VG_Addict

Flaws the show has.

MLP is a great show, but what flaws would you say it has?

I personally don't like how non-pony races are portrayed. They always have to get the ponies to help them. 

• Like 1

Two flaws I know MLP:FiM has/had are:

1. Enemies being defeated by the newest form of the Elements of Harmony in most of the Season Finale's.

2. Enemies suddenly realizing the error of their ways and becoming reformed after said defeat.

(Starlight Glimmer & Sunset Shimmer spring to mind immediately.)

I know most people won't see these things as flaws but, I'd just like the writers to try something different.

Well, I know what somepony is gonna say! "Oh they're shoving horrid characters down our throat and expecting us to like them". There, now you don't have to post it.

but I do dislike how everything's getting reformed. Each show needs to have a long lasting antagonist, or else it gets bland.

• Like 2

Some episodes are boring, because the theme and plot-line are too predictable.   

• Like 1

The only problem that I have with MLP that is consistent is how bad the cartoon is at dealing with some ideas.

And it's a pet peeve of mine that they have so much trouble dealing with Celestia... I don't really know the proper term for it, but if it was a videogame, I'd say that it is 'ludo-narrative dissonance': it seems there are two Celestias. One is the idea of what the character is supposed to be seen as and the other is how the cartoon consistently portrays her as. And this is connected to that problem I mentioned earlier. DHX doesn't seem to know how to make the princesses likable characters (or whatever they're trying to do) and at the same time make it believable that Celestia (best example) is a very important and powerful, busy leader and ruler. Or really... Twilight's mentor...

Maybe it has something to do with creative restraints or simple lack of interest, but if this got fixed (or at least they attempted to fix this) I'd be more than happy to ignore this problem.

Eh... I don't know if I properly explained the problem I see in the cartoon, and I know that I keep complaining about this, but it really is the only thing that seems consistent and that could be fixed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

1. Enemies being defeated by the newest form of the Elements of Harmony in most of the Season Finale's.

I would rather say that they should stop saving the day with Deus Ex Machina.I mean they only successfully used elements twice and Rainbow Powers thankfully once. Not counting Eq G because that thing has issues.

Anyway for my pick I am going to say villains. I don't think show ever really made a really good villain. I don't really mind reformations since it is a show about friendship and tolerance and the very first two episodes did it. But really doesn't help that despite having new villain all the time they never, for me at least, leave any meaningful impact.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Metemponychosis said:

The only problem that I have with MLP that is consistent is how bad the cartoon is at dealing with some ideas.

What do you mean by this? Are you referring to the way it deals with serious topics? If that's the case, then I partially agree. This show can kind of be a mixed bag in terms of the more mature topics. You can get great episodes out of the more mature MLP like Amending Fences and The Mane Attraction. But, you can also get crappy ones like Flutter Brutter and Appaloosa's Most Wanted. However, I do think that this show is successful more often than not when it comes to dealing with more serious subject matter.

• Like 1

Shoving HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters in our faces and expecting us to like them (NO).

In other words... too much redemption. I'm not saying I have a problem with redemption, it's just most of them were HORRIBLY DONE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LostSanity said:

Shoving HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters in our faces and expecting us to like them (NO).

In other words... too much redemption. I'm not saying I have a problem with redemption, it's just most of them were HORRIBLY DONE.

They were rushed to meet a deadline, plain and simple.  But, to be honest, the show is hit-or-miss in this department.  Nightmare Moon and  Sunset Shimmer are perfect examples of this kind of instant redemption.  They go from defeated villain to Twilight's new best friend in the span of a few moment with no sign of lingering resentment or second thoughts to show for it.  I've got an inkling that Chrysalis is going to be reformed in a similar fashion at some point.  Her situation has become nearly identical to Starlight's so it's almost inevitable.

But, on the opposite side of the coin, I feel like Discord and Trixie were given ample time to "reform".  Mainly because those two haven't really reformed at all (and that's why I like these two).  They're the same jerks they've always been but you see how their attitudes are improving with each new episode they're in.  They're only semi-reformed, still in the learning process.

I do agree that MLP could use a few regular villains in the mix who never truly reform.  Tirek and Sombra were awesome but they're both out of the picture at the moment.  I'd really love to see Grogar revamped for Gen-4 but I doubt he'll end up being more than a clever reference in Twilight's storybook.  

9 hours ago, King Clark said:

What do you mean by this? Are you referring to the way it deals with serious topics? If that's the case, then I partially agree. This show can kind of be a mixed bag in terms of the more mature topics. You can get great episodes out of the more mature MLP like Amending Fences and The Mane Attraction. But, you can also get crappy ones like Flutter Brutter and Appaloosa's Most Wanted. However, I do think that this show is successful more often than not when it comes to dealing with more serious subject matter.

I was talking about the problem with Celestia that I mentioned later.

2 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

I was talking about the problem with Celestia that I mentioned later.

Oh, sorry man. I thought that the point about Celestia and the one about the show dealing with certain ideas were two separate things. My mistake.

I am still sticking by what I said about the show being a mixed bag in regards to serious topics, though.

19 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Oh, sorry man. I thought that the point about Celestia and the one about the show dealing with certain ideas were two separate things. My mistake.

I am still sticking by what I said about the show being a mixed bag in regards to serious topics, though.

You're right, though. I'm just mentioning, the way I see it, an example of that.

Though I think that the problem is complexity, rather than theme.

• Like 1

Way too many villains kissing up and conveniently turning good at the drop of a hat. Not everyone is going to just drop everything and become a goodguy just like that. It should be more of a challenge because that's how it would be in reality. It's not that I want things to be too real, I just want it plausible and believable. Most of the time it isn't. And some people/ponies or whatever just plain won't turn things around. I'd love to see what Twilight and company would do with a villain that was truly stubborn and unwilling to give in. Now that would be a compelling episode (or arc). 

17 hours ago, J. Brony said:

They were rushed to meet a deadline, plain and simple.  But, to be honest, the show is hit-or-miss in this department.  Nightmare Moon and  Sunset Shimmer are perfect examples of this kind of instant redemption.  They go from defeated villain to Twilight's new best friend in the span of a few moment with no sign of lingering resentment or second thoughts to show for it.  I've got an inkling that Chrysalis is going to be reformed in a similar fashion at some point.  Her situation has become nearly identical to Starlight's so it's almost inevitable.

But, on the opposite side of the coin, I feel like Discord and Trixie were given ample time to "reform".  Mainly because those two haven't really reformed at all (and that's why I like these two).  They're the same jerks they've always been but you see how their attitudes are improving with each new episode they're in.  They're only semi-reformed, still in the learning process.

I do agree that MLP could use a few regular villains in the mix who never truly reform.  Tirek and Sombra were awesome but they're both out of the picture at the moment.  I'd really love to see Grogar revamped for Gen-4 but I doubt he'll end up being more than a clever reference in Twilight's storybook.  

Sorry but I'd have to disagree with you on Discord and Trixie.

To me... I wouldn't even put them in that category. I consider them both NOT REDEEMED as well.

Trixie was nothing worse than a braggart (being possessed by the amulet aside), she started hanging out with a nicer crowd and is starting to act better. Discord is turning better due to Fluttershy. Starlight is emotionally damaged, and Sunset made bad choices. All these characters are healing and becoming better due to, get this,

"The Magic of Friendship" not "THE MAGIC OF NOT REDEEMED".

• Like 3

Wasn't there an earlier thread?

On 8/1/2017 at 7:54 PM, Metemponychosis said:

Eh... I don't know if I properly explained the problem I see in the cartoon, and I know that I keep complaining about this, but it really is the only thing that seems consistent and that could be fixed.

That's one of the reasons I was interested in the show. Though now redeeming Celestia is essentially impossible without a reboot, so I've given up. Not helping is that they had many chances to fix this.

Ok, so I know that this post is a few days old now, but in MLP, I have a big problem with Celestia. The first few seasons gave us the idea the Celestia was some sort of all powerful and benevolent ruler and she was properly portrayed in this way. She seemed somewhat similar to a character like Dumbledore from Harry Potter, extremely powerful and important, yet humble and respected. After about season 3, however, that aspect somewhat diminished through different events that led us to believe that she is not really what we initially thought her to be. She has been defeated by villains one too many times, and Twilight has proven herself to be a lot more powerful than her time and time again. The introduction of more Alicorns has given us the impression that Alicorns are not as rare as they are supposed to be which also makes us feel that Celestia is nothing special. With episodes like 'A Royal Problem' Celestia seems to be more of a whiny little girl than a thousand year old Alicorn princess that defeated Discord and Nightmare moon. 

I don't really know if I have explained it properly, but these days, Celestia lacks the wonder and mystery that she had at the start of the series.

• Like 2

Another problem I have with the show, is the fact that a lot of the episodes are pathetically predictable. I know this is a cartoon aimed at young kids but with a lot of episodes I seem to be able to predict the outcome of them very accurately. I do enjoy the show nonetheless and, of course, this does not hold true for all episodes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LostSanity said:

How about...

"The Magic of not being assholes"

:newspaper:

Well, see, that's why I like Trixie and Discord.  To me they represent the fact that you can be an asshole and still have friends and be one of the "good guys" when the need arises.

Anyway, back on subject...

I have to agree that Celestia has been portrayed as being weaker than she should be.  Her arrival on the scene should be treated as a rare deus-ex-machina solution to a problem.  She shouldn't be the cause of the problem itself, what with all of her foal-napping and losing to the bad guy-of-the-season.  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 4:01 PM, J. Brony said:

Well, see, that's why I like Trixie and Discord.  To me they represent the fact that you can be an asshole and still have friends and be one of the "good guys" when the need arises.

Which is why I hate them.