Sign in to follow this  
Derpy Man

What's your favorite Landmark(s)?

Does any one have a favorite landmark(s)?

I have many landmarks I like, many in UK and few in other countries, tell few of my favorites are Big Ben and Stonehenge.

My favorite is Hagia Sophia, in Istanbul, Turkey. Used to be a Greek Orthodox church, then a mosque, now a museum.

1024px-Hagia_Sophia_Mars_2013.jpg 

I also really like the ruins of Palmyra, in Syria.

_83137646_83137645.jpg 

And the ruins of Cyrene, an ancient Greek colony in north-eastern Libya.

cyrene_overview.jpg 

Edited by Nile Komnenos
More pics.
  • Like 1

Hum hard to say, I will try not to put landmarks from my country because that would be too easy, but I will give you some that I like, in no particular order.

The English city of Salisbury and its cathedral, the roman ruins of Lectis Magna in Libya (Thanks for reminding it to me @Nile Komnenos )and the Pyrenees mountains (I'm technically cheating, as theiy are not a single monument and half of them is in my country, but I can't resist...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nile Komnenos said:

And the ruins of Cyrene, an ancient Greek colony in north-eastern Libya.

I didn't even considered that those ruins have survived (sort of). The largest Greek city state in Africa, the sole region Greeks colonized except a single colony in Egypt, Naukratis, Definitely would want to check them out.

And um...sorry can't really pick a favorite. Cathedral of Saint Basil in Moscow I guess would have been nice to visit (the thing everyone think is Kremlin). Or the Winter Palace of Petrograd. Maybe Notre-Dame in Paris, though whole Paris has sights to be seen. Colosseum? Ziggurats of Central America? Forbidden City in Beijing? Ayers Rock or Uluru (native) in Australia? Vienna woods though those probably don't count. World really has a lot of awesome things.

15 minutes ago, Cinder Vel said:

I didn't even considered that those ruins have survived (sort of). 

The Arabs left it alone when they conquered Libya, so I imagine that's why it's relatively intact.

14 hours ago, Nile Komnenos said:

The Arabs left it alone when they conquered Libya, so I imagine that's why it's relatively intact.

Usually it is climate that preserves the ruins and North Africa is rather good at that. Also preservation is related to how much the local population would strip the ruins for building material. I don't think invaders really bother destroying ruins like that. And pretty sure Islamic cultures do not approve defiling old ruins which is why archeological discoveries came rather late. 

On hindsight I really should not have been surprised that Cyrene ruins still exist.  

Those ruins are in abundance in Lybia, even with the unstable political climate of the region. They are also very unique compared to other archeological sites in the world, as there are mostly empty. I used to live in Lybia under Gaddafi and it was the best thing in the country, you could do whatever pleased you with the ruins, climb them, take a stone or two, you were free.

• Like 1

Whoa, so many fancy places! I guess I should feel out of place naming the Disneyland castle...but I don't (it's so cool!) :pinkyhappy: