WanderPony

How the constant drama ruined the show for me

44 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

So if you don't hear from me... that should be a pretty clear indication on what my decision is.

I believe we are owed a CM Punk-style shoot interview before your exit.  And I, for one, will not accept your resignation from the fandom until I get it.

2 hours ago, WanderPony said:

I should also note that I'm dreading the Season 7 finale, because I know that no matter how much I enjoy it, they're going do make some sort of big change that'll piss the rest of the fandom off, and EQD and Derpibooru will be filled with commenters complaining that the finale was poorly written and the change was completely pointless.

Just like EVERY finale.

Then just stop reading them.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WanderPony said:

I should also note that I'm dreading the Season 7 finale, because I know that no matter how much I enjoy it, they're going do make some sort of big change that'll piss the rest of the fandom off, and EQD and Derpibooru will be filled with commenters complaining that the finale was poorly written and the change was completely pointless.

Just like EVERY finale.

If you enjoy the season 7 finale while a ton of other people hate it, that doesn't mean you should stop liking it. There's not much the haters can do anyways. And I should know because there are plenty of episodes that I hate, and I won't do anything about others liking the episodes I hate.

• Like 1

Alright, so maybe I'll block all the overly negative users on EQD. And maybe I'll hide the "drama" and "op is a duck" tags on Derpibooru. But there's still another problem: that deviantART friend I mentioned.

Me and her are very close. We've shared ideas for feature films together, and commented on each other's stuff a lot. And yet I still have to deal with her anti-Starlight journal entries. (I could link you to one, but I don't want to reveal her username for fear of you going to her page and being negative.)

The weird part is that she used to be VERY defensive of the show's changes. She often made fun of the people who hated Equestria Girls and Flash Sentry. Then she became very critical of Season 5 episodes like Slice of Life and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep, then announced her hatred for Starlight after Season 6 ended. Since then, it seems like there's barely any Season 6-7 episodes she likes.

Thankfully, she's more mature about her Starlight hate than most people are. She doesn't draw pictures of the Mane Six murdering her, dancing in her blood, and eating her organs, neither does she call anyone who likes Starlight an ass-kissing Hasdrone.

But every time I see her aforementioned anti-Starlight journals, or an anti-Starlight picture or journal she faved, it makes me worried that I'll fall victim to the "the show is terrible" disease just like she did, plus it makes me feel bad about liking the show, AND it makes me wish there wouldn't be a Season 8, since she and the other negative nancies will just continue to complain about each and every episode.

I am NOT going to unwatch her, as I'm a very good friend of hers and that would hurt her feelings, and make me feel bad as well. But what should I do?

• Like 1

@WanderPony My advice is not to value other people's opinions more than your own. Be secure in your enjoyment of the show, and learn how to be exposed to contradictory opinions without letting them sway you or make you feel bad. Like, when people say that Rainbow Dash isn't the best pony, instead of having any nagging doubts about the validity of their absurd claims, I just think about how awesome she is and then challenge them to a duel. You've got to get into a "fuck 'em" mindset. Don't overdo it though or you'll turn into an asshole. But it's healthy in moderation. Fuck 'em, Starlight's great.

@LostSanity I'm with Jabrony up there, I'll be disappointed if you don't make a big fuss on your way out.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, WanderPony said:

I am NOT going to unwatch her, as I'm a very good friend of hers and that would hurt her feelings, and make me feel bad as well. But what should I do?

You're going to have to accept your friend's opinions and respect them even though they're different from your own.  But, at the same time, as FiH stated, you need to place the higher value on your own opinions and demand that your friend give them equal respect.  

I mean, seriously, if you enjoy the show why would you let someone else's negative opinions ruin it for you?  You don't need the approval of anyone else to like MLP.  Just trust your own judgement and stop letting other people influence it.

• Like 3

@J. Brony @Friendship is Horses

To be honest... I've been thinking a lot about that...

It's starting to become a situation where I honestly feel like doing something like that is a waste of time. Because it would accomplish absolutely nothing.

