ABronyAccount

Breath of the Wild

This game is pretty much the main reason I haven't been very active in the last couple of months.

The open-ended exploration with general, but not time-sensitive, destinations and quests is really a culmination of the classic Zelda formula. Exploration has always been a theme in this franchise, and that never changed despite how dramatically its freedom eventually became outpaced by new generations of sandbox/open world games. Well, now we have an open world Zelda and it is marvelous!

It certainly is an experience, and because of that I though it would be nice to have a thread to share those experiences as we all shuffle around the vast lands of Hyrule!

Also the first wave of DLC has just dropped, including some nifty call-backs and a few nice utilities here and there.

Since things are very go-at-your-own pace, everyone's progression will be different and the details of the world are only revealed gradually, in encounters and events. So it's probably a good idea to SPOILER any plot-relevant bits of info, puzzle solutions, or hidden objectives.

If you're stuck on something, feel free to ask! But let's also SPOILER the answer, please. Not everybody who wanders into here wants to get SPOILERed, right?

[Spoiler] Your hidden text goes here[/spoiler] 

Like so!

So how's your quest coming along, hero?

I've been enjoying Breath of the Wild since May too, mate. I really like the sheer freedom the game gives you (after the Great Plateau), even if that freedom has led to going into areas well beyond what I was capable of handling and having to run screaming from enemies who could one-shot me at times. But that was kinda fun in its own way too.
The combat feels a bit... I dunno, it's not bad or anything, it just feels a bit lacking.
Breakable weapons are kind of annoying, but ultimately I'm okay with them.
Shield surfing is rather fun.

I don't much love the Divine Beasts, but I do enjoy the Champion abilities. Primarily Revali's Gale, since that makes exploration easier, and I do love the exploration.

I do like the look of the DLC gear, though I haven't gotten any of it yet.

As for Trial of the Sword...

I only got up to the Stone Talus before I died. Because I'd never fought a Stone Talus before that point, and it fell on me.

Also, I started Master Mode today, and I'm just gonna put what happened in the spoiler, 'cause it's almost definitely spoiler-territory:

I spent the first hour realizing that I had no reliable way of damaging the Blue Bokoblins faster than they could regenerate.
Also, realizing that enemies have regenerating HP. Which, yeah. That was annoying, and made sure I had to run away from most encounters after stealing whatever weapons I could since I couldn't attack frequently enough to prevent regeneration for fear that I'd run out of all of my weak weapons (and they were all weak weapons). Though I did manage to snag quite a few weapons, including a Boko Bow and quite a few arrows.

The Great Plateau shrines were all still easy, though I swear they moved at least one, because I'm pretty sure the Stasis one was elsewhere before (though I haven't been to the Great Plateau on the normal file in a long time, so I could be wrong).

On another note, there is a SILVER LYNEL near the Bomb Shrine, and when I saw that I moved extremely carefully since I knew those guys could see Link from far away and I didn't want to get into a Lynel fight until I had some means of defending myself... However, after I got the Bombs, I figured I should try to take on the SILVER LYNEL that was right near the Bomb Shrine. Even though my only strategy was to bomb it to death (which, now I want to go into my normal file and see if that could work, 'cause I'm curious), because I completely forgot about that damn regenerating HP. But that didn't matter, because the Lynel killed me every time I got near it for half an hour until I gave up. The first many deaths were down to Bomb Arrows being something I couldn't outrun... or dodge... or parry. Especially the ones that dropped straight down on me. And I swear he shot one of those while galloping toward me, which really threw me off since I was expecting an attack and got DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS'd before it even reached me. After that, I went the stealth approach and managed to get close enough to get killed by the crusher a couple of times. Then I gave up.
I'm not sure what the point of the Silver Lynel here is, besides making you feel how weak you truly are. Just in case going from killing Silver Lynels like it's nothing special to struggling with Bokoblins hadn't done that already.

