriously yelling at wall is more productive than arguing on internet. You aren't obligated to care about what ever single brony thinks, just to tolerate them.

18 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

Because 'bronies' continue to prove to me that they can't handle controversial and/or negative opinions.

That reminds me. When you greeted me you said you are controversial one. I have yet to see you say a single controversial thing! Is the controversial part that you like Final Fantasy series?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Yeah people complain. But at the same time there are still a lot that just enjoy the show. The difference is that haters feel the need to make their hate be known and hate attracts more attention. But they aren't majority, they are just loud. And it isn't like there aren't the opposite extremists who love the show and want their opinions to be known. But well criticism and hate are more noticeable to the human mind because they bother the mind, unlike love which is expected by default. But in the end the majority of people are simply silently enjoying the show and staying away from drama.

And honestly this is what really annoys me about haters. Normal people would simply avoid things they don't like. But haters on internet are special species. 

And if you didn't succumb to the illness yet then you won't. There is a difference anyway between noticing the show flaws and sticking to the show with sole reason being to complain to everyone who want and don't want to hear.

The show is probably doing something right if the haters are sticking around so long to express their disdain for everything about the show that comes up. As in, the show is igniting their interests at the very least. In a way, loving a show isn't so different from hating it  because both sides will be passionate about their comments.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WanderPony said:

With this said, you think Starlight is a good enough reason for the show to end?

Starlight is one of the main reasons for the show *not* to end. Like, the episode where she and Maud hang out. You watch that and you're like, "cool, this is new, this is a different side of these characters we've never seen before." Who knew Starlight liked kites? And Maud needed a fellow outsider to open up to a little about how she feels out of place in the world. So it's not even just about Starlight, it's about introducing a new situation, in this case a reformed magical maniac learning how to be good, that brings out new interactions with the established cast. Otherwise you're just getting "look how different Applejack and Rarity are, lol" for the umpteenth time. Been there, seen that! You can only cut so many slices of life out of the same pie.

• Like 2

What I don't understand is why do people still consider themselves fans of the show if all they is complain about everything? That's why I just enjoy it for what it is.

Also, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I blame the YouTube analysis community for making the fanbase so hiveminded.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2017 at 6:20 PM, Cinder Vel said:

That reminds me. When you greeted me you said you are controversial one. I have yet to see you say a single controversial thing! Is the controversial part that you like Final Fantasy series?

No. I hate Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord and consider them HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters.

38 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

No. I hate Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord and consider them HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters.

And this is a controversial opinion, why?

• Like 1

@LostSanity

So you hate characters that are designed to be horrible, annoying and infuriating? Sounds to me like common sense. I suppose having common sense is controversial.

Pllllleeeasee. I am more controversial. I think Derpy is not mother of Dinkey because they were never seen together. And Luna sucks.

• Like 1

If only all of you could point that out to the power abusing mods of the other MLP: FiM forums that have illegally banned me.

@LostSanity

Does that include Canterlot and MLPForums? Because I've heard these are the kind of places that will ban you even if you so much as sneeze. In other words, not good forums to be in.

1 minute ago, WaterPulse said:

@LostSanity

Does that include Canterlot and MLPForums? Because I've heard these are the kind of places that will ban you even if you so much as sneeze. In other words, not good forums to be in.

At this point this is the only MLP: FiM forum that hasn't illegally banned me.

I never joined MLPForums due to the horror stories I heard.

You'll get "super" fans that have to knock down anything that doesn't cater to them specifically, you'll have certain fans who feel strongly about this or that, and then you'll have fans (like me) who enjoy pretty much everything. This happens with any fandom from games, movies etc.

• Like 2

I should also note that I'm dreading the Season 7 finale, because I know that no matter how much I enjoy it, they're going do make some sort of big change that'll piss the rest of the fandom off, and EQD and Derpibooru will be filled with commenters complaining that the finale was poorly written and the change was completely pointless.

Just like EVERY finale.

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

I should also note that I'm dreading the Season 7 finale, because I know that no matter how much I enjoy it, they're going do make some sort of big change that'll piss the rest of the fandom off, and EQD and Derpibooru will be filled with commenters complaining that the finale was poorly written and the change was completely pointless.

Just like EVERY finale.

I'll also be making my final decision on whether I stay or quit the fandom after the S7 finale.

So if you don't hear from me... that should be a pretty clear indication on what my decision is.

:newspaper: