Sign in to follow this  
AaronMk

The ghost of Jihadi John strikes

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203

"France has declared a national state of emergency and has closed its borders after at least 40 people were killed in multiple shootings in Paris.

At least 15 people were killed near the Bataclan arts centre, where up to 60 people are being held hostage. Explosions and gunfire are reported."

The African/Syrian refugee camp to England may have also been attacked and there's unconfirmed reports that the "Jungle" camp at Calais is on fire.

Been keeping up on this. Truly a horrible event for the people of Paris, but then I saw this showing the recent newspaper headlines from Britain and France, and I got to say...

CTu0DJGUYAEEQZT.jpg

...can you discern at about what point humanity (or at least those working in print media) fails? :doublefacehoof:

Been keeping up on this. Truly a horrible event for the people of Paris, but then I saw this showing the recent newspaper headlines from Britain and France, and I got to say...

CTu0DJGUYAEEQZT.jpg

...can you discern at about what point humanity (or at least those working in print media) fails? :doublefacehoof:

This has been an ongoing thing in print magazines and isn't strictly new or unexpected. Hell, it's gotten the US to go to war once.

Maine.jpg

And you can't really do anything but not buy the papers to tell them to stop since in the Western World really we have the freedom of press enshrined as a principle.

Edited by AaronMk

This has been an ongoing thing in print magazines and isn't strictly new or unexpected. Hell, it's gotten the US to go to war once.

Maine.jpg

And you can't really do anything but not buy the papers to tell them to stop since in the Western World really we have the freedom of press enshrined as a principle.

I may be lacking in that thing Thomas Payne calls "common sense," but I think there's a problem when you undersell a series of terror attacks in Paris killing 140 people to tell folks where they can get their free Lego Star Wars toy, or that you got a 124 page food magazine featuring a "Bake Off winner." Not to mention all of them posting numbers have the wrong death tolls.

I may be lacking in that thing Thomas Payne calls "common sense," but I think there's a problem when you undersell a series of terror attacks in Paris killing 140 people to tell folks where they can get their free Lego Star Wars toy, or that you got a 124 page food magazine featuring a "Bake Off winner." Not to mention all of them posting numbers have the wrong death tolls.

Well all of these were literally getting drawn up as it was happening, so they got their articles primed and ready without any real editorializing.

But magazines like those are already infamous for being shit. And if you're buying them for legitimate information then you might have some problems or hold extreme political views. They're all the National Inquirer of European journalism.

That and "Stop the presses" doesn't really exist anymore. They're going to have their cover story, but they're not going to drop everything else for it. Information is infamously scant and changing from moment to moment, as evidenced by the differing death tolls based on time of submission to print, so there would be a lot of empty paper if they ran their cover story and only their cover story. Hell, go to any news website and your bait click links will  likely be about non Paris attacks too. It IS common sense. 

And because Paris happened doesn't mean the rest of the world stops. I just got into a discussion with someone about this in the comment section of an Al Jazeera article. He was angry they chose to publish an article about how there's debate on if a US-French climate change treaty is legally binding or not.

In the immediate wake of something like Paris there's only so much you can write for written journalism. You can't go through and do a hundred interviews with different people all about the same story or it'll get really old, really fast (or you end up posting a shit ton of short-ass articles). A story like Paris really has to wait for more developments to take up any more paper space, but that'll be incremental between issues. Tomorrow we'll likely have longer, more official statements by President Francois Hollande on this, announcement of scheduled meetings, and tying this into proposed formal talks to end the Syrian conflict so we can all concentrate on Daesh better. There are also additional gunmen on the run the police and military need to capture or neutralize, but that hasn't happened yet.

The core beginning spark of Paris is over, we have a death toll, time to run with it. And different tabloids'll be quoting different numbers because they lack the patience to wait until its over and must get the most buzz-news out with the least amount of editorializing.

...can you discern at about what point humanity (or at least those working in print media) fails? 

As someone who works in news (broadcast, rather than print, WPIX-TV in NYC), I'll be the first to admit that we sometimes skim over little details in the rush to get to air. 

I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you that the Star Wars advert was part of a layout template that had been created a day or two before press time, and that in the rush to get copy to press, someone just didn't have time to reformat the page. 

That said, this whole affair is eerie as hell. 

Presupposing certain facts not yet in evidence, ISIS has retaliated against France for the killing of a British citizen, in Syria, by Americans. The concept of statehood is starting to seem irrelevant. 

For those in the US not familiar with the history of the Revolutionary War, do some googling. One country, in particular, supported the US in the war against Britain. That country stood in solidarity with the US after the 9/11 attacks, in which I lost a colleague and co-worker who was on duty at 1 WTC. 

6a00d8341c630a53ef0153918406b6970b-pi

And tonight, on my way home from work, I saw the French flag flying in lights on the mast of the new 1 World Trade:

CTu_DpDUkAAmP8u.jpg:large

I get a weird, spooky, difficult-to-articulate vibe about this.

It's absolutely crazy, Paris is a 3 hour train ride from where I live, my father was in Paris two weeks ago and my mother was planing a small weekend trip THIS weekend, she luckily changed plans a while back but holy shit that make you think. I got back home last night and at 11 PM local time all the news starts flooding in on my whats app and online news feed, It was almost surreal.

Presupposing certain facts not yet in evidence, ISIS has retaliated against France for the killing of a British citizen, in Syria, by Americans. The concept of statehood is starting to seem irrelevant. 

I think assuming this attack as actually being in retaliation against Jihadi John may be presumptive, it's the title in the name of dark humor; but no disrespect in it. Pretty sure an attack to the scale as the one in Syria would have needed to have adequate pre-planning to pull off. Because what are the chances they'd hit the city and there's a concert at Bataclan and they would have known to go there to take and execute hostages (I don't think three men would have been an unhappy mistake). So it's realistically happenstance they were going to do this and it just so happens a British-born Jihadist was killed by America the day before.

If Daesh has the guts to hit Paris, what's not to say then they'll try to pull the same move on the US in revenge for martyring Jihadi John? It might be a far-fetched thought, but I'm sure it's crossing our security services and how they should prepare for that. And for sure pundits somewhere will be screaming ravenously about it.

Per nation-states, groups like Daesh sort of erode the strength of the concept of the nation-state anyways. They're non-state entities and are not bound by the same rules as a nation. You can't attack them in the same way you can attack Nazi Germany for instance. And they don't attack in the same way. They're fundamentally transcendent of national borders (as is the case of all the foreign fighters they have). Once more they have access to the same powers as a great power through civilian phone apps (they got Google Earth for satellite imagery, and I heard there's an app or two that actually keep tabs on and show where what airplane is in the sky at that time).

Edited by AaronMk

That's been circulating with the Paris news story, I've noticed, but this one happened back in April. Still really crummy and good that it's getting attention but probably not part of a coordinated attack on multiple countries. 

That's been circulating with the Paris news story, I've noticed, but this one happened back in April. Still really crummy and good that it's getting attention but probably not part of a coordinated attack on multiple countries. 

As I saw, but figured it's worth posting.