However, I escaped the Great Plateau after like 4 hours, and I... made a brief detour to go back to the first shrine you go to, use Magnesis to bring the metal-boulder as cover, and retrieve a treasure chest from the Octorok-platform. Which I had tried after getting Magnesis and failed, and just wrote off at the time. Don't even remember what was in that chest, really.

made my way to Kakariko and Hateno because I'm too weak to go exploring without just running away from everything. In Hateno, I was extremely happy that I didn't get rained out with the blue flame like I was in my original playthrough.

Then I did something similar to what I did on my original playthrough, and made a beeline for the Rito Village (well, my original playthrough was just trying to find the Zora's Domain and exploring until I ended up at Rito Village, but this time I was actually going for Rito Village because I didn't want to deal with Electric Lizalfos In The Rain without being able to skip large amounts of it with Revali's Gale like I did last time). I also bought the cold-resistant Rito body armor, because I didn't do that on my normal file and I should have (running out of spicy food on Vah Medoh sucks, especially during Windblight Ganon).

When I start playing again (hopefully tomorrow/Thursday), I'll either tackle Vah Medoh (Hopefully that doesn't end too poorly. I have 5 Hearts, so I should be able to take a hit or two from Windblight Ganon, hopefully), or do something really crazy and go to Gerudo Town and take on Vah Naboris. Not sure which I'll go for yet, to be honest.

On an unrelated note, I've forgotten where the Coliseum Ruins are, but I need to check that place out, since I'm pretty sure there's a Gold Lynel in there, and I wanna see one of those at some point.

Overall, I like Master Mode so far. It's much more challenging, but I really enjoy it.

Also, just loving this game in general, really. It's just so much fun!

Edited by Ribbon
Formatting Spoilers.

I'm a huge fan of the Zelda franchise. At least, the 3D episodes since OoT. Breath of the wild convince me to buy the nintendo switch day one, on its own.

First, I have to say that this game is one of the best game I played on my whole gamer's life. But in my opinion, not the best, it's not even my favorite Zelda.

I really enjoyed the sandbox, the challenge to defeat some powerful enemies, the voice acting, the musics (yes, they are), the exploration, and most of all, the 4 little dungeons (the 4 best ones ever, from all Zelda, rly). But I have a huge deception : The scenario.

I expected a good scenario, focused on the Sheikah background. I was pretty sure they give some explanations about their treachery to the Hyrule kingdom, and how they have been banned and punished (remember the shadow temple in ocarina of time).

No, the Sheikah in Botw are just a huge disappointment for me. Plus, the narration is too short for a Zelda, some cinematic and dialogues, and it's over. That's a disappointment too, because the thing I prefer in a game, in a Zelda, is the scenario. But in despite of that I still consider this game as an awesome game. This kind of videogame you have to play once to understand what truely is a videogame.

I think most people have completed the game already so spoilers are an option, but not required to do so. I'm just making some slow progress on the switch right now due to either me or my brother's visits and my nephews wanting to play the system. I just barely started on the wii-u version since may, but waiting on the green light from my friend to borrow the game.

Am I the only one who had the "Ecstasy Of Gold" from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly playing when Link

was searching for his final memory?

On 7/5/2017 at 4:08 AM, Bakaarion said:

I'm a huge fan of the Zelda franchise. At least, the 3D episodes since OoT. Breath of the wild convince me to buy the nintendo switch day one, on its own.

First, I have to say that this game is one of the best game I played on my whole gamer's life. But in my opinion, not the best, it's not even my favorite Zelda.

I really enjoyed the sandbox, the challenge to defeat some powerful enemies, the voice acting, the musics (yes, they are), the exploration, and most of all, the 4 little dungeons (the 4 best ones ever, from all Zelda, rly). But I have a huge deception : The scenario.

I expected a good scenario, focused on the Sheikah background. I was pretty sure they give some explanations about their treachery to the Hyrule kingdom, and how they have been banned and punished (remember the shadow temple in ocarina of time).

