The Perfect Pear  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

Note: This episode is scheduled to air on Australia's Boomerang Channel on June 21. A poll will be posted after it airs.

Title: The Perfect Pear

Air Date (Australia/Boomerang): June 21, 2017, scheduled time 1:40 AM EST, 10:40 PM PST.
Air Date (U.S./Discovery Family): N/A

Writer: N/A

Summary: "The Apple Siblings learn about their parent's love story and find out that they're half Pear."

Poll's up! Credit to @Jeric for all of the poll choices except the top and bottom.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rh5nz_my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-s07e13-the-perfect-pear_webcam

So both sides grandparents assumingly outlived their daughter and son of one side each and the grandparents live with that decisive guilt to only now start to make amends of a blasted feud while the Apples siblings never got to know their parents very well, if at all, thus why the Apples siblings live with their grandmother instead. This Pear Butter 'Buttercup' and Brightmac both being the possibly adventurous type could help explain why the Apples family, and extended family is so big/complex or separated after the Pears 'n Apples got around and business booming in Ponyville's early days. While the Pears must of flourished in Vanhoover. If Applejack, Applebloom, and Big Macintosh is half Pear, I do wonder which other Apple ponies could be half Pear as well. If those two lovebirds 'got around' so much for starting their own family and it's branch of the families' trees intertwining. Interesting how Apple side had Macintosh name (explains Big Mac's last name) and could be where AJ gets her hat from, tradition, and Pear side 'Buttercup' had sweetness of kind and motherly type while also caring but independent. There were some nitpicks but holy cow, this realization revealed.

"To remember them by"

The grandparents, Grand Pear and Granny Smith, probably outlived the Apples siblings' parents 'live in the moment' lifespan. That can't be just normal, it is too sad. Very sad for a father or mother to outlive their children, their offspring, their pride and joy. I don't want to outlive my possible significant other, or my younger sibling. Yet being an oldest sibling, my poor hardworking parents.. damn it! I haven't cried from this show in a long time. Brings me back to the feels of immortality and death, do you really want to live forever? Bravo MLP: FiM season 7, you have thoroughly pulled my heartstrings tonight.

This was an episode that many (including myself) were looking foreward to and it didn't disappoint. In fact, it far exceeded my expectations. This was such a great episode all the way through. One of the sweetest and most heartwarming of the series! That song was great too!

• Like 5

Wow, the whole episode I had a lump in my throat and almost a tear or two. Very powerful and bittersweet episode. Kudos to everyone involved!

• Like 3

Upon my first watch, I thought the episode was great overall and it gave us a perfect background on how the Apple parents met. That being said, while I think the episode is great overall (especially with that tear-jerking song), I consider it the second best of the season under "Royal Problems". During my first watch, I felt the pacing was a bit off due to the story of the Apple parents constantly being stopped to transition to another character who told a different part of the story. I understand what they were going for in how the lives of the Apple parents touched the lives of so many of Ponyvillians that we've come to know over the years, but the transitions did start to bother me when they kept doing it over and over again. My only other complaint is more of a nitpick and obviously happened due to the lack of time the writers have in each episode to do everything they want to do, but I wish that we could've expanded just a bit more on the guilt Grand Pear felt from leaving his daughter and not coming back to reconcile until it was too late. I understand that they also couldn't do this most likely because it'd further prove to the audience that the Apple parents are dead (because god forbid children ever learn the concept of death), but the reasoning doesn't justify it to me 100%.

But despite those problems, I loved this episode from the adorable romance between the Bright Mac and Pear Butter, the beautiful song (one of which had me tearing up something fierce, Hasbro better release that in the next Pony album), and the first introduction of the Apple parents after 7+ years of waiting, it is definitely one of the best of the season, and among the best episodes the entire series has to offer.

• Like 3

For the most part, they handled this episode splendidly. Perfect Pear is about as good as anyone can do handling the subject of death in the family without directly mentioning they died. A simple but really bittersweet story of how Apples parents came to be in this romeo and Juliet inspired story and really loved that ending. Which btw, the Apple parents are cute.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, PixelGrip94 said:

My only other complaint is more of a nitpick and obviously happened due to the lack of time the writers have in each episode to do everything they want to do, but I wish that we could've expanded just a bit more on the guilt Grand Pear felt from leaving his daughter and not coming back to reconcile until it was too late. I understand that they also couldn't do this most likely because it'd further prove to the audience that the Apple parents are dead (because god forbid children ever learn the concept of death), but the reasoning doesn't justify it to me 100%.

Setting aside the fact that Hasbro probably didn't want to cover something that heavy (nevermind that they presented Starlight Glimmer as a cult leader and bully in Season 5), I suspect that the reason that the writers have refused to explicitly say that Bright Mac and Pear Butter have passed away is that there's the possibility that, sometime in the future, someone in Hasbro's higher ups is going to say, "Hey, we need to sell more toys, let's have Bright Mac and Pear Butter come back to Ponyville!". By keeping it in the realm of implication, the writers are covering both bases. If they're alive, then there won't be as much awkwardness if they said they're dead, only to Hasbro to demand that they bring them back. If they're dead, well, kids aren't that stupid, they probably know what's going on.

As for the episode itself, this and "Discordant Harmony" make a nice pair of episodes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

As for the episode itself, this and "Discordant Harmony" make a nice pair of episodes.

Don't you mean a nice...PEAR of episodes?

*gets booed off of the stage and pelted by tomatoes*

• Like 3

This episode looks back on the humble beginnings of the Apple Family Parents. Sweet, charming and yet it delivers a satisfyingly good story towards how the Apple Parents met and came to be as a whole. I find that Pear Butter's song really resonates within how she truly loves Bright Mac and for a moment like that in MLP is regarded greatly wonderful for me. This is one scene and song that reassured in why I came to love this show.

I think that its good for the writers to not enclosed on how the Apple Parents died but instead rather built on how the love that they had for each other is still lives and is prevalent in Applejack, Big Macintosh and to Applebloom as their legacy lived on within them. A bittersweet moment truly. 

• Like 2

I look forward to the eventual flood of the new song and its remixes. Now I'm left wondering where the season goes from here, the hiatus is sharp until Fall season, it seems. Although, we have the movie coming soon enough now.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 0:15 PM, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I loved this episode from beginning to end. Just beautiful. And Shatner did a great job as Grand Pear.

I totally agree. It was artfully done I think. Beautiful song~ :glomp:

I thought Grand Pear's lines were delivered in a very realistic manner. To me, felt more legit than a mere performance. :happybonbon:

• Like 1

I haven't been able to watch FiM in a while, but this and Discordant Harmony were a perfect pear of episodes to jump back in on. Especially this one.
This one actually made me smile, which is pretty rare for me these days. The feels are quite strong with it. And William Shatner was good too. Wouldn't mind if he came back (the episode pretty much stated that Grand Pear'll be sticking around Ponyville and the Apples, so it's possible, I think).
Now I've just gotta catch up on what I've missed lately (which seems like a lot... hopefully YouTube can assist me on this one).

• Like 1