WanderPony

Do you think the film will be rated G or PG?

I'm honestly not sure.

On one hand, G-rated movies are really rare nowadays, regardless of the film's content, due to the belief that G = for kids and PG = for families. Most animated films nowadays get a PG rating even if there's no more edgy content than an older G-rated Disney or Don Bluth film.

On the other hand, it would be EXTREMELY strange for a My Little Pony movie to be given a PG rating.

• Like 1

Well look at it this way. The show started with G rating and is aimed for very young age. That was seven years ago so by now the original demographic has actually grown up a lot. So it wouldn't be too strange.

Of course it probably will be G rating anyway.

• Like 3

its like what the nostalgia critic said pg is now considered mostly g.

I think its more likely to be rated g but it depends on Hasbro's decision mking

• Like 1

I feel as though the writers would want it to be G. They grew up with and take heavy inspiration from the Classic Disney movies, which were released back when the Hay's Code was a thing so they often got off with violence and occasional language (jackass in Pinocchio and hell in Sleeping Beauty) scot-free. However, since you aren't a kid if you haven't seen such movies, it'd make sense to them that it'd get the most kid-friendly rating possible.

However, the Hasbro execs would probably want more than a generous slice of that moolah, and the chart says PG movies gross more because of various factors, so they'll probably sneak in a drip of blood or an innuendo to double their profit.

You never know, it could get NC-17 for excessive nudity.

• Like 1

I feel most likely PG as the trailer showed scenes like fighting and the mane 6 placed in danger from Tempest blasting a magic blast that sent them tumbling seems to support a PG label than a G rating.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Tempest blasting a magic blast that sent them tumbling

Is that her name? I have already gotten into the habit of calling her "edgy Emily Blunt pony". I suppose I will get used to Tempest soon enough :P 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Is that her name? I have already gotten into the habit of calling her "edgy Emily Blunt pony". I suppose I will get used to Tempest soon enough :P 

Tempest Shadow or something i believe is her full name or so. Just that I know that she's a character literally built to check mark every edgy mlp oc list they could think of on her.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nuke87654 said:

Tempest Shadow or something i believe is her full name or so. Just that I know that she's a character literally built to check mark every edgy mlp pc list they could think of on her.

She also has an obnoxious sidekick who I feel is gonna get on my nerves even more than she is. Just another reason why I am not looking forward to this movie.

• Like 2

I know Tempest is her name but in my heart she will forever be Miss Edgyhorn. I have nothing against her though, she is just a thing we have seen way too many times. Will anyone be surprised when she reforms when Twilight shows her the way of the pony memes?

Anyway didn't old Disney films all have G rating? And they did get away with all kinds of stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cinder Vel said:

I know Tempest is her name but in my heart she will forever be Miss Edgyhorn. I have nothing against her though, she is just a thing we have seen way too many times. Will anyone be surprised when she reforms when Twilight shows her the way of the pony memes?

Anyway didn't old Disney films all have G rating? And they did get away with all kinds of stuff.

Yea they did, but that was back when censors were more willing to let things slide and especially for Disney as Disney above others tend to get away with crap that other censors would've went berserk on. Besides, I don't feel PG is a bad rating for kids as that usually means some danger is in it so unless you have sensitive parents or are a toddler, you're not going to be traumatized by it or so.

As for Tempest, we have to wait and see how she is and even if she is a cliche, a well made cliche is better than a bad one I say.

• Like 1

I guess I just understand what ratings are. Never knew about them when I was a child so I watched pretty much anything. And look at me now! I am cured of sanity!

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but I've been trying to think of all the G-rated films released within the past five years. The only ones I can think of are The Peanuts Movie and Cars 3.

Anything else?

I think PG.  I went to look and both Frozen and Moana had PG ratings to which MLP seems to be on about the same level.  That said, you never know with the MPAA.

Edit:  Sorry, Wanderlust.  I saw your second post right after the first one.

Edited by Tinsel Flow
Accidentally missed a post with information and wanted to account for it.
  • Like 1