No, the Sheikah in Botw are just a huge disappointment for me. Plus, the narration is too short for a Zelda, some cinematic and dialogues, and it's over. That's a disappointment too, because the thing I prefer in a game, in a Zelda, is the scenario. But in despite of that I still consider this game as an awesome game. This kind of videogame you have to play once to understand what truely is a videogame.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in the Sheikah's lack of involvement when I thought about it. It would've been nice to see some development for them... In fact, there's quite a bit of lore opportunities that were ignored. The primary one that comes to mind for me is the Rito, who... I can't really remember anything about them, beyond that they exist and have a Divine Beast that I thought was named after Mido from Ocarina at Time at first. It'd be nice for them to have something... I dunno, memorable?

But really, I'm most disappointed in the Yiga clan. Their lack of significance disappoints me.

And Master Kohga being a joke of a boss even in Master Mode is just lame.

But outside of the scenario (which IMO isn't that bad, it just isn't very fleshed out), I agree that this game is a great one.

And now, some musings about Master Mode:

Y'know, going through Master Mode, I didn't have much trouble with Thunderblight Ganon. Maybe it's because I'm better at dodging now, but he just wasn't that tough this go-around (although I did need multiple Full Recovery + Bonus Hearts foods to survive its attacks, but I had plenty of those, so that doesn't really matter... though I forgot that I didn't have fairies until about a third of the way through the fight, so that was a bit worrying when I looked in Materials and didn't see any glowing 1ups). In fact, it was actually rather fun, once I got off the slopey bits of Vah Naboris's interior (at least it doesn't start spinning... I would've made it start spinning).

It's weird, since I remember having quite a bit of trouble getting past the first phase last time (partially because I couldn't dodge the fast attack worth a damn, but my dodging was a bit spotty this time too and it wasn't nearly as bad), but this time it was easy. And I was worried about doing the Divine Beasts in the order opposite the one I went with on my Normal file (went Medoh > Ruta > Rudania > Naboris, so this time I'm going Naboris > Rudania > Ruta > Medoh). Maybe it's because I did this one first? Do the Divine Beasts have variable HP depending on the order you fight them in?

Also, Master Mode made killing a Lynel (which I did while exploring the Faron area (the rainforesty place where you can shoot the yellow dragon) before going into Vah Naboris, because I wanted to see if I could get a few more Shrines under my belt and grab another Heart before I went in... which was a good thing, since having 7 kept me alive at one point) feel like an accomplishment again. And I love that.
And eventually, when I'm strong enough to go back and slay that dastard Silver Lynel on the Great Plateau, it's going to feel amazing.

Alsoalso, one observation on Master Mode bosses, in the spoiler for those who want to discover this first hand:

The Blight Ganons regenerate HP like any other enemy when left alone for a bit. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

On the one hand, it makes sense, since everyone else does that.

On the other hand, this might make Fireblight significantly more annoying, given his fire-shield trick that he starts Phase 2 with.

Master Mode is much more fun than I expected it to be. Especially now that I'm decently equipped.

Master Mode or not, I think we can all agree that Lynels are the best enemies!

Believe it or not, I've gotten pretty far into the game without ever fighting one... until today. After mastering 3 out of 4 Divine Beasts and solving more than half of the shrines, I figured it was time.

Also, I had some armor that needs Lynel anatomy to max out.

From the start, I'd figured my basic strategy. Use my Stealth armor plus Majora's Mask to close the distance and get the first strike in. It's a perfectly cromulent strategy! Especially since you can't buy a Lynel Mask for the same purpose until after you've already killed one...

I'd already seen plenty of "BEST WAY TO KILL TEH LINULS" videos, so I knew to get them stunned, mount, wallop, repeat. Fallback strategy: stun, equip two-handed weapon, spin to win. Turning theory into action required some practice.

Practiced on a certain red-maned lynel at Shatterback Point a couple of times. Because of my overall kill counter, game progression, and gear (I think?), it was straight to white-maned lynels after that; pretty sure that's all that will spawn normally anymore. I've never gotten to fight a blue-maned lynel. SAD!

