Sign in to follow this  
Dr Ned

what grinds your gears

I thought this was in real life (then it would be when someone orders a steak "well done" :applebelch:).

In movies: Probably when they cut to the antagonist at the end to show he survived, in case you didn't guess from watching.

Gaming: When you're playing Civ 5 and some guy drops out on the first turn because he got the jungle city

• Like 1

me its these things

1. in movies when it jumps around from scene to scene without explaining anything it leves more questions then answers( I'm looking at you my bloody valentine 2 and batman v super man)
  2.  in games random difficulty spikes (I hate when the game goes from normal to nightmare mode in 2 seconds)
  3.  in tv ten titans go and sugarcoating to the extreme

• Like 1

@Nightshroud Ooh, that reminds me. Don't you hate when games have that one mini-game or event with entirely different gameplay mechanics that you haven't had a chance to get good at, and you can't continue until you beat it? Often some bullshit one-off vehicle thing. Like I was having fun being an awesome secret agent but now I have to scrape by at being a shitty pilot or else Dr. Maniacal will get the nuclear codes and destroy modern civilization? Oh fuck, pressing up makes you go down, annnnnd I hit a mountain. Wonderful. If there's an afterlife, I bet those 237 henchmen I breezed through in the last level are really laughing it up right now.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AaronMk said:

The existence of Erdogan.

At first I read that as "The existence of Eragon" and was like "yeah, I could see that."

Anyway, here are some habits in movies that get me p**v*d:

- Dull, colorless, generic, modern-looking costumes in "period" action flicks. Eragon, for example, where you'd almost think the leather jackets and pants came from a night at the club rather than being the rough-hewn work of peasant industry.

- Highly-choreographed slow-mo Jackie Chan Meets The Matrix white-guy Wushu fight scenes in the same. 

I'm all for some SCA-esque "history the way it SHOULD have been" fun but a lot of these serve no purpose and actually flatten out any interesting bits of it for the sake of looking like a fashion magazine cover.

These aren't actually my tops, they just sprang to mind instantly because "Eragon."

Oh yeah, before I forget! This one is inspired by the title:

- Cartoons where everyone is a jerkass all the time.

• Like 2

When people complain of getting hate when they purposly go into fan clubs of certain characters and attack said character.

• Like 4

@Sylveon I know right like why whine bout hate when you go into said fan club and attack said character its pointless it spawns unneeded drama

• Like 3

Hey ya'll how bout those who start unneeded drama for no reason other then to get noticed

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nightshroud said:

@Sylveon I know right like why whine bout hate when you go into said fan club and attack said character its pointless it spawns unneeded drama

Im sorry, but thats just plain stupid. If you cant handle taking someone else's opinion, the log out button is right there.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2017 at 5:42 PM, LostSanity said:

When people give me BS for my opinions.

Not all opinions are equal in merit! Some are misinformed, or based on a repugnant set of values, or just plain stupid. Some are merely attacks on a thing or person that other people may be quite fond of, thus soliciting the expression of a firm counter-opinion. It's good to respect people as human beings, but that doesn't necessarily extend to every rancid thought that we fart out of our mouths.

...Hypothetically. I don't care one way or the other whether you like every character in the silly tv show. Your contempt for Trixie and Discord does nothing to diminish them.

• Like 2

Thought of a new one.

When people tell me to just 'accept things' and 'fall in line'

Yeah I don't think so.

BE UNIQUE.

BE DIFFERENT.

• Like 1

Video games in general, especially boss battles where you get all your weapons taken away and have to fight a boss (and his dozens of requisite minions simultaneously) with the equivalent of a sharp stick, bare feet and a loin cloth. 

Movies that use rapidfire editing and bullet-time effects in the lame assumption that it builds tension or excitement for action scenes. For me it builds up a desire to get up and get a cheese sandwich until the chaos onscreen subsides and I can follow it again.

And finally, condescending rude people. Yeah, they suck. 

I'm sure I'll be back with more. 

• Like 2

"Normal people only use 10% of their brain. We found a way to unlock the other 90%."

I mean, not only is it not true, and not only do the ensuing superpowers not even make any sense (why do things float just because you're using more neurons to stare at them? Really you should just start having a seizure until your brain overheats from operating at 200W instead of 20), but then the rest of the movie doesn't involve what's most likely to happen even assuming all the ridiculous stuff was true. That's right, nobody uses their newfound super-duper brain power to throw physically-impossible orgies.

Well I mean, Lawnmower Man doesn't count because that part only happened in The Virtual World.

On 7/24/2017 at 4:20 AM, SunGuppy said:

Movies that use rapidfire editing and bullet-time effects in the lame assumption that it builds tension or excitement for action scenes

Bullet time's alright, but I agree that the trendy quick cuts during Hollywood action scenes make them hard to follow and uninteresting.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, Nile Komnenos said:

Politics being shoved into media.

Per this, I disagree. While partisanship is sort of shit, it's not strictly a new problem. But one of the principles of any functioning democracy is an understanding that the population or voters on the whole have an understanding of the issues at hand in order to accurately pick and choose a candidate or options on, or discuss particular topics at hand. While this might include pouring over lengthy statistical information (which no everyone has time to do) or absorbing or making philosophical/ethical/moral arguments for or against something to build that personal base. As it stands, it might be argued that some issues get so complicated or are portrayed as such and that in today's society of just not wanting to be "inconvenienced" with something people turn to over-simplification of the narrative by sucking in whatever's on TV, the internet, or radio so long as it doesn't make them uncomfortable (because sometimes ignoring human misery to make a 2D illustration melted down into polar-opposite black-and-white decisions is just a matter of convenience for people, or are made to by the commercial operations of the media).

Like, shit: over a century or a century and a half ago people willingly made weekly pilgrimages to the local tavern to not just get shit-faced, but to also partake in tavern-level politics and perform their part in the democratic spectacle by engaging one another over something. During the Revolutionary period men would gather around and regardless on whether or not they could even read would spend two to four hours a night in a week or whenever to listen to someone read Thomas Paine's latest pamphlet and then discuss it. Though, Thomas Paine has a particular advantage in that he willingly and openly said literally anyone and everyone can reprint his work and he wouldn't ask for a penny; today's media landscape and even the landscape post-Paine filled in with competing interests who ran into each other trying to get to the juiciest scoop first, the moral integrity of the journalist be damned in the editor's eyes.

Still, newspapers on either side of the fence play an impact in the democratic process by getting information down to the voters to deliberate on. We've only lost the local tavern talk, which is a hard shame. We need that sort of culture back, we need some Bookchin.