Badshot

Picking computer parts, is what I picked good or no?

Well I'm sure the internal is the same, but it certainly doesn't have that outer casing, mine might be a slightly older model

• Like 1

it does look kind of the same thing tho except maybe for the front ^^ well i hope everything go well with your build. I never build a computer before but from all the video i have seen on the interweb it look kind of easy and i know that the most important thing is to have fun when building it and you will be so happy when you first hit that power bottom and it start without issue ^^

I hope so, putting it together is the easy and fun part. Picking the right parts is the annoying part.

Okay, so from the pictures, the back and the top can fit 140mm fans, and the front only two 120mm fans. The config thought is a rad with 120mm fan for the back, two 140mms for the top and two 120mms for the front, got eet. Color to the fans or no?

Note: Just putting this here so I can open it later. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k7Zqt6

Edited by Vin

So the thing is, do you want to replace that one stock blu fan with a high airflow one? because the ones i'll add have ~67 CFM airflow instead of the stock 24 CFM. Its up to you if you want a spare fan laying around.

You'd need the airflow to help the exhaust fan on the cpu radiator.

Oh ok, I don't mind that, but still want it blue since the front has two unmovable lights above the fans that are blue.

So PCPartPicker didn't have them listed, but this is all you need.

Corsair AF120 Blue Quiet/High AF Twin Pack http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-af120-led-blue-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan-twin-pack

Corsair AF140 Blue Quiet/High AF Single x2 http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-af140-led-blue-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan

That ontop of your PCPartPicker config http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k7Zqt6 will cost around $1777, you can maybe upgrade the storage slightly, but if $2000 is your budget, gotta keep shipping and electronic tax in mind.

To throw in my 2 bits:

You probably don't need a dedicated sound card unless you have some kind of high quality audio setup.

And using that money elsewhere:

I would grab a different power supply rather than a Corsair CX series, The EVGA 850 G2 you originally picked would be a good choice.

While not necessary, 16GB RAM can be had for ~$70.

To throw in my 2 bits:

You probably don't need a dedicated sound card unless you have some kind of high quality audio setup.

And using that money elsewhere:

I would grab a different power supply rather than a Corsair CX series, The EVGA 850 G2 you originally picked would be a good choice.

While not necessary, 16GB RAM can be had for ~$70.

Ram and storage was what I was looking to bump up, but then again he's ordering them piece by piece, so the final decision is his. He just has the template. Corsair and EVGA psus are practically the same. He doesn't really need more watts unless he wants to do an sli in the future.

Bought some of the parts today, got the processor, motherboard, video card, power supply, and hard drive. Enough to start putting it together. In a week's time I should have enough for everything else. 

As expected I do need to order some of them online. But I have my mothers amazon account and she gets free shipping for anything I can't find at the store.

If its not on amazon I can just find it somewhere.

Ram and storage was what I was looking to bump up, but then again he's ordering them piece by piece, so the final decision is his. He just has the template. Corsair and EVGA psus are practically the same. He doesn't really need more watts unless he wants to do an sli in the future.

I'm not saying all Corsair PSUs are bad. Corsair does make some good PSUs, but the OEM for the Corsair CX series is CWT and the power supplies are mediocre, budget PSUs; whereas the OEM for the EVGA Supernova G2 is Superflower. The CX series are also only Bronze certifiied and opposed to going up to a silver or gold rated PSU. Given his budget I would have rather seen a higher quality power supply in the build. It's not like the CX is going to spontaneously meltdown like really cheap PSUs, it's just not the best fit for the rest of the build. 

Even if we moved up for a gold or platinum rated corsair psu, the practicality of the use for it is still the same. If he wanted to, he can upgrade to a more modular psu with more watts, but then he'd be spending more for power he won't be using. A 750w for a 470w recommendation is way over the top, and its never going to hit the 470w limit unless he overclocks his cpu and gpu.

Perfect example is my build: 

5930k @ 4.4 Ghz turbo oc 

32gb of 2666 mhz vengeance lpx ram ocd to 2800mhz

titan x hybrid overclocked and running on kboost (full clock turbo and speed at all times)

and all the fans, hard drives, sound cards and extra peripherals that draw power.

Now the psu i have is the monster Corsair AX1200i, and with my whole build running at full power, its barely drawing 590w out of the 1200w.

Point is, its overkill. You'd ever only need a huge psu if you wish to sli multiple gpus at full clock speeds. Otherwise you'd never have a use for it, nor worry about it burning out.

I'm fine with the 750 atm, I do have room for another gpu I believe, but right now a single gtx 980 will definitely do me well.

Also comp is coming along great, though I can't find spots for the power button cord or reset button cord that's attached to the case. Also can't seem to find the right front USB cords, got the one for the 3.0 but can't find the 2.0s...

Didnt the case come with those cables preinstalled? Or ar you talking about the connectors that connect to the board?

On PSUs, rule of thumb is that you want your system's estimated total power usage to be around 2/3rds of what the PSU can provide. There's also an argument to be made for getting a larger PSU than you need as a means of future proofing it (my 750 watt PSU is actually from 2009 because I bought it with the future in mind). 

On PSUs, rule of thumb is that you want your system's estimated total power usage to be around 2/3rds of what the PSU can provide. There's also an argument to be made for getting a larger PSU than you need as a means of future proofing it (my 750 watt PSU is actually from 2009 because I bought it with the future in mind). 

This system's estimated was 490w. It has a 750w psu. Plus the fact that it will never hit the 700w mark on full load, he has it future proofed enough to fit another 980 ti on sli.

Didnt the case come with those cables preinstalled? Or ar you talking about the connectors that connect to the board?

the connectors, cant find slots for them. They're there, just where do they go on the motherboard...

I did, I might try to take a closer look. The power supply coords are everywhere, so I might take that out momentarily so I can see better.