Shadow Dash

I could use some advice...

I've been debating with myself over actually posting this for a while, but I trust you guys more than anyone else, so I'll ask.

So, I'm slightly underweight. I've been like that for a long time. I've hovered around 5 pounds underweight. It's partially because of a really fast metabolism.

The last two years, I've pretty much entered a pattern. I'd be around 5 pounds underweight, take advantage of my metabolism and eat a ridiculous amount of food until I got back up to normal weight, then feel like I gained too much weight and not eat very much until I got back down to 5 pounds underweight.

But this time, I'm having trouble actually starting to eat again. I've pretty much completely lost my appetite, and I've dropped down to 10 pounds underweight. At this point, I'm forcing myself to actually eat lunch, something that I used to have no problem with at all. I have managed to start eating enough to keep the weight steady, but I'm still worried about it.

Since I can't actually see a doctor about all this, I wanted to talk about it with my friends on here. It's the next best thing. So, if you have any advice or motivation, it would be greatly appreciated.

(If there's some rule against advice threads I don't know about, please feel free to tell me so I can delete this post)

I'm sure advice threads are allowed here.

Now, on how to gain weight, I'm not a professional in biology (heck, I'm only 15), but I suggest this. Think of your favourite food in the world, and try your hardest to eat it regularly. If it's a particularly fatty food like mince or bacon, even better. That's my advice, just eat the foods you want to eat and can't get enough of.

1 minute ago, EmployeeAMillion said:

I'm sure advice threads are allowed here.

That was partially because I've never seen one and partially because I was trying to talk myself out of posting.

2 minutes ago, EmployeeAMillion said:

Think of your favourite food in the world, and try your hardest to eat it regularly. If it's a particularly fatty food like mince or bacon, even better. That's my advice, just eat the foods you want to eat and can't get enough of.

I'm trying to do that, and it has sorta stabilized my weight, but I'm still having trouble actually eating it. I have next to no appetite, and I don't know why. I still enjoy what food I do eat, but I'm not hungry enough to eat as much as I need to get my weight back to normal.

Plus, I leave for Japan on Thursday, and I won't have my parents as something keeping me eating meals. It'll be entirely my job to keep myself eating.

Well, I would like to say it's a chance because when I eat a 100g pizza I earn 1kg weight (Yes, eating is magic), but it's not, really.

Of course you have to eat, I don't know what kind of eating disorder you are on (like anorexia ?), but every doctors would say that it's very important to eat for an underweight person (and not abusing with eating either). If your appetite is gone, you could find a motivation ?

A motivation for eating... I know it's important but it sounds so weird for me... So I don't know wat could be a motivation for eating.

BUT YOU HAVE TO ! anyway. If you won't, I gonna shock you with a 20 000 volts bolt.

And you should go to the doctor after your trip, he'll know what to say and to do. I know there is little pills for make hunger back.

Maybe trying to keep a regular sleep patern might help, as it is often related to appetite in some ways. Having an irregular sleep patern messes with your appetite and your body in general. It can make you want to eat more, or less depending on the person, keeping that in mind may help. This lost appetite may also be related to high temperatures, as you are far less hungry when it's hot. I don't know if it is the same in the US as it is in Europe, but the temperatures in big cities are quite high (35-ish °C (95°F) in Paris or London). Therefore it might be a temporary thing, and you will become more hungry when the temperatures start to cool down. 

In terms of trying to eat and making the experience less of a chore, try to eat slowly, it might sound stupid, but it may work.

I sincerely hope that it will help, as I imagine it not being easy for you.

You can have some of my weight, I've got plenty to spare.

Seriously though, if you're not having body image issues (and if you think you're underweight, you probably aren't) and you aren't malnourished, there's probably nothing to worry about. The lack of appetite might be signaling some other medical issue, but as far as the weight thing goes, there's nothing wrong with being a little scrawny. You could try building some muscle mass if you're that concerned about it; it's heavier than fat and loads more useful! Also exercise makes you hungry, so there's that too.

