Hello everybody,

My name is Evan - I'm not a brony, but I've made toys as a hobby my whole life and I love seeing my granddaughter play with the pony toys. (and yes, I spoil her). For me personally I've wondered why bronies tick for quite some time, so I've decided to make an account her to interact and do just that if you all don't mind.  I've got an aquitance in holland who wrote a good piece last week in ToyNews about it, but since Toynews pieces are very cramped and small and you can't talk much about a topic, I think there's more to it than he says.

As someone who has seen his daughter watch the '80s and now his granddaughter watch the '10s ponies, I truly wonder what makes it so different now that you guys like it so much.

oh, by the way, here's the piece from that holland guy. http://www.toynews-online.biz/opinion/read/does-tv-content-determine-how-children-play/048911 

• Like 2

Welcome sir to our humble forums and we hope you'll have a pleasant stay.

Regarding bronies well I am sure the answer depends from person to person. I think it is safe to say that the show itself simply is capable to click with large amount of people for various reasons. Now the article lists universe’s lore, conflict-based events and larger plots. But in my opinion those are not the most important thing. Characters themselves are. Old MLP had also epic plots and conflict with various evil big bad monsters, but the pony character themselves were lacking. The 80s show was lot darker than people give it credit, it is the show from the 00s that was more stereotypical girly. Anyway let's look for example one of the episodes that is really liked, such as Amending Fences. It is not an epic conflict, the episode is simply about reconciling with old childhood friends with whom the protagonist lost contact. Or Sisterhooves Social, an episode where two siblings argue and realize that they actual mean to each other more than they thought.

Also what is attractive about brony community in my opinion is how big, inclusive and creative it is. It's not just about liking a show, it is also about making friends with new people and creating things. As a toy maker I would suggest the toys fans have created.

Also article has a really strange choice for the show picture. No idea why would they use those designs instead of the designs seen in the show more frequently. Interesting article though.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy yourself.

And as Cinder vel said, the reason why people watch it largely varies from person to person, but it can click with a lot of people.

@cindervel I know the website pretty well. They always pick the pictures themselves, the authors of the articles have no say in that matter. And ye, a lot of toy industry insiders have barely any idea on what is popular in the real world and just run with a couple of half-baked pictures they get from all the commercials that fly around.

Hello and Welcome to this forum. I hope you can enjoy your stay here. I also hope you can keep up with the show, as S7 is now at mid-season hiatus.

:happybonbon:

However... keep in mind... I'm the controversial one. :megusta:

@Evan

I expected that but still feels odd to me. Those designs were only used twice in the show so I expect you would have to search for them, while regular designs can be found by simple google search in a second. Though I suppose I should be happy that they got the correct generation, I recall once some news using the pony designs from 80s.

Welcome @Evan to the forums!

As what Cinder said, Bronies do differ from person to person, you have some of the hardcore zealots and you have the more casual guys around. I'm sort of somewhere in the middle. As you can tell I don't have a pony avatar, but I love the show a lot and the lore that's behind it. After 7 seasons the show is rich with all sorts of stories and lore that makes me try to explore everything I can learn about the world of Equestria, and this latest season has been doing a lot of both character development and lore exploration which I've been super happy to see. I'm also an avid roleplayer so I like to participate in its world as well, and boy we've had some crazy adventures created.

Equestria might be full of mutli-colored equines, but boy the world it has created for itself is certainly both fascinating and crazy.

Hello Evan, welcome to the forums ! :HappyPinkie:

Take care, It's exactly this way I became a brony. By trying to resolve this anomaly by myself. I grew up with the so much girly ads in the 90's and that was so weird to think that adults could like this... thing that I needed to investigate.

For my part, I didn't liked this show at the firsts episodes, it was well written but still stereotyped and girly. But after a few episodes, they more and more break their own stereotype and it makes you taking care about these little ponies. They have a deep character design, the plots are pretty epic like any good RPG (<- I love it so it's my reference), the lore is full of possibilities like any good RPG (and even more, I mean... magic, monsters, wars, dragons, etc... Eh, is that something like lotr ? Dungeons & dragons ? no, just ponies). And for not turning into some hypocrite, yes, they are adorable, it counts too. BUT I'M VERY VIRILE, OKAY ???

Remove all of these points and you got Equestria girls, a show I don't like.

