The Perfect Pear  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

You know... before I watched this episode... I was hoping it would make up for WHAT I JUST HAD TO GO THROUGH with the previous episode.

Did it?

Well... read for yourself.

Just in case though. As always. Viewer Discretion Warning.

So...

BACKSTORY.

Did I mention I love me some BACKSTORY? If not I'll say it again... I LOVE BACKSTORY.

This one being the most clamored for backstory. Even for me. Applejack parent backstory.

As far as this goes... it's clear that they were inspired by Romeo and Juliet for this. Though there's a clear difference.

Those families were legitimately trying to kill each other. The Pears and Apples not so much. Just unnecessary bickering.

This was very sweet and sad all at the same time. It's almost ridiculous they had to do this all in secret because of the all the unnecessary bickering. :fluttersmith:

It being secret and all practically made it even more sad and slightly tragic. Sort of. I guess. But also sweet.

In other words... this episode... MY. GOD. :stararity:

EVERYTHING. ALL OF IT. THIS EPISODE. TOO MUCH. :shocked:

The song was... okay. Not my favorite but still good I suppose.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH. EVERYTHING. THIS EPISODE. TOO AMAZING. IT INTRIGUED ME THE ENTIRE TIME. :applejackhate:

The ending... rectification. :sweetieyes:

But... there's just one problem...

WE STILL DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS. AT ALL.

ARE THEY DEAD OR NOT? That's really my only complaint about this one. No answers.

Other than that... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. :happybonbon:

Current Status:

Stay: 90%
Leave: 10%

Huh... it's like there was no change at all... :rdwink:

12 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

WE STILL DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS. AT ALL.

ARE THEY DEAD OR NOT? That's really my only complaint about this one. No answers.

Yes. They are super dead. The episode couldn't hit us over the head any harder with that implication without having the Apple family dig their rotting corpses out of the ground.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Friendship is Horses said:

Yes. They are super dead. The episode couldn't hit us over the head any harder with that implication without having the Apple family dig their rotting corpses out of the ground.

Because of the Romeo and Juliet similarities?

Okay in that case I'll just assume they were killed because of the idiotic rivalry.

Which only makes it EVEN MORE TRAGIC.

My guess?

They were murdered.

1 hour ago, LostSanity said:

ARE THEY DEAD OR NOT?

To echo @Friendship is Horses, they're really dead. Most sincerely dead. A doornail is more alive than them.

46 minutes ago, LostSanity said:

Because of the Romeo and Juliet similarities?

More:

1. Referring to them and their love in past tense. They wouldn't do that, unless they're either dead or divorced. Given TPP's context, the latter never happened.

2. Burnt Oak crying after Big Mac asked him if they can return later on to hear more stories.

3. The stories and memories Burnt, Mrs. Cake, and Mayor Mare tell.

4. "To remember them by." Apple Bloom's own words.

5. The tree to conclude the episode. Shows us their strong bond even after life.

6. Kora Kosicka — the lead character designer — worked on the episode and confirmed in a con last year that they're dead.

7. This whole episode is about knowing a part of their lives they didn't know existed and celebrating their history.

8. The tragedy surrounding Grand Pear. It's heavily implied that the night Grand Pear angrily disowned Buttercup's the last time he saw her alive. He'll never be able to apologize to her.
  • Like 2

Why does a part of me now want an Ace Attorney-style episode where...

The criminal is found and revealed. With full Ace Attorney-esque WITNESS BREAKDOWN.

Meh. I know 'too dark.'

*shakes head in disappointment*

It's because of episodes like this one that I love this cartoon so much, despite all the bad and stupid ones. So touching, so beautiful. Nothing original, but done so well. A beautiful song, beautiful and heartwarming story. I wish they put this level of care and respect in all episodes.

• Like 3

Pear Butter's song has made my list as #2 in favorite MLP songs. It has the most beautiful voice, tone, and melody. It touches my heart, every time. 

By the way, the way she sang the line, "But it's worth it just to see you smile" (0:27) sounds very familiar to me. She elongates the word "smile" in a very beautiful progression of pitch. I feel fairly certain that I've heard this tune before, but I can't pinpoint the exact song. Anyone else feel this way? 

• Like 2