Sign in to follow this  
TaliaKirana

"It's a Pony Kind of Christmas" album

Previews available for the Christmas album.

I've got a guess for who Pop Fly (the mystery char on the album) is, after listening to the preview. The album is mostly Mane 6. AJ has Granny Smith and Apple Bloom join her. Spike gets a song. Pop Fly gets a song. And the preview reveals Pop Fly is a colt, so not Lena Hall's character. I think Pop Fly is Fluttershy's little brother. (Considering he's singing "Last Year I Got Coal for Christmas," sounds like he's kind of a brat.)

Well, we've known since SDCC Fluttershy has a brother. I'm just speculating on the identity of the mystery character on the album.

This album also includes a full version of "The Heart Carol" for the very first time. (I always thought the version we got in "Hearth's Warming Eve" sounded like it was only a fragment of a longer song.)

Listening to it now. Most of these do have added verses by Daniel Ingram.

"It's A Pony Kind of Christmas" (Mane 6 + Phoenix Chamber Choir) - Kinda forgettable, pretty standard Christmassy type song. Dash breaks into another song during it and the rest just kind of shut her up and continue on.

"Jingle Bells" (Rainbow Dash) - Plenty of added lyrics to this one, and the rock overtones just make me want Dashie to get a full on rocker even more. "I'll Fly" was alright, but Dashie can totally fucking rip it on a hard rocker along the lines of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation" if they'd only let her.

"Deck the Halls" (Kazumi Evens (sounds like she's heavily channeling Rarity for this one) + Phoenix Chamber Choir) - Rarity does "Deck the Halls". Nice punchy bass on this one, but nothing super outsanding. Definitely nice if you're a fan of Rarity's singing voice.

"We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (Twilight Sparkle + Phoenix Chamber Choir) - The added lyrics to this one definitely sound like something from the show. 

"Silent Night" (Fluttershy + Phoenix Chamber Choir) - Quite fitting choice for Fluttershy. I'm liking this rendition better than the standard version by far.

"Twelve Days of Christmas" (Pinkie Pie) - First day and it's already decidedly Pinkie Pie. Also, pretty sure there's ukulele and kazoo in this. And cherrychangas. It's no "Twelve Days of Heavy Metal Christmas", but I'll very much allow it. This version also doesn't spend a lot of time fucking around, so it's relatively brief for the song. It's very Pinkie Pie and bubbly and fun and how can you not have fun and smile during this? 

"Last Year I Got Coal for Christmas" (Pop Fly) - Dunno who Pop Fly is, but he's definitely a foal. Punchy, fun song. Is this Snips's voice actor? I hear shades of Snips in him. 

"Jolly Ol' St. Nick" (Spike) - Sort of a classy, jazzy Sinatra type of rendition of the song. Oh man, now he's busting out the scat. These added lyrics are very Spike. I'm still not sure Spike needs a solo song, but this one was enjoyable enough.

"Days Gone By (Auld Lang Syne)" (Applejack, Applebloom, and Granny Smith) - Opening bit has shades of BBBFF. I'm not super familiar with the standard rendition of the song, so I can't fully comment on it. There's definitely a folk influence in the music. Definitely some Celtic influence.

"The Heart Carol" (Phoenix Chamber Choir) - Extended version of the one heard in the show. I can see why the full version didn't make it into the show, but this fixes the feeling of it being abbreviated.

Top 3 tracks in no particular order:

Jingle Bells

Twelve Days of Christmas

Last Year I Got Coal For Christmas

Can definitely recommend it as a Christmas album, so it sits alongside Twisted Sister's "A Twisted Christmas" and Matthew Ebel's "High Orbit Holiday Special" as the only Christmas albums I'll recommend.

Someone on EqD said Pop Fly was done by Vincent Tong. (Most infamous for being Flash's VA.) Wonder if we'll find out for sure who he is anytime soon. (I mean, yeah, I'm still half-convinced he's Fluttershy's brother. If he is, we won't find out until next season.)

I think he's much more infamous for pairing his Flash Sentry dakimakura with Peter New's Big Macintosh daki.

Also, I can't stress how much goddamn fun Dashie's rendition of "Jingle Bells" is. The lyrics sound like she kidnaps Rarity, Pinkie, and AJ for a sonic rainboom sleigh ride. I think it's definitely begging to be blasted through your car's sound system while hauling ass down the wide open road.

And now "It's A Pony Kind of Christmas" is stuck in my head.... IT'S TOO EARLY FOR CHRISTMAS SONGS, OH CELESTIA WHY... Now I can't stop listening to it. :doublefacehoof:

Yeah, that version of "Jingle Bells" is hilarious. Is it wrong I could totally see Dash doing that in show? (Well, I doubt Pinkie was forced. She'd probably think it was fun.)

I'm planning to make that version of Jingle Bells my ringtone for the holiday season. (I'm totally grabbing the bit that ends with the sonic rainboom line.)