Autumn

Are ponies fat or just tightly chubby?

Seriously though, horses are round. Sleekness is for greyhounds. The midsection of a horse is called a "barrel" in technical terms, and that's for good reason. MLP is actually capturing their contours pretty well in those oblique poses.

One of the things that kills me in the fanart is when people give ponies a dog-like shape, including that tapered tummy. I get legit p**v*d, actually, when it's pretty clear that an artist doesn't actually know the differences between a horse and a dog. Dog lips are a big one. Chest fluff, fluffy jawline, ankles that are way too low, Balto-shaped eyes, a mouth that goes all the way up the sides of the face, and those frickin' doglips...

• Like 2

I kinda also get confused when they give canine teeth to ponies. It's just a weird decision. Also they remind me more of cats than dogs. 

• Like 2

I think it may more have to do with convenience to uniform everypony with the same body type save for a select few as creating each pony character with a different model from each other is very time consuming and costly to do. When given enough time and money to do it, we see that yea ponies do have different body types like we do. An example is this:

large.png

This is the same Rainbow Dash character doing the relative same pose, but notice how much leaner the movie RD is compared to her show version who has a tummy in comparison. It's why I have a feeling that the movie is going to give each of the mane 6 a different body type so fans can have an idea for how their body types are imagined by the staff. 

That just shows the difference between movie style and show style. I expect only Twilight to actually be different with longer horn and and neck, though she is taller than regular pony in show too. Suppose we cold just extensively study the trailer and other promo material but on glance I don't see different body types within main cast.

As for movie RD leanness well I can only point at ABronyAccount's post regarding horse body.