Hello everyone, thank you all for your kind responses. :)

@Cinder A load of these people are pure businessmen - its a fun bunch. Normally they leave all the designers alone and only interfere in their work because their enlightened minds think that something wouldn't appeal to kids enough or cause controversy for any reason. You should've seen their faces when Bronies came along - it went against everything they believed.

@Bakaarion @Toki That's what always got my attention - you guys really like that fantasy world a lot, do you? my granddaughter is mostly interested in Fluteshy's animals as far as I can tell. Interesting stuff.

Ah yes, I'm a brony for 1 year, and I could feel in my entrance that Hasbro didn't give a sign of "agreement" (didn't found better word) with adults watching their little girl license. So clear ! We have ponies for little girls, transformers for little boys, and the world is fine. I'm sure they had not a good opinion about bronies. But since the latest season 7, I think it's different. A little bit. The pink logo turned into purple, more neutral in minds (It's a strong marketing decision imho). And the trailer for the upcoming movie seems to be like any action cartoon (regard the trailers codes, it's not showed as a standard little girl movie). Yeah, I liked the wink in the trailer : "Friendship, and flowers, and ponies, and.. BLEAARK", it's a reference to the fandom, and it's going my way.

Before that, I think they just tolerate bronies for their money.

@Bakaarion well, to be frank, there are more "little girls" watching mlp than most of you realize. They just play with ponies and don't make fanfictions or deviantart art or youtube vlogs about them, so they're less vocal. Hasbro giving the impression that it would partially abandon the little girls is unthinkable, and given that the bronies are the ones along for the ride, such a gesture towards the bronies would do far more harm than good. All pony content they put out needs to be tailored towards their young audience foremostly, bronies next. And given that that always has been the case and the bronies like that content, why change it? If they altered the content they could not only alienate the kids, but the bronies as well through a change of tone, and then lacking the tone that got bronies in to begin with.

@Evan
I do wish I could have seen their faces. It is very enjoyable seeing interviews with people working on the show and discovering the fandom they have gained.

Regarding the marketing thing Bakaarion mentioned. It's not that we are expecting them to change focus from the main and most numerous demographic. It's just that it seems they are trying to expand from little girls to both little girls and boys.
Obviously bronies will continue to get only small hints and references and the thing also known as parental bonus (jokes that little kids don't get but parents do so whole family could enjoy something).

Hmmm, a bit of an investigation, eh? I can understand that. Good on you for not judging us without learning first.

Hasbro never will cater to just us, because we're not the ones buying millions of their toys, but there has been some noticable nods towards the fandom. If they keep us happy, we'll keep watching the show and helping their ratings. It's a pretty good business strategy, when you think about it. More viewers happy equals more profit. But they'll always side with the majority.

@Pumpkin Matt 

@AaronMk Thank you.

@Shadow Dash 

@Cinder Vel What is needed are people at Hasbro understand the little girls, and then the bronies. But the problem is is that Hasbro doesn't fully understand either and what they want in my opinion. If, for example, ''pony toys'' would've been accurate to the show from the get-go rather than e.g. the pink celestia, they've would sold far more toys to both the little girls and the bronies (as collectibles) rather than the crap they pushed out in 2010-2013. I do not really watch MLP apart from what my granddaughter showed me on Netflix so I don't know what Hasbro put out as references and small hints.

As someone who makes toys as a hobby and has seen two of his children grow up in the '80s-'90s with transformers and ponies, I can see Hasbro is struggling to comprehend both their audiences what they want. Not their fault, of course. But I think Lucas' work (see the link in my top post), with who I've been talking, could answer a lot of questions and help Hasbro get things done more effectively. I recommended to your Equestria Daily to post his article and ask Lucas questions, since he told me a lot about why bronies exist and MLP prevailed and why littlest pet shop and care bears crashed, Now I do not know much about MLP apart from what my granddaughter showed me and what Lucas told me, but I think MLP could be grander than it is now, if you could believe that.

Also, here's a drawing from my granddaughter :D.

TMpx3df.png

• Like 2

@Evan
Hasbro is very slow to react. Not only do they do not fully understand any of their audience, they are too slow to truly profit unless they do it by accident. Like they didn't start with Guardians of Harmony toyline until 2016 (unsure if it is that year). And the movie is arriving now in 2017, after 7 years. And only now did they change the logo to the purple from the pure pink. I think they missed their chance in 2013/4 to really profit when brony community was at it's peak. The novelty has worn off after 7 years and brony thing is hardly spectacle it was once. I can't really explain just how bigger the whole brony thing once was. But well Hasbro is hardly unique, honestly to me it feels big company executives lose touch with regular people and have strange expectations, especially in retail.

