Leonbrony17

Closet brony or open brony?

Closet brony or open brony?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of brony are you?

• Closet brony
    • Open brony
    • A few people know

If you mean real people knowing that one is a brony, then no, nopony knows it and I'm happy that it stays that way, in my opinion that stuff only concern yourself.

• Like 2

Let's see I live in eastern half of Europe where cartoons and video games by general public are considered immature and I am in my mid twenties. And people here for the most part barely speak English and go outside of social media. Sooooo yeaaaah....I think it is self evident that I keep my internet activities themselves unknown.

• Like 4

I fit into the third option. I try not to let my fandom dominate my personality (as really, there's only one aspect that I really like), but I will also admit that I am a brony to some extent if someone asks me.

• Like 2

I kinda doubt many people actually are zealot fans these days. I mean I use pony avatar on pony sites but my avatar and username depends of where I am. Brony is is simply label on me because I like the show and pony related stuff.

• Like 1

I used to be open about it when I first became a brony back in 2011. Nowadays I just watch the show and oarticipate in the fandom online. I keep it out of my real life.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm quite open about being a Brony. Got a huge merch collection in my room and I'm going to my first con in August. I even wear pony t-shirts all around my college campus and post cute pony pictures on my Facebook.

• Like 2

Recently I said to my mother that I was a Brony and what does it means, she laughed at me. Not badly but... Pretty nervously.

I think my father know it too, but no one of my friends/bro/sis/ know that I'm a fan of MLP. So I'm very closed about that.

Of course I'd never lie about that, but I think people around me are not interested about pony stuffs. A fandom is annoying when you're not in.

• Like 1

My parents know, and a cashier at Walmart knows, because I did buy some merchandise.

• Like 3

Well I don't go around telling people, and I only have one pony shirt I haven't worn in a while, but if it happens to come up in conversation or someone asks, I'll admit to it and not be embarrassed.

I actually met a fellow brony at one of my jobs because I mentioned it.  That gave us something to talk about.

I can't say the public knows but most of the people close to me know.

• Like 2

My parents know, and directly oppose it, so I do my best to hide it from them.

The majority of my IRL friends don't know about it, but my closest ones do, along with some others. My robotics team and part of my youth group know, and thanks to a History of Bronies presentation, word is getting around. I don't actively work to show it, but I don't hide it either. The boldness of Fluttershy is all I need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shadow Dash said:

My parents know, and directly oppose it, so I do my best to hide it from them.

The majority of my IRL friends don't know about it, but my closest ones do, along with some others. My robotics team and part of my youth group know, and thanks to a History of Bronies presentation, word is getting around. I don't actively work to show it, but I don't hide it either. The boldness of Fluttershy is all I need.

Do you know why your parents are against it?

They think the fandom is all clop. Stick around and you'll probably find a rant about it. I have been slowly making progress on them, but they're stubborn.

A few family/friends know and either think it's a little weird or don't care. I try to mind my own business but am not embarrassed of my hobbies if someone asks.

• Like 1

I don't advertise my brony-ism to everybody, but I don't hide it either.

I think I'm "open", as I don't think anyone here screams "I am a brony" everywhere they go.

• Like 1

Both.

I told my mom and that was it.

I had no one else to tell because I don't have any IRL friends anymore. Even if I did... I probably wouldn't tell them for fear of their reaction.

@LostSanity  If you're afraid of a friends reaction it's normally because you don't know them that well or you know how they will react and don't like it.

It's still better to tell them, that way you'll find out if they accept you for who you are.  If not, then congratulations, you now know they're jerks and won't make good friends.  This way you don't waste your time with them and can spend it finding better ones.

I don't really consider myself to be a brony since I collect all of the generations (and am also female), but no I don't hide my love for My Little Pony. My mom was surprised when I first got into it since when I was younger I was more of a tomboy, and played more with my brother's Hot Wheels and whatnot than I did my own dolls, and now through the years I've managed to get a few hundred ponies, and I love showing people my collection when they come over lol. Collecting MLP is one of my biggest passions and I love sharing it with others.

When I'm out in public searching for ponies to buy in stores (or thrift stores for the older gens), I don't try to hide the fact that I want them for myself. Sometimes I'll put on an MLP T-shirt when I go out too. I don't make it super obvious that I love ponies but I'm not going to go out of my way to hide it, that'd be pointless. If other people for some reason think less of me because I'm a 20 year old (almost 21) collecting toys for children, then they simply are not worth my time in the first place.:pinkieshrug:

19 hours ago, gameangel147 said:

@LostSanity  If you're afraid of a friends reaction it's normally because you don't know them that well or you know how they will react and don't like it.

It's still better to tell them, that way you'll find out if they accept you for who you are.  If not, then congratulations, you now know they're jerks and won't make good friends.  This way you don't waste your time with them and can spend it finding better ones.

It doesn't matter anyway because I have no IRL friends to tell.

I'm super open about it in theory, but when it comes to directly expressing my affinity for the small horses, I tend to avoid mentioning it, or steer conversation in another direction if the show comes up in passing. As much as I want to live life as my authentic self, you can't undo someone else's ignorant perception of you as a pedophile, or a mentally-stunted man-child. Once that shit's out, you've got to live with the rumors and the glances and the whispers. My immediate family and my one brony friend know. I'd love to not care, but I do, because reality is compromise and compromise means nobody's happy. The people in your life don't get to see your full nature, and you don't get to run free with your interests in all settings, but nobody's weirded-out, thinks they have to protect their children from anyone, or gets endless shit for an unorthodox interest.

Basically I tell myself I'm open about it, but I chicken out when it comes time to put my bridle where my mouth is.

• Like 1

Right now, I'm partially open about it. I'll only tell people whom I feel I can really trust.

That means only my immediate family members know about it, and I asked them to keep it to themselves. I'd rather they not go blabbing about it to their coworkers or whatever. People tend to get the wrong idea about bronies, and I don't want people thinking I'm a pedophile.

• Like 1

Only my family knows currently but I'm not sure whether to openly share it to friends/others. I wouldn't want to be judged for the negative assumptions of Bronies because it's not all like that for me. I just like a good show that is fun, entertaining and teaches good morals/values. 

• Like 1