Had a moment of terror during my second encounter in the grasslands and a brutal mace-wielding white-mane. Between this and the previous lynel fight in the same area, I'd been thrashed pretty soundly and used my stock of helpful foods and all the good weapons, but the end was in sight and I wasn't about to give up. Just as I was putting the finishing blows on him, *DUM* "The blood moon rises once again..."
Fortunately the last strike landed just after the area reset, meaning I wouldn't have to battle this man-beast a second time. At least I think that's how the respawning works? If he had been vanquished even a split second before the blood moon animation, he'd be resurrected?

Also, the eastern canyon wall surrounding the Taobao Grasslands is a good area for harvesting Swift Violets if (like me) you need them for more armor upgrades. They're relatively plentiful on the right-hand rock wall between the two lynels.

It was also a lot easier to survive the fights when I remembered I was still wearing my Stealth Armor instead of my maxed-out sets. :doublefacehoof: Even the Hylian gear or Desert Voe armor gives 60 armor points when fully upgraded, and a pair of 4-star Amber earrings can put an extra 8 on top of that.

Also conquered my stand-offishness of Guardian Scouts while I was at it. Again, I need their drops for sweet gear upgrades! Their speed is my major problem because it makes closing on them a pain.

My preferred strategy is to lure them close to my cover spot so they get within striking distance without a laser blast. The goal is to amputate all six legs, each of which will spawn drops, to maximize the loot! But as soon as I try to get a swing of my Master Sword in, they back off too fast. I've been using hasty simmered fruit from lotus seeds to overcome their speed advantage, but it now occurs to me that I can just use Stasis+ once they get over to me. I should probably also use Statis+ more against the Lynels, like all the other posts mention... but I still

forget my runes exist when I'm in a fight! It's a just going to be a habit I need to build up.

Now, if I can figure out a quick way to take out the flying guardians there are quite a few places I'd like to revisit and explore...

On 7/12/2017 at 10:14 PM, ABronyAccount said:

Master Mode or not, I think we can all agree that Lynels are the best enemies!

Believe it or not, I've gotten pretty far into the game without ever fighting one... until today. After mastering 3 out of 4 Divine Beasts and solving more than half of the shrines, I figured it was time.

I killed the one by Zora's Domain. I just assumed you were supposed to fight it, and forgot you could stealth (summarized my whole Normal Mode run right there... I don't think I ever used stealth outside of the Yiga hideout, I either fought or ran screaming past everything I didn't want to fight). It was tough, but felt really good (and the Lynel weapons were nice too).

Definitely gonna do that again when I get there on Master Mode... which won't be for a while, since I'm gonna do the Gorons first. I hope it's a Gold Lynel! I've been waiting to see one of those for far too long!

But yeah, Lynels are best pony lion zebra variable-species-centaur-animal.

On 7/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, ABronyAccount said:

I have no idea why those spoilers are getting nested. Somehow the first one never closed despite being formatted correctly in text mode.

Yeah, that always happens to me too.

I just go into editing the post after posting it and move the nested spoilers out of the spoiler they're nested in, but it's still kind of annoying.

Also, is there a quick way to handle the flying Guardians without Ancient Arrows? I only ask because I've never gotten any, and I'd like to kill one some time.
Also because I'm certain those things will wreck me on Master Mode when I have to do... pretty much any area where they are.

Also, for regular Guardians, you can just shoot them in the eye with an arrow, which will stun them long enough for you to hack them up a bit. Just rinse and repeat from there, assuming you don't run out of arrows. That worked for me back when I didn't have the Master Sword (though I did go through most of my weapons... and my arrows... but it felt good to get that kill. Also that was on Normal Mode, not sure if it'll work on Master).

And I forget my Runes all the time too! Except when I decided that I was gonna kill the Silver Lynel on the Great Plateau with Remote Bombs and determination. But that didn't pan out.

One more question: Can anyone confirm if Hyrule is different in Master Mode? Because it feels different, but that might just be that I've been going to areas I didn't have to explore last time since I'm doing things in a different order and can't just skip large areas with Revali's Gale since I'm going to Medoh last.

Edited by Ribbon
Fixing Nested Spoiler