I feel like I should point out that toy department and show department don't interact much. Toy department doesn't acknowledge brony thing and they operate like they did in previous decades. When the two departments interact the toy department has the final word but Show tries to avoid as much as they can by showing the toy they are supposed to advertise only for one scene and sometimes in background. But sometimes toyline would introduce drastic change which would cause drama in the fandom, which shows that they don't really understand how show works. The Show references well they are something little kids are not likely to know like character cameos from 80s-90s movies or modern internet jokes.
Also from little that I hear Hasbro toys are generally of low quality and people usually talk about how it is better to get fan made stuff on conventions. That's what I heard though, can't confirm.

Oh and about posting article on Equestria Daily, you need to submit to the Equestria Daily staff. Forum is actually separate entity and is mostly gathering place for regular users to talk about either MLP or unrelated stuff. And I'll be honest it isn't populated that much, though it is active.

And aww nice drawing of Fluttershy, pretty good for paint program honestly :flattered:

• Like 1

@Evan
Lucas strikes again. I most certainly did find it interesting and was thinking of examples I knew as I read. Though actually what caught my attention in first part is something Lucas doesn't mention, that it was females that found cuteness and songs more annoying than males. Which kinda makes me wonder if industry really knows what audience wants or simply assumes based of outdated data.

Also that poor soul actually went to read topics on 4chan. He really is serious with his research. Though the example of "Rainbow Dash always dresses in style" is a joke about the old MLP cartoon. Character that is now competitive athlete was girly dress maker in older cartoon from 2000s.

Anyway Lucas keeps up the good work with his articles.

19 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

@Evan
Though actually what caught my attention in first part is something Lucas doesn't mention, that it was females that found cuteness and songs more annoying than males. Which kinda makes me wonder if industry really knows what audience wants or simply assumes based of outdated data.

Hi @Cinder Vel, @Evan forwarded me your question, and like I said, I would answer any hard question. Besides, I've been using EqD as a source of info for 6 years, so i thought it would be good to answer it here anyways.

I didn't mention this problem in my article since it relatively isn't that much of a problem compared to the biggest two business practices I talked about, otherwise I would go off-topic.

One also will have to take into account that people mentioning cutness/annoying songs can talk about one or more specific shows, not all girl shows it has seen. For example; the songs in Littlest Pet Shop and FIM could be seen as fine, but not those in Strawberry Shortcake, or vice versa. Also, since there are a bunch of (old) shows that are terrible in quality, I think its is safe to assume that it is a quality problem, not that these things exist in themselves.  (need to be verified first - I'll get around to doing that). Because, I don't think anyone here isn't a fan of Winter Wrap Up and Smile, Smile, Smile, no?

And since boy shows rarely feature songs, even if the show is of low quality, it can't be noted as a problem for them, since within the sample only a low portion of males focused a lot of attention on girl shows rather than transformers/g.i. joes/etc. (Friendship is Magic excluded, of course. But then again, boys and girls experience FIM differently)

Also that poor soul actually went to read topics on 4chan. 

Those threads are far more valuable than most comments on LinkedIn. On LinkedIn people are very agreeable and moderate since they don't want to offend anybody, since in their opinion offending people won't help your career. Since anonymous folk are less constricted, they're far more open and honest about what they think. Interesting note, one anon wanted to petition me to Hasbro to get them to hire me for some reason. No idea why.

hough the example of "Rainbow Dash always dresses in style" is a joke about the old MLP cartoon. Character that is now competitive athlete was girly dress maker in older cartoon from 2000s.

I actually focused on the comment after that. I should remove that piece from the screenshot since its confusing. (Also, I had to watch every single piece from every generation, so yeah, I've seen old rainbow dash in action). 

Note: despite me knowing a lot about MLP, I only spend 10% of my time on MLP (and that was already more than average, since the bronies and little girl audience were my best sample since they are two audience responding different to the same thing). The rest I focused on Transformers, Joes, Thundercats, LPS, Strawberry Shortcake, Barbie, He-Man, Care Bears and so on. 