3 hours ago, Madgicarp said:

Maybe trying to keep a regular sleep patern might help, as it is often related to appetite in some ways. Having an irregular sleep patern messes with your appetite and your body in general. It can make you want to eat more, or less depending on the person, keeping that in mind may help.

That... that is actually very relevant. Insomnia and these forums mean that lately, I've been staying up until 3 in the morning or later. I never thought that could actually be messing with my appetite, though. I'll try to get back into a normal sleep pattern (well, closer to normal) and hopefully that'll help. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Bakaarion said:

Of course you have to eat, I don't know what kind of eating disorder you are on (like anorexia ?), but every doctors would say that it's very important to eat for an underweight person (and not abusing with eating either). If your appetite is gone, you could find a motivation ?

I know that I don't have anorexia nervosa. It's not that I'm keeping myself from eating, it's just that I have no appetite. Maybe there's some other eating disorder messing with me, but I don't think there is. This isn't the first time this has happened, it's just the first time it's actually caused any weight loss, and that's worrying me. The other times I got over it fast. Anorexia can be a symptom of something else, but the list is huge. There's some causes that are just temporary things, and then others that are serious medical conditions. (I honestly kind of wish I didn't look at the page. It freaked me out a little)

2 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

You can have some of my weight, I've got plenty to spare.

Seriously though, if you're not having body image issues (and if you think you're underweight, you probably aren't) and you aren't malnourished, there's probably nothing to worry about. The lack of appetite might be signaling some other medical issue, but as far as the weight thing goes, there's nothing wrong with being a little scrawny. You could try building some muscle mass if you're that concerned about it; it's heavier than fat and loads more useful! Also exercise makes you hungry, so there's that too.

I do have the tendency to stop eating when I get back to normal weight until I get back down to 5 pounds under that is a bit of a self-esteem issue, but nothing below 5 under. Even I know that's bad.

And I honestly probably should start building up muscle mass. And body fat. Most of what I eat is carbs, and my metabolism burns right through them. I can't do a push-up and I'm at around 5% body fat.

Thanks for the help, guys. Hopefully this problem will be over soon, and it won't be a problem anymore.

• Like 1

Do you have family that could help you out with this? I'm not saying consulting random people on a forum is a bad idea, however, consulting random people on a forum is a horrendous idea. If you have no appetite, that's a problem. You need a doctor, get with your family or whoever is closest to you asap. Good luck and I hope everything works out!

Ooh, you're new! But that's not the focus of this thread.

The problem has gone away (for the most part) and I'm feeling much better now. Whatever it was, it only stayed as bad as it was for about a week.

As for family, that's a very complicated problem of it's own. Long story short, trying to convince my parents to see a doctor about a problem they don't think I have will never work. I wish it would, but it doesn't. I've learned to just roll with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shadow Dash said:

Ooh, you're new! But that's not the focus of this thread.

The problem has gone away (for the most part) and I'm feeling much better now. Whatever it was, it only stayed as bad as it was for about a week.

As for family, that's a very complicated problem of it's own. Long story short, trying to convince my parents to see a doctor about a problem they don't think I have will never work. I wish it would, but it doesn't. I've learned to just roll with it.

Sorry to hear about the second part of that situation, though I'm glad to hear that it worked out for the most part and that you are feeling much better. I wasn't trying to blow up your spot, I just didn't know the situation and if you thought it was getting bad I just hoped you were getting help. I know how hard it can be to face a problem alone, that's why I suggested bringing family or anyone you might be close to in, so that they maybe help you work it out. Good luck with everything, though, for real. I apologize if it seemed liked I was being a negative Nancy, you were actually doing the right thing, reaching out to people you trust, even online. Help can come from many unexpected areas.

S'alright. You're new, and had no way of knowing anything about my family.

And I probably should have commented on here the problem had gone away anyway, so... that's my bad.

But thanks anyway!