Plus I'd inevitably get whiny shit for it.

1 hour ago, LostSanity said:

Plus I'd inevitably get whiny shit for it.

And here I was living under the assumption that you had some kind of weird, masochistic desire to provoke all of the negative  attention you've garnered thus far.  Color me surprised.

But far be it from me to try and dissuade anyone from leaving the Herd, whether it be out of disgust for the show itself or its overly-negative fanbase,  In my time I've done both, yet I always return.  If being a part of the MLP fandom is causing you more harm than good, then I say get out while the gettin' is good.

But, in my experience, you never really appreciate what you have until you've lost it.  And, like me, you should acknowledge that you can always come back if you end up regretting your choice to leave.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:44 PM, WanderPony said:

Alright, so maybe I'll block all the overly negative users on EQD. And maybe I'll hide the "drama" and "op is a duck" tags on Derpibooru. But there's still another problem: that deviantART friend I mentioned.

Me and her are very close. We've shared ideas for feature films together, and commented on each other's stuff a lot. And yet I still have to deal with her anti-Starlight journal entries. (I could link you to one, but I don't want to reveal her username for fear of you going to her page and being negative.)

The weird part is that she used to be VERY defensive of the show's changes. She often made fun of the people who hated Equestria Girls and Flash Sentry. Then she became very critical of Season 5 episodes like Slice of Life and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep, then announced her hatred for Starlight after Season 6 ended. Since then, it seems like there's barely any Season 6-7 episodes she likes.

Thankfully, she's more mature about her Starlight hate than most people are. She doesn't draw pictures of the Mane Six murdering her, dancing in her blood, and eating her organs, neither does she call anyone who likes Starlight an ass-kissing Hasdrone.

But every time I see her aforementioned anti-Starlight journals, or an anti-Starlight picture or journal she faved, it makes me worried that I'll fall victim to the "the show is terrible" disease just like she did, plus it makes me feel bad about liking the show, AND it makes me wish there wouldn't be a Season 8, since she and the other negative nancies will just continue to complain about each and every episode.

Whatever your friend is feeling is on her. There’s no other way to get more information about her opinions other than reading her reviews if she has any or asking her questions. You can even personally ask if she still likes the show, but I don’t know if that will incite a defensive response.

And so what if she’s vocal about being anti-Starlight? That doesn’t mean you have to agree with her because her opinions aren’t yours. If you’re genuinely enjoying the stuff you see, then keep enjoying it because I don’t see what you’re doing wrong by enjoying the episodes. And think about why you enjoyed what you saw.

If someone else decides to insult you or your opinions, then they’re just being a dick. If nothing else, no matter what they say or do, they ultimately can’t decide your opinions for you. I mean if they want to be extreme and threaten or even kill someone else for having a different opinion, well you can’t say that the opinion has changed in any of the outcomes.

If you’re afraid of your own opinion of the show decaying over time, then I’d say try focusing on the positives and your own experience. What other people experienced can’t be substituted as your own experience. It’s too easy to find the mistakes or flaws of anything, so try thinking of what they did right, and compare that to the “flaws” you found. If you also read any reviews, you can accept what they have to say, but you don’t have to agree with them. If someone complains about something you don’t see as a problem, think of counterarguments so you can deflect those complaints.

I don’t know if this post is even helpful, but the point is that only you can decide how to handle what you see. Negative comments won’t hurt you unless you let them.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, J. Brony said:

And here I was living under the assumption that you had some kind of weird, masochistic desire to provoke all of the negative  attention you've garnered thus far.  Color me surprised.

But far be it from me to try and dissuade anyone from leaving the Herd, whether it be out of disgust for the show itself or its overly-negative fanbase,  In my time I've done both, yet I always return.  If being a part of the MLP fandom is causing you more harm than good, then I say get out while the gettin' is good.

But, in my experience, you never really appreciate what you have until you've lost it.  And, like me, you should acknowledge that you can always come back if you end up regretting your choice to leave.