He really is serious with his research. 

My former professors and now even my employer see potential in my work and encouraged me, so I continue. I hope I can make good use of it for the toy industry. We'll see.

If you have other questions or comments, be sure to ask them. I don't shy away from hard questions.

@Lucas H
First I am honored you took your time to come here and respond to my comment. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

And well regarding cuteness/songs thing I should do myself more research. I do think or at least suspect that around 90s and early 00s came the rise of the cartoons for girls that dropped quality by focusing more on being cute and little else to appeal to the little girls (or because it is less expensive?). For example if we look MLP itself we can see that Gen 1 while was for girls still had other elements besides being cute and then Gen 3 came which was more tame, followed by Gen 3.5 the cutest of them all. Original Carebears too didn't shy from having some scary elements if I remember correctly. But well I would need to watch and rewatch various generations of cartoons. I would like to know though what were the makers thinking when they created She-ra spin off.
Though I am not exactly well informed about this as I am from Serbia so cartoons often came much later than they aired in the west and I certainly never saw toy advertisements.   

Yes 4chan definitely has more honest opinions and bigger population, I just dislike the vulgar culture that has developed there. It does depend which board is visited but I certainly wouldn't like to visit /pol/ for example. And well i suppose that anon wished for you to provide your research to Hasbro so they wouldn't make mistakes that you had pointed out various toy makers make. Hasbro's toy department definitely clashes often with animation and since Hasbro is toy making company that means toy department gets the final say. 

And hey I hope you have success with your research. It certainly won't hurt to shed some light on the toy industry and it's practices. Once again thanks for the response and if I think of a question I'll ask.

On 19-8-2017 at 4:20 PM, Cinder Vel said:

@Lucas H
First I am honored you took your time to come here and respond to my comment. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Hey @Cinder Vel Like I said, I've been using EqD for 6 years for valuable info about what's hot around town. It felt only right to swing by.

And well regarding cuteness/songs thing I should do myself more research. I do think or at least suspect that around 90s and early 00s came the rise of the cartoons for girls that dropped quality by focusing more on being cute and little else to appeal to the little girls (or because it is less expensive?). 

That is exactly what happened at a lot of places during the time, but not all. I think this indeed correlates with those hating ''girly stuff'. For example, one of the worst shows made was Littlest Pet Shop (1995). It was canned quickly, completely forgotten (even by furries who like anthing animal and anthropomorfic) and did nothing to satisfy and inspire any potential customer. The whole show was like waving your keys in front of a child for 20 minutes. It was loud, obnoxious and tried all kinds of weird stuff in fast pace on screen to get a child's attention, except presenting something interesting.

. For example if we look MLP itself we can see that Gen 1 while was for girls still had other elements besides being cute and then Gen 3 came which was more tame, followed by Gen 3.5 the cutest of them all. 

G1 had that adventure appeal to it, a bit D&D style. I actually enjoyed The Return of Tambelon episodes, and consider them the best of all MLP content pre-G4.  G3 was had a clearly defined setting, but more focused on interaction between characters (like tea parties) rather than a plot. That's fine for a very young female audience. G3.5 exists because... I don't know. Also, you forgot to mention MLP & Friends, also known as G1.5 or G2 based on who you ask. That was a show about boys and girls living in a town doing standard boy/girl stuff like school and ice cream bars.  It was all very vanilla and standard for a kids show, except all the kids had pony bodies but often walked upright. It was canned quickly. 

Original Carebears too didn't shy from having some scary elements if I remember correctly.

There was this disney villain in a book, a red shapeshifting demon-thing and Jafar 2.0, those can be seen for some as scary.

Yes 4chan definitely has more honest opinions and bigger population, I just dislike the vulgar culture that has developed there.

I survived your odd pieces on DeviantArt and Derpibooru, so I can survive 8chan too. ;)

It certainly won't hurt to shed some light on the toy industry and it's practices.

It is actually quite interesting. The toy industry mostly believes since the 80's that it is completely random if a show will catch on to sell toys. So when Bronies happened, most of them went really confused over how ''random'' it was. Since I've found the answer, I actually caused controversy since it contradicts what is believed - including how bronies and little girls interact differently with the same content. 

Hey @Lucas H thanks for reaching out to them. I would like to ask you one more thing; can you tell them what you told me about what you think is the possible future of MLP? I think they want to know it.