• Like 1

dash can I be 100% honest youre life sounds like mine in a lotta ways but I can say no matter how dark the night theres always the morning light

• Like 1

Meanwhile, it is 3 in the morning...

THIS IS RELEVANT!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside, my life isn't that bad. Most of the time. It's the little fraction that is that makes all the difference. I just try to ignore it unless it's being a butt.

• Like 1

I also have a fast metabolism, I think. Snacking whenever: at midnight or later when necessary and sleep schedule should help if you have this problem again. Even when not hungry, if you need to eat, just eat without thinking about it. Like eating cereal thoughtfully on pondering other things.

8 minutes ago, Canyon Light said:

sleep schedule should help if you have this problem again

Yeah, I really need to do something about my sleep schedule. With my insomnia, and the fact I can mostly only pony at night, my sleep has been severely lacking.

Last night I didn't go to sleep until 4, I woke up at 12:30, and I ate two small meals at 3:30 and 6. That's hardly structured. And now it's 4 again and I'm not tired yet.

Yeah, jet lag isn't helping either. It's now 5 in the morning and I'm nowhere near tired. At this rate, I'm gonna fall asleep after sunrise.

I'm becoming nocturnal...

I have a similar problem with my featherweight metabolism, so I know how it feels. If you've already learned how you can force yourself to eat more, that's great. Make sure you are occasionally counting calories though because you want to go by the numbers, not just the feeling in your stomach. You can also gain weight quickly by drinking milk.

Don't worry about gaining "too much weight." You're already underweight, and if you lift you can direct the mass where you want it to go. Start strength training if you haven't already, but don't bother with the gym unless you have a good one nearby (all I have here are Planet Fitness which is a scam for insecure people). Don't lift too much weight without a spotter, and may the gods be with you.

@Agilaz See, that just addressed three of the biggest problems I have.

The first one: actually keeping track of how many Calories I'm eating. I don't do it often, but I've done it on occasion and found that other than my days where I eat a ton, I tend to barely eat anything. Normally, my breakfast and lunch adds up to 400, 450 calories. Which means I'm getting below 2000 Calories unless my dinner and snacks take up 3/4 of the day's Calories. And even at 2000 Calories, I'm not gonna make much progress. Especially not considering most of my food is carbs, with barely any protein at all. I'm eating fast burning energy rather than stuff that's actually going to stick with me. I really need to be thinking more about my diet, because right now, it's horribly unbalanced and lacking.

The second one: The whole gaining "too much weight" thing. Because it is a problem I have. For some reason, there's like a switch in my brain that tells me that anything above the underweight-average weight border is too much weight. Even though I know my weight is lower than it should be, I'm not letting it get back to normal, and I'm actually lying to most of my friends that it's lower than it really is. Which I know is a borderline anorexic thing to be doing, but I don't know why I do it. Times like now, when I'm at my normal 5 below, I have no problem with the thought of gaining weight. But the moment I'm back to the border, I just stop. I'm gonna need to be prepared for when I hit that wall of "That's enough, stop now"

The third one: Other than some running, I'm doing almost nothing to build any muscle. I can't do a real push up, much less try and lift any heavy weights. I really need to get some sort of training regime going, because where I am now, my health is going to collapse one of these days, and I'm going to hate knowing that I could've stopped it. I'm at 4% body fat as well, so even if I put on some fat in the process of gaining some muscle, it would still be beneficial to my health.

@Shadow Dashwell I have a solution to your problem have you tried doing some Gui Qidong (trust me it works getting energy raised for exercise)

I haven't heard of that before... what is it?

It's really not so much not having energy to exercise, it's more of a combination of not wanting to (and wanting to do things detrimental to my health), having more important things to do (most of which aren't actually more important then my health), and the constant fear of failing that keeps me from doing so many things I want to do.

And I don't know how to combat any of that.

yeah well if you want to learn it

now if you don't mind I must flee from the pirate goblin princess by flying on the wings of Zoro senpai's love

to the kingdom of spooky scary skeletons to swordfight Danny DeVito (I don't know what the fuck I just said)