PinkiePie97

Equestria Girls YouTube Series

As long as it's well done I'm not opposed to the idea.  Hopefully this new series will revolve around the girls tracking down the Equestrian magic seeping through the damaged portal and not end up being just a bunch of random shorts.

• Like 2

I actually have high hopes for this youtube project. This platform is way more directed toward 15 to 30 y.o than towards little kids, so they could do some interesting and funny stuff on there... We'll wait and see I guess.

3 hours ago, sagami said:

I actually have high hopes for this youtube project. This platform is way more directed toward 15 to 30 y.o than towards little kids, so they could do some interesting and funny stuff on there... We'll wait and see I guess.

There's also YouTube Kids, where this will probably be seen as well. It's probably still going to have the same content as it would if it was on Discovery Family. Hanazuki is also on YouTube and content wise, I don't think it would be different than it is if it was on Discovery Family.

As an old-school collector I'm curious, as usual, if a web series of this nature would be ported over to DVDs at some point.  Knowing the nature of the beast that is Hasbro I'd have to venture a "yes" but web content like this is uncharted waters for me.

Can anyone confirm/deny whether webisode series like the one proposed here eventually get released to DVD?

So apparently it's a Choose Your Own Adventure series.  Hasbro has already released one based on Rescue Bots so I can see how this would work.  Not quite sure how I feel about it just yet though.  

On 9/20/2017 at 7:07 PM, J. Brony said:

So apparently it's a Choose Your Own Adventure series.  Hasbro has already released one based on Rescue Bots so I can see how this would work.  Not quite sure how I feel about it just yet though.  

The picture in the post I linked says 2018. The Choose Your Own Adventure series is coming in November, so I don't think that's it.

We were actually discussing this in the comments section last night.  The latest theory is that the clips from Overpowered and this one might actually be from the 2018 YouTube series.  

On 8/4/2017 at 7:06 PM, J. Brony said:

As long as it's well done I'm not opposed to the idea.  Hopefully this new series will revolve around the girls tracking down the Equestrian magic seeping through the damaged portal and not end up being just a bunch of random shorts.

Same sentiment here. I think it'll be similar to the show being a mix of slice of life and adventure. Similar to the shorts they released on DVD not too long ago like Dance Magic and Movie Magic and such. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. The other shorts they've released I've been very meh towards. They don't give me enough to go off of so I don't like or dislike them. Just meh towards them.

Here I give my Thoughts on it debuting next month and what Hasbro's/DHX Media's Ultimate Goal for it is.
Comments are Welcomed

14 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I guess it started yesterday on the Discovery Family GO app.

DNqTeH4WAAAE8lF.jpg

Yeah, I watched them all last night. They're okay. Not terrible, but they don't really make any lasting impact because they're so short. Personally, I would've preferred something similar to the specials they had earlier in the year. Maybe the later ones will change things up a bit enough to make them worth the watch, but for now, they're meh.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2017 at 6:08 AM, PinkiePie97 said:

I guess it started yesterday on the Discovery Family GO app.

DNqTeH4WAAAE8lF.jpg

Surprise, surprise, "Pinkie Sitting" was my favorite. But they were all fine, I suppose.

Certainly a fine watch to tide you over until the next ones come out.

Ok, not gonna lie, that genuinely got me. :ajlol:

FGBxlA8.jpg

But I'm curious if there's a possibility that they'll show this "Maud Squad" somewhere in Equestria next season.

The Dazzlings did cameo in the S7 finale, after all. I feel I'd enjoy a "Maud Squad" episode.

I also hope we'll see a filly Lily somewhere because of that adorable voice please don't take that out of context.

I'm really confused by the placements of these. Legend of Everfree took place in summer, but in Dance Magic, the ShadowBolts mentioned a Spring Break and now they mention final exams. When do these take place?

35 minutes ago, InfiniteDays said:

I'm really confused by the placements of these. Legend of Everfree took place in summer, but in Dance Magic, the ShadowBolts mentioned a Spring Break and now they mention final exams. When do these take place?

