Badshot

Picking computer parts, is what I picked good or no?

I'm new at this whole thing so I want some advice. I found a website PcPartPicker and saw it as a freaking godsend to help me pick some good parts.

However I'm not sure if what I have is good, it is my first one so if any of you expert computer builders or whatever have any advice or changes that would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to head up to Fry's Electronics soon to find what I can and get whats left either at Best Buy or online. Due note that I have around a $2000 budget so go nuts with any changes I guess, also I do not have external stuff like monitors or keyboards and such yet, I just want the darn thing to work first. The other stuff will come later. (also the case listed is the one I have, so I can't change that)

Anyway here's the link.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hWkHcf

Unfortunately I'm not an expert, nor do I know what games require what hardware, so I don't think I can really provide changes...but I will say that other than the CPU cooler (and that's just based on the compatibility notes), it seems like a pretty good machine.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card

:celestia:

Holy crap man. I've never seen computer specs like that, at least for the processor. And for that price to. I'm unfamiliar with power supplies and motherboards, but from I can tell, you have an amazing taste for Gaming Power and Performance. I think what you got set up here is going to work just fine.

Wells that's nice to hear! I might splurge a bit more, get the best I can, I haven't even gotten close to the wattage on the power supply yet.

And yes I am trying to make a top line gaming comupter, and eventually water cooling since my case has ports for it.

Man it's gonna be nice to see high resolution gaming at a good framerate. Ultra settings at a 60fps minimum on a majority of games, that's my goal.

Dammit now I'm excited!

Wells that's nice to hear! I might splurge a bit more, get the best I can, I haven't even gotten close to the wattage on the power supply yet.

And yes I am trying to make a top line gaming comupter, and eventually water cooling since my case has ports for it.

Man it's gonna be nice to see high resolution gaming at a good framerate. Ultra settings at a 60fps minimum on a majority of games, that's my goal.

Dammit now I'm excited!

You should be, these items will certainly do it. And considering you still have less than $600 in the budget, I say it's worth splurging a bit more for extra juice.

I'd go ahead and spend a little extra on watercooling. I'd also go for a full ATX motherboard rather than something tiny.

For the love of Luna, get a faster HDD. 5900rpm is so ass draggingly slow. Even if you don't go full SSD, make your primary drive at least 7200rpm. 5900rpm is more like laptop speeds.

Seagate HDDs are literally the worst hard drives out there.  Sure, you get more diskspace for your bits, but that's not always a good thing. Given the amount of bits you are spending on other things and your budget I would go for a couple of Samsung EVO 512GB and put them in a Raid 0 array or something.

Edited by "User"

What's your budget? I'll config a monster for you based off that.

Nvm, saw it.

Edited by Vin

I would listen to the Vin pony when it comes to computer specs as well as building computers within a budget, he is very knowledgeable about it

What case would he want? I got everything else sorted.

EDIT: Also case fans would come after he picks his desired case, so yee.

Edited by Vin

Also if you need an operating system, I have a copy of a windows master I can give you. Just need to burn it to a cd, install it, and it should install as an OEM system, no activation needed. So I'll exclude that for now.

The case that is listed, its one I got for free, also my case says it can support a full atx, but the site says it isn't compatible. Which is complete bull because it has screw holes for 5 different sizes including full and it only says micro on the site.

As for the Seagate, I chose that because I have an external Seagate, its about 1T. I'll change the other one.

Also I'm used to home premium but I don't know what windows master is, what's the advantage?

Windows Master is basically a ISO that has every 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions ranging from Basic to Ultimate.

Ultimate is the bugged one since OEM systems don't sell with Ultimate, so if you install, go with 64-bit Professional.

Anyways, here's the monster config minus the fans and operating system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7yLb3C    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k7Zqt6

EDIT: I'll have to research your case to see if liquid coolers would fit, its an easy switch though if it won't.

*Ok it doesn't fit a 240 radiator, but it might fit a 120 radiator, that's if the piping comes out the side and not the top. I'll look into that.

Hydro Series H60 fits perfectly, pipes come out the side, and will sit nicely with the cpu and gpu in place.

Edited by Vin

If you can, Badshot, can you open the front of the case and see what size fans the front can take? Should be 120mm, but if it can take 140, even better.

I should have some pictures on the forum somewhere but not of the front, the front has a built in fan though. About 4 inches and an inch thick. Also has blue LEDs. And has a slot for another it seems, however I get to it anyway.

Also has one on the back, and room for some on the top. Imma take some pictures and upload them later tonight because I gotta go to work in a few minutes.

I should have some pictures on the forum somewhere but not of the front, the front has a built in fan though. About 4 inches and an inch thick. Also has blue LEDs. And has a slot for another it seems, however I get to it anyway.

Also has one on the back, and room for some on the top. Imma take some pictures and upload them later tonight because I gotta go to work in a few minutes.

well compare the ones on the top to the front. should have 4 outer screw holes and 4 inner screw holes. outer holes are 140mm, inner are 120mm. if the front fan is on the inner holes, or it only has one set of holes, then its 120mm, the other three will be 140.

Ok I got pictures, to avoid spam I'm gonna spoiler them.

The label on the top

img_20151115_173206291_by_bgame46-d9guvx

It has two ports for water cooling in the back

img_20151115_172540669_by_bgame46-d9guvw

The back fan. I'm assuming its a 140, it's on the outer screw set.

img_20151115_172609025_by_bgame46-d9guvu

Spots for fans on the top

img_20151115_172637992_by_bgame46-d9guvs

The front fan and a slot for another 120

img_20151115_172703910_by_bgame46-d9guvq

Size comparison with my Companion Cube plushie

img_20151115_173006298_by_bgame46-d9guvo

Some other things I forgot what they do, something to do with HDDs and Optical drives I think

img_20151115_173050727_by_bgame46-d9guvm

The full backside, with Companion Cube staring into your soul from the top.

img_20151115_173150782_by_bgame46-d9guvk

The front is mostly design, the top of it has spots for a headset and various types of usb ports

An Ultra Defender 2, my dad found it in a werehouse he was sent to for something I think while they were getting rid of a bunch of ones with defects or cracks, the one he grabbed had a fracture on outer casing on the top, nothing that would hinder it but enough to have them throw it out.