Sign in to follow this  
Steamworks

Overwatch up for pre-order

Overwatch is also going to be on console where its style of gameplay has no competitor so I can imagine it will do pretty well on consoles. At least I plan on getting it on console most likely.

And why is that?

Because they're not being transparent about Overwatch's business model right now, I.E: not telling us if we have to buy future characters and such

Because they're not being transparent about Overwatch's business model right now, I.E: not telling us if we have to buy future characters and such

Really? That's what's bothering you the most? I mean, I think I understand why that is bothering you, but seems like a lot of skepticism.

Wasn't it supposed to be F2P from the get-go? 

Apparently the reason why Blizzard is charging money now is because they wanted the game on consoles, which sometimes doesn't end up working too well, specially if you game is multiplayer only i.e. Evolve and Titanfall. Not saying this happens all the time, Destiny did quite well but that's because Bungie developed it and it had a lot of hype surrounding it.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/06/why-overwatch-isnt-free-to-play/ 

Pretty much sums why they're doing this. In the end it all comes down to money. Blizzard knows there's a untapped market of console games who aren't hardcore PC guys at all, and they want that market. However Overwatch is not COD or Destiny, and this could backfire, forcing Overwatch to go F2P in the future, which I have a feeling it will in about maybe a year or so 

I'm looking forward to the game, after initially being fairly cool towards it. Game play looking like it might be a little different from fps, since a lot of abilities seem to seek out or stick to enemies. Does have some pretty nifty characters and designs and such. Graphics seem a bit intensive for the hardcore fps crowd, but we shall see. I probably would have bought the origin pack anyway,  but dem Diablo3 Mercy wings. 

diablo3-overwatch-fl%C3%BCgel_news.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/7/9688324/overwatch-buy-to-play-blizzard-pricing-model-plans

One of the other stated reasons for the "buy the whole package, get the whole package" plan is that with gameplay focused on character swapping mid battle, the way you see in tf2, gating most characters behind fees or unlocks runs counter to the intended flow. What's the point of having options if a lot of players.. well, won't? 

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/7/9688324/overwatch-buy-to-play-blizzard-pricing-model-plans

One of the other stated reasons for the "buy the whole package, get the whole package" plan is that with gameplay focused on character swapping mid battle, the way you see in tf2, gating most characters behind fees or unlocks runs counter to the intended flow. What's the point of having options if a lot of players.. well, won't? 

That makes sense. Still, I would love to try this game out before I buy it. After playing Battleborn I have some expectations.

I think the only stipulation to getting into the beta is having a Bnet account. Never hurts to sign up and see if you can get in.