Sign in to follow this  
Dr Ned

what grinds your gears

A fair deal of games for the current generation of consoles seem to be remakes of games from the last generation.  Little wonder why I have largely lost interest in gaming.

On 7/24/2017 at 0:55 PM, Nile Komnenos said:

Politics being shoved into media.

Or politics in general, really. Can't stand them. I usually try to ignore it.

"you can't just ignore a tornado."

alright, I can try to. Just because I know the tornado is there doesn't mean I'm going to like the fact that there's a tornado.

Commercials in general tend to irritate me, but the two types of commercials I just cannot stand are ones that make no sense (at least when they're not trying to be funny), and car commercials that tug on the heartstrings or compare owning a car to family or friends in some way.

The high prices of used vehicles in the United States are irritating. Toyota Tacomas retain their value so well that one may as well buy a new one instead. 

On 9/7/2017 at 1:01 AM, PixelGrip94 said:

Commercials in general tend to irritate me, but the two types of commercials I just cannot stand are ones that make no sense (at least when they're not trying to be funny)

As a U.S Highschool student <18, it absolutely tears my brain apart being constantly under attack from all the political ads. I honestly hope Apple can make a setting to eliminate/remove political ads if you're not a registered voter yet. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but recently I've been listening to "FoE: Project Horizons," and the average video is 2:30:00. The problem is that the first hour, there are ads every 5 - 8 minutes.I understand there's political tension/ anticipation right now, but GEEZ can anyone get a break?

Oh But I'm not finished! rather, this is just the beginning. There is only thing worse than this, is an unspeakable horror.

The only thing that wholeheartedly "grinds my gears" is clickbait moblie ads.

Here's my reasoning:

1. The "G@m3r$" are complete trash idiots with no mental skills,

2. The ads "include in ad trial gameplay", but when you go to tap them, it takes you to the appstore, as if you ever even wanted to download such trash (at least what the ads have taught us, but I'll get to that soon :scaryluna:)

3. The poor ad quality (audio and visuals require a double-dip of brain bleach), 100% turns off viewers from ever considering the chance of even trying the game, even though in reality the game might be most popular of the year. (not in "40yr old moms who play candy crush" standards, obviously), and this can actually hurt sales instead of increase them.

Also I completely H8 Grammarly ads.

I take it I am not alone in listing high rent prices here (hopefully I can buy a modest home within a couple of years or so).

What else grinds my gears?  Poorly plowed or unplowed roads in the winter.  I have been driving my current vehicle for a long time, and even thought it still runs reliably, I may be forced to get something with all-wheel drive of four-wheel drive for the longer commute required by my new job.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 3:30 AM, M2 Ball said:

high rent prices

Out of curiosity. How high is your rent and how big is your apartment? My rent is 540€ and I live in a typical 27,5 square meter one room suicide apartment. I think it's annoyingly expensive.

Other expensive things that grind my gears:

Obtaining a motor vehicle. Thanks to car tax that is included in the price of new vehicles.

Owning a motor vehicle. Annual vehicle tax for my car is 440$. In return for that money I get nothing. Oh, and the mandatory periodical technical inspection is 100$ every year.

Driving a motor vehicle. Regular gas costs about 6,5$ per gallon (again high taxes).

Food is expensive, beer is expensive, cigarettes are super expensive. Basically everything that you can find in a supermarket is expensive.

On 8/28/2020 at 2:29 PM, Fintale said:

Out of curiosity. How high is your rent and how big is your apartment? My rent is 540€ and I live in a typical 27,5 square meter one room suicide apartment. I think it's annoyingly expensive.

Other expensive things that grind my gears:

Obtaining a motor vehicle. Thanks to car tax that is included in the price of new vehicles.

Owning a motor vehicle. Annual vehicle tax for my car is 440$. In return for that money I get nothing. Oh, and the mandatory periodical technical inspection is 100$ every year.

Driving a motor vehicle. Regular gas costs about 6,5$ per gallon (again high taxes).

Food is expensive, beer is expensive, cigarettes are super expensive. Basically everything that you can find in a supermarket is expensive.

My apartment isn't going to be considered to be expensive by some European or major metropolitan standards (around US $950 per month for what converts to a little over 67 square meters), but rent prices have been skyrocketing in the United States over the years (I was paying US $200 per month less for the same apartment a few years ago), and I am living in a suburban area.  I would like to relocate to a metropolitan area closer to work, but a similar sized apartment around there would cost me US $1200-$1600 per month.  As long as I don't end up getting laid off in the future, I may be able to buy a small house in the not-too-distant future (perhaps in a couple of years or so). 

• Like 1

I find it quite irritating when people (especially those who make nutrition labels) refer to table salt as sodium. Sodium is actually a soft, grayish metal that reacts violently with water. If these people paid attention in their science classes, they would know that table salt is sodium chloride.

I am not an English professor by any means, but I also get irritated by seeing nouns pluralized by an apostrophe followed by the letter “s”.

• Like 1