For me... it's become a situation where I legitimately feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it at this point. I don't like to force myself to do anything. But I feel obligated. Because I hate quitting anything. I always try to finish what I start. But this may have to be an exception.

My entire issue is the fact that I feel like the show is shoving HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters (Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord) down our throats and expecting you to like them. For those 3... that's just something I can't do. EVER.

16 hours ago, LostSanity said:

My entire issue is the fact that I feel like the show is shoving HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters (Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Discord) down our throats and expecting you to like them. For those 3... that's just something I can't do. EVER.

Thanks for proving my point.

Seriously, these kinds of comments are the reason I'm constantly trying to remind people that Season 8 is a terrible idea.

8 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Seriously, these kinds of comments are the reason I'm constantly trying to remind people that Season 8 is a terrible idea.

What, because some people are going to complain about it? Fine then let's just shut everything down, tv, internet, capitalism, public transport, private transport, left-wing politics, right-wing politics, hell somebody out there doesn't like my face i guess i'll just fuckin peel it off then. Seriously, darling, bro, you're letting it get to you. Tune it out, it's noise. It's a dog barking down the street. You don't have to be alarmed by the barking, the dog is stupid and thinks the mailman wants to kill his family. Enjoy what you enjoy and let the noise slide off you.

• Like 5

Personally I kinda love LostSanity's rants about HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters. I feel like I will be honestly sad if he leaves. 

• Like 1

I have a very different opinion of Starlight, EQG, general direction of the show in S7, etc. etc. from all the haters.

Just like I never let the "Cupcakes" side of the fandom ruin tings for me, I have never let other people's hangups keep me from enjoying the show and participating in the fandom. I treat the Fan Dumb aspects the same way I treat other fan content I don't care for: go around it.

When it becomes clear that a comment thread is going to devolve into "TEHY ROOWINT TEH SHOW!!!" I just skip those comments. I don't have a Twitter or a Tumblr so I'm automatically insulated from 97% of it right there. There's a podcast I listen two where both hosts are anti-Starlight but only one of them makes audible grimaces and gets hung-up about it, and I personally groan and roll my eyes during those segments.

I'm not going to tell the "haters" how they're supposed to enjoy a show. At the same time a lot of the complaints fall into the "I would have done things differently!" camp where "differently" is assumed to mean "better" by default. It reminds me of the time when the Cadence and Shining Armor hook-up arc was first published and someone on Twitter reacted badly. They pointed to their own fanfic about how the two met and told Price and Cook to "educate [them]selves," because clearly the official writers had gotten things wrong.... ?

I recognize it for the understandable yet ridiculous aspect of human nature that it is and go about my day. They can engage the show on their terms, but I'm not obligated to partake in the same way. A vocal minority taking things to a silly place has no more impact on me than I allow.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Thanks for proving my point.

Again, you can read and acknowledge the complaints, but you are under no obligation to agree with the complaints.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 5:48 PM, LostSanity said:

For me... it's become a situation where I legitimately feel like I'm forcing myself to watch it at this point.

Yeah, that's a sure sign that you're no longer enjoying something.  I know it well.  Maybe you should take a break from MLP for a while before you make a definitive decision.  

On 6/27/2017 at 9:52 AM, WanderPony said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and, as long as forums like this exist, they're going to share them whether anyone else wants to read them or not.  I'm starting to think that maybe you're being overly sensitive about this issue and that you should seriously consider taking my previously offered advice to limit your exposure to what the fanbase is saying..  

• Like 2

I still intend on watching the rest of Season 7 until the end. Even if that means forcing myself to.

But I'll take your advice under consideration and try to take longer than 1 day to make a final decision. :mlp_DERPE:

19 hours ago, LostSanity said:

I still intend on watching the rest of Season 7 until the end. Even if that means forcing myself to.

But I'll take your advice under consideration and try to take longer than 1 day to make a final decision. :mlp_DERPE:

If it makes you feel better, I think Starlight, Flurry, Trixie and Sunset are awesome and I'll happily buy your share of the merch :)

Here's another example: the reaction to the movie trailer.