It's probably similar to the show. The episodes don't have a real timeline besides Before Twilacorn and After Twilacorn (with the exception of the premieres and finales, and even then). Hasbro should make that official: B.T. and A.T.

This recent batch of shorts were entertaining enough, but they were no "Pinkie Sitting", I'll tell ya that much.

Though I'd say they're worth the watch if you're needing some more EG in your life.

However, the following are my main takeaways and a short rant, so get ready for some of that sweet, sweet emphasis usage.

Oh, and spoilers:

I love how Sunset Shimmer apparently moonlights as some revered, yet completely anonymous graffiti artist for no real reason (unless I missed the explanation somewhere). How long has she been at that exactly? And why?

Also, does anyone else continue to feel the cringe from Sci-Twi's and Timber's relationship? Then again, I suppose that's just most high school relationships, isn't it?

Also, Trixie was at it again with her antics for a few precious moments and I was all in for it. Come at me.

P5rRE7R.gif

Or don't. Up to you.

Also, Applejack would make the worst superhero...

Applejack, did you forget? You have SUPER STRENGTH! YOU'VE LIFTED BOULDERS. YOU LITERALLY TORE THE DOOR OFF YOUR LOCKER IN "OVERPOWERED". How can you not force open a locked door at this point?!

RwxM2Pw.jpg

NO, NO, NO, APPLEJACK! You do not throw innocent civilians to catch a criminal! And what would've happened if you did hit him, huh?! THAT WOULD BE ON YOUR CONSCIENCE!

II35ssN.jpg

But I reckon that's about it.

Too sleepy to continue revising this post, so... /rant. 

I've seen everything up to this point and my opinion remains the same. The shorts are meh because they are too short to make any real impact, good or bad, and that frustrates me. When I originally heard that the shorts were going to be of varying length, I was under the impression that "varying" meant anywhere from 2-5 minutes or so, but thus far they've consistently been under 3 minutes long even when the premise for the short could've carried an entire 22 minute episode if done well enough. I understand that the staff doesn't have enough to make a full-fledged show set in EQG because of how the stories would too often be rehashes of the same stories we've gotten in MLP over the last 7 seasons of the show, but there's still things that could be done to make it have a more lasting impact than any of the shorts have had at this point (at least to me personally). Overpowered is the best example that I can think of where the premise had enough to hold an entire episode (or at least be longer than 2 freaking minutes) and it ended up being the same 3 minute length, making it feel really rushed. That said, I think EQG would've been better off sticking to just movies and specials (like the three we got a couple months ago) because at least all of those had enough of a lasting impact to say whether they were truly good or bad.

At this point, I'll probably keep watching them anyway just because they're free, easy to access, and it can serve as something to keep me occupied while waiting for Season 8, but I wish that they would do more with it.

Speaking as someone who has not been very satisfied with most recent Equestria Girls content (Legend of Everfree, "Dance Magic," and "Mirror Magic" bored me, and while the Summertime Shorts were at times fun, they didn't feel very substantial), these were a real breath of fresh air. The Summertime Shorts were already a step in the right direction, with much more consistent charm and humour than most of what we've had since Friendship Games, but these actually have a level of creativity and substance to them which this series really hasn't had in a long time. 

I didn't love all of them, but I feel like they continue the Summertime Shorts' trend of expanding upon the world with charm and humour, and they even feel a bit less thin than most of those summer shorts did. Maybe I just find these refreshing after season 7 disappointed me so much, or maybe my standards were lowered after the godawful "Magic" specials and all the outsourced nonsense, but this is a solid foundation. 3 minutes is a bit short, but these use time more efficiently than anything My Little Pony has in years. And hey, I'm glad we got to see Zephyr again. 

Maybe next we can get stuff which is long enough to build on the characters' flaws and ambitions. But for now, these are fairly satisfying for just giving me more of what I actually care about from this series. These are genuinely entertