ChibiDashie

Actually getting sick from games?

Hint: It's not me

I've always wondered if anyone actually experienced at least some kind of sickness with video games, regardless if it was on console or PC. (This could include Virtual Reality, but I'm mostly focusing on non-VR games.) 

Mostly I'm wondering since my older brother gets vertigo very, very easily (For example, in a moving vehicle, he can't read a book since he is looking down or else he will puke.) and especially one instance where I was watching him play Wolfenstein: The New Order. He couldn't finish the game for months because of his vertigo, but he eventually pushed himself and actually finished it. Some time ago, I actually asked him what it would be like if said game got implemented for VR, and all he said to me was "I'd be in the hospital". 

Yeah, but for different sickness reasons. My eyes are very photosensitive, so playing virtually any video game will cause my eyes to twitch. Back then, I didn't know how much video games would affect my health, so I played them frequently. In 2000, I suffered a photosensitive seizure from playing video games too much. Afterwards, I tried to follow as many stringent guidelines as possible to avoid any symptoms, but decided that playing games is no longer worth my time instead. Nowadays, I don't play any games.

Like pretty much any manual will tell you, I'm sure it's best to only play games in small chunks (30 minutes per session tops). Given technology's current state, it gets more difficult for most of us to adapt to new advancements, which is why I think playing retro games is healthier than playing modern ones, as they're much simpler to understand from a mental mindset.

I averaged 20 hours a day on Stepmania for 4 consecutive weeks and now my kidneys and heart are failing from neglect.