Oh sure, a lot of it has been positive. But I've also seen a lot of complaints about the obvious CG on the airship, Tempest looking like an edgy OC, Capper pandering to the furry fandom, the Storm King being sillier than expected, and the celebrities being advertised over the Mane Six's VAs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Starlight haters threw a tantrum over her brief cameo.

It's like the brony fandom will NEVER be happy with what Hasbro gives them, and will ALWAYS find something new to complain about.

So? Those are nitpicks. Though few valid nitpicks as Mane Six who are main characters don't get name at all and half of them don't say a word. But that is trailer issue and not movie issue. And I don't like Tempest much for now and I think that lil bumbling sidekick is unfunny Disney migrant. But I don't have to love every single thing and be a positive brony (though I am unsure do I want to label myself), I still love the new animation (even though German trailer actually looked better somehow). 

Why are you focusing on the negative minority and ignoring the positive reaction? Why is loving show so low on your list of priorities and instead you focus on the negative? Why even care what people you don't know say? And it is not like brony fandom holds monopoly over people who can't be satisfied, every fandom has those people.

• Like 4

@Cinder Vel I am REALLY looking forward to this movie due to it being a 2D-animated film in a day and age when those are so rare, and I'm worried that the constant negativity is going to make me dread the movie like how I'm dreading the Season 7 finale and Season 8. I just wonder what the point of liking something is if everyone else hates it.

It shouldn't mater if 99% people you never met hate it or just 1%. Your emotions are your own. You are already watching MLP, show so controversial that there was an internet war between people that liked it and people that hated anyone who liked little girl stuff. We must respect the memory of our fallen brothers who fought for our right to enjoy MLP in peace.

Also I am so excited for season 7 finale. I mean think about it, the intro episode was good and had shown more about Celestia and Twilight relationship. The mid-season finale then showed even more of Celestia and Luna and it was in some very humble opinions one of best episodes of the season. Would you disagree with me if I would say that things are actually improving? Season 7 is clear improvement over the last two seasons (not that I disliked those in the first place).

Honestly all that you need is a better crowd and more friendlier people to share your MLP love instead of wasting time on toxic places like youtube comment sections. That's like going to insane asylum, it's just sad. Make a topic here about the parts of mlp you love and share the love with others.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WanderPony said:

@Cinder Vel I am REALLY looking forward to this movie due to it being a 2D-animated film in a day and age when those are so rare, and I'm worried that the constant negativity is going to make me dread the movie like how I'm dreading the Season 7 finale and Season 8. I just wonder what the point of liking something is if everyone else hates it.

If you are looking forward to this movie, then look forward to the movie. Why are you letting other people decide how you feel about the movie and future episodes? If you like something, then like it. Other people not liking it has nothing to do with you.

The point of liking something is that you have another thing to like and enjoy. Why would everyone else disliking something make you dislike it too. You are allowed to have your own opinion.

I also don't understand where you are coming from here. If we were in the middle of S6 (where a lot of people were getting nervous about the quality of the show, including me), then I would understand. However, S7 and the trailer have received very positive feedback. Ya, there are people who dislike s7 and the trailer, but who cares? That will be the case all the time and for every fandom.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

Season 7 is clear improvement over the last two seasons (not that I disliked those in the first place).

I actually liked s5 more up to this point than s7. I thought it was a bit better.

But S6? Oh, ya! Season 7 has been way better that s6. The sooner I forget about episodes like Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter, No Second Prances, PPOV, 28 Pranks Later and To Where and Back Again, the better.

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

Oh sure, a lot of it has been positive.

Yep! Sure has. Maybe you could enthuse with all of those people instead of getting down about the fact that someone, somewhere has a negative outlook.

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

I just wonder what the point of liking something is if everyone else hates it.

...What??? Liking something is an end, not a means. Nobody has a favorite food or color or whatever in order to advance some agenda. Are you some Thrackerzod-like alien attempting to blend into Earth Culture? If so, probably avoid My Little Pony altogether, it marks you as 'weird' if you're not a six-year-old girl.

• Like 3