PinkiePie97

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Mirror Magic

Title: Mirror Magic

Synopsis: Sunset Shimmer arrives home from Equestria with Starlight Glimmer to find the Mane 6 missing and Juniper Montage acting suspicious; Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer must discover the secrets of an enchanted mirror and help bring the Mane 6 home!

Airs: This morning at 11 A.M. on Discovery Family

I liked Mirror Magic. It was nice seeing Sunset go back to Equestria (even if it wasn't for long) and I thought Starlight had some amusing moments. I thought Juniper's redemption was alright. I think it could've been handled better, but it didn't feel as rushed as Starlight's did to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I liked Mirror Magic. It was nice seeing Sunset go back to Equestria (even if it wasn't for long) and I thought Starlight had some amusing moments. I thought Juniper's redemption was alright. I think it could've been handled better, but it didn't feel as rushed as Starlight's did to me.

Amusing moments for sure! Having Sunset be a pony again, meet Starlight, and bring her back were all "OH MY GOSH" moments for me. Also, having sunny stand on her rear legs as a pony and put her forehooves on her hips was hilarious! :awesomedash:

• Like 2

While it was awesome to see Sunset Shimmer back in Equestria for a breif time "Mirror Magic" was my least favorite of

the three Equestria Girls specials.

Mirror Magic felt very rushed, IMO & I wish Juniper Montage had been introduced in the first Equestria Girls special to flesh out her

character more thus giving me a reason to actually feel happy to see her reformed instead of just feeling "meh" about it after it happened.

I think a scene or two of Juniper messing with the mirror could have been dropped in favor of a little more time giving her an inner conflict before Starlight brings it up. Just a little exchange or moment of monologue about not having any friends would have gone a long way. Something along the lines of "who needs friends? I'm going to be FAMOUS!" maybe, or just a snipe at the Humane 7 for palling around and having fun while "I'm stuck here behind the counter all alone," basically anything to establish that she acknowledged her lack of friendship.

That said, the rest of the special stood up! And the long-awaited meeting of Starlight and Sunset was pretty great. Never would have figured Sunset could forget how to pony that badly. :doublefacehoof:

*silently enters Equestria Girl room*

Ahem, Juniper got worst redemption ever:

Juniper: I am going to be famous!
Starlight: How about friends instead?
Juniper: But who would want to be friends with me?
Starlight: I would you shaved monkey I have never meet before and have been fighting you at this moment desperately to save group of people from certain death. 

Yes Starlight's redemption was flawed too but at least her motivation was always for the greater good, it was her lack of morals and actions that were problem. I feel I missed something about Juniper, like a single scene where she expressed sadness for not having friends. 

Anyway with that said I enjoyed seeing ponies again in EqG and Sunset and Starlight were fun. I just don't get why Sunset insisted that Starlight must keep her being pony a secret. You know, after they entered human world in broad daylight in the crowded campus. With students that have already witnessed magic all the time. I mean are we pretending that first four movies were not noticed by the students? Is the water tainted?

Ok I got to run my two legged fans, cya on the other side of the portal!

*runs of back to Equestria*

This is probably a stupid question but is there a special between Dance Magic and Mirror Magic (in which case Uk TV really messed up the scheduling and skipped it) since I haven't seen Juniper before.

19 minutes ago, silverthorn said:

This is probably a stupid question but is there a special between Dance Magic and Mirror Magic (in which case Uk TV really messed up the scheduling and skipped it) since I haven't seen Juniper before.

Yes, that would be Movie Magic. They could’ve skipped it, but it’s also possible they’re airing them out of order.

In my opinion, Mirror Magic was an absolute treat. Starlight Glimmer is my fave pony and it was interesting seeing her in her human form. I loved Sunset Shimmer's new nickname and I love how it was Starlight who found a way to save the day. My only flaw with the episode was possibly Juniper Montage as the antagonist. I liked her redemption though.

On 29/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, PinkiePie97 said:

Yes, that would be Movie Magic. They could’ve skipped it, but it’s also possible they’re airing them out of order.

For some stupid reason they showed Movie Magic after Mirror Magic (way to spoil the second special). Mirror Magic was much better than I expected (although UK TV spoiling Sunset going pony again in the 'Next on POP!' sequence during the end credits of Dance Magic was another example of the reasons why the POP channel should leave all things Pony to the channel which shows the FIM series).

The one major downside is that Juniper was a pretty awful villain (although the Sunset/Starlight team up was pretty awesome).

Posting this here due to semi-relevance:

The digital masters of Mirror Magic that Shout Factory, Netflix and iTunes(?) received from Hasbro had some issues with its color coding.  If you're viewing this episode on any of those platforms you're going to notice Fluttershy, Juniper and Sunset all look very pale compared to the other characters.  A few of us in the community have already contacted Hasbro concerning the issue and it doesn't look like there's going to be a re-release of Mirror Magic in the foreseeable future.

So, at present, the recordings of the television version is the only one not affected by this foul-up.  They're probably your best bet for watching Mirror Magic.