WanderPony

How the constant drama ruined the show for me

I have a question.

If the negative people are a vocal minority, then how come so many negative comments on Equestria Daily and YouTube keep getting a high score? There's clearly a LOT of people who agree with the complainers.

Honestly... as far as the movie is concerned...

I'm more concerned about it BSing another HORRID redemption together.

11 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

Honestly... as far as the movie is concerned...

I'm more concerned about it BSing another HORRID redemption together.

WE-GET-IT-2.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WanderPony said:

If the negative people are a vocal minority, then how come so many negative comments on Equestria Daily and YouTube keep getting a high score? There's clearly a LOT of people who agree with the complainers.

In case of youtube it is because youtube comment section is one of the most toxic sections of the internet. There should be a quarantine. No idea about EqD comments as I don't read those but anyway the haters have the need to validate their hate so they band up and yell loud and tap each other on the back. While positive comments are nothing usual and need no validation. Vocal minority will always overshine the silent minority which is content to enjoy and not voice their opinions as they have no pathological need for validation.  

Though now that I have looked three separate videos of the trailers and checked the top rated comments I didn't see that big negativity and in all of them the like bar is generally positive. Sure on Hasbro's trailer the most liked comment is the one that celebrates that it is Twilight adventure and not Starlights but that is not that negative really. 

And honestly like I said, I wouldn't give a shit if you would bring me proof that 99% of humans on earth hated the show. I would still enjoy they show. Haters gonna hate. And honestly I am growing tired of telling you to enjoy the show so if you are going to hate haters then fine. I'll be on the other side of the room having fun with people with whom I share interests as opposed to obsess about people I never met and have no interest to befriend. You are free to join when you get tired of constant bile. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

I have a question.

Well,  the main thing about a vocal minority is that the vocal minority speaks up about their pet cause while everyone else has better things to do, so a high number of likes or faves or etc. would, by definition, not be reflective of the majority opinion. In a vocal minority situation. Because they're vocal. And everyone else just kinda thinks to themselves, 'yeah, this episode was cool' and that's the end of it for them. They move on to other shit.

Of greater relevance is why the tide of public opinion is important to your own personal tastes. Because public opinion is frequently stupid. See: Nazi Germany, cults, Salem in the 1690's.

• Like 3

@WanderPony Okay, seriously, this is getting redundant.  You've made your point; that all of the negative criticism of the show is making you feel like giving up on MLP.  People have given you plenty of advice on why this shouldn't get to you as bad as it seems to.  And then we all just repeat ourselves.  You keep bringing up more examples of negative criticism, we tell you why you should ignore what is said and focus on what you think and then wash, rinse and repeat.  For three pages and going now.

What more do you want us to say?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

@WanderPony Okay, seriously, this is getting redundant.  You've made your point; that all of the negative criticism of the show is making you feel like giving up on MLP.  People have given you plenty of advice on why this shouldn't get to you as bad as it seems to.  And then we all just repeat ourselves.  You keep bringing up more examples of negative criticism, we tell you why you should ignore what is said and focus on what you think and then wash, rinse and repeat.  For three pages and going now.

What more do you want us to say?

Ya'll told me this was a vocal minority, and I wanted to give an explanation as to why I don't think it is to see how you would respond to that.

The only way to find out if it's the minority or majority is to ask literally EVERY person who has watched the trailers, the show, etc. for their opinions. Oh, and you also have to keep asking them again and again because their opinions might change over time. I don't know about you, but that's too troublesome to find out. So that's another reason you should just stick with your own opinions even if it clashes with whatever is the majority or the loudest.

If those haters want to mindlessly hate something, that's their problem. There are better things to do than mindlessly hate or read comments from mindless haters.

3 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

No idea about EqD comments as I don't read those but anyway the haters have the need to validate their hate so they band up and yell loud and tap each other on the back. While positive comments are nothing usual and need no validation. Vocal minority will always overshine the silent minority which is content to enjoy and not voice their opinions as they have no pathological need for validation.  

Pretty much this. The haters probably feel insecure about their opinions and want to feel supported. The show itself has gone on this long, so there's very likely plenty of positive opinions and feelings about the show despite whatever complaints have gone around.

Edited by Number?
some edits
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, WanderPony said:

@Cinder Vel I just wonder what the point of liking something is if everyone else hates it.

This is the kind of thought that it's good to catch ourselves in the act of thinking. When we do this, and examine the question at the root of it, we can safely dismiss the concern as something silly and baseless. It's silly in this case on the grounds that it should be obvious what the point of liking something is: because you like it.

That's not circular reasoning. Liking a thing is the basis for whatever else you build from the act of liking it, not the other way around. I don't "like MLP" in order to make a point, and I hope you don't either.

• Like 2

To add to what ABronyAccount said (how do I reference others in blue with the @, by the way?), liking MLP:FIM feels good, right? Why let others take that away? I'm sure other people in this thread have asked the same question, and I even said there isn't much they can do about you liking something.

And I'm sure you'd rather live your life with genuine enjoyment than uncertainty. If you're living for the sake of appealing to other people while excluding yourself completely, then you're not living for yourself, the most important person in your life.

At least you are not endorsing something morally reprehensible, but that probably goes into a different and arguably irrelevant area.

6 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

And honestly like I said, I wouldn't give a shit if you would bring me proof that 99% of humans on earth hated the show. I would still enjoy they show. Haters gonna hate. And honestly I am growing tired of telling you to enjoy the show so if you are going to hate haters then fine. I'll be on the other side of the room having fun with people with whom I share interests as opposed to obsess about people I never met and have no interest to befriend. You are free to join when you get tired of constant bile. 

Also this.

Why do you want to agree with and prove something to a bunch of people you know literally nothing about? Or if you do know them, and for the sake of argument let's say they hate you just because you like MLP:FIM and the movie. That's not a good reason to hate a person because there's more to life than this piece of disposable entertainment.

Edited by Number?
some additions
  • Like 1

Sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I have yet another question: is it normal for fandoms to be this negative?

For instance, is the Steven Universe fandom as negative as the MLP fandom? Do SU fans complain about every single recent episode and change like bronies do?

18 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Just type @ InsertName. Like this @Number?

Also think we might have all went a little overboard with the little guy.

@Cinder VelI figured, but it didn't work the first time I tried it for some reason. At least it works now.

He was asking a bunch of questions, so a bunch of answers would reasonably follow.

3 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Sorry if I'm getting annoying, but I have yet another question: is it normal for fandoms to be this negative?

For instance, is the Steven Universe fandom as negative as the MLP fandom? Do SU fans complain about every single recent episode and change like bronies do?

I don't explore fandoms due to lack of interest. No, I'm not even THAT aware of the happenings in this one nowadays. I was at first for this show, but I've lost more than plenty of interest to stop looking and/or caring. But I'm sure there's plenty of negativity no matter where you look or if you look around long enough. Youtube is already pointed out as one major source of vocal negativity, and humans love to complain.

8 hours ago, WanderPony said:

I don't know if they have members that complain about new episodes but I am sure if I would for some reason want to search then I would find it.  But what I know is much more horrible.

Steven fandom once almost drove an artist on tumblir to suicide because she draw Rose Quarts skinny instead of fat. That fandom has different demons from MLP fandom, though I suppose it could be Tumblir that's the issue. So yeah still think the neighsayers of MLP are that bad? It can be a lot worse.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2017 at 0:25 AM, Number? said:

If you're living for the sake of appealing to other people while excluding yourself completely, then you're not living for yourself, the most important person in your life.

Preach it sister

On 7/1/2017 at 3:41 AM, Cinder Vel said:

Also think we might have all went a little overboard with the little guy.

Speaking as a human being, yeah possibly. Speaking as an internet entity, these semi-philosophical discussions are too interesting to stay out of and I'll keep arguing/discussing with him as long as he keeps replying.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Speaking as a human being, yeah possibly. Speaking as an internet entity, these semi-philosophical discussions are too interesting to stay out of and I'll keep arguing/discussing with him as long as he keeps replying.

I just have a lot of questions related to this topic.

For instance, I heard that M.A. Larson left the show because he didn't think it was good anymore. If an actual crew member hates the show's current direction, then that must make it objectively bad, right?

1 minute ago, WanderPony said:

For instance, I heard that M.A. Larson left the show because he didn't think it was good anymore. If an actual crew member hates the show's current direction, then that must make it objectively bad, right?

See, this is what I'm talking about! How are we supposed to just leave a statement like that alone?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WanderPony said:

Try being in the Fallout or Game of Thrones fandom. *smh*

1 hour ago, Friendship is Horses said:

See, this is what I'm talking about! How are we supposed to just leave a statement like that alone?

I stand corrected. No quarter shall be given! Let us take the bait!

1 hour ago, WanderPony said:

Now that's ridiculous. Even if he thinks that he would never be allowed to say something like that. And no if one person dislikes it doesn't mean it is objectively bad, it would mean one person has an opinion. It is irrelevant if it is a former staff member, that just makes it petty. 

Ok and let's assume that show is "objectively bad". Why does it matter? Emotions are not objective anyway, they are subjective and there would be no reason not to be allowed to like the show.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WanderPony said:

He left the show because he is writing a successful young-adult novel series.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:06 PM, WanderPony said:

Dear lord, have you never even brushed up against the Furry fandom? (I don't recommend it unless you're well grounded; it can cause quite the buildup of charges. And, separately, static electricity.) Don't get me started on Trekkers.... let's just say there is a kernel of truth in the Comic Book Guy character on The Simpsons.

Rebecca Sugar had to get on Tumblr tell some of us Steven Believe-Ins to lay off the toxic brony-hating because that attitude was the opposite of the message she wanted in her show, so....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

Now that's ridiculous. Even if he thinks that he would never be allowed to say something like that. And no if one person dislikes it doesn't mean it is objectively bad, it would mean one person has an opinion. It is irrelevant if it is a former staff member, that just makes it petty. 

Ok and let's assume that show is "objectively bad". Why does it matter? Emotions are not objective anyway, they are subjective and there would be no reason not to be allowed to like the show.

I agree with this. Larson is still a person with an opinion, so even if he dislikes the show, that doesn't make the show bad. I mean Lauren Faust left the show after season 2. I don't remember the reason, but does the absence of the "original creator" already make the show bad? Another way to put this: should the show be considered bad just because Lauren Faust is no longer working on it?

7 hours ago, WanderPony said:

I just have a lot of questions related to this topic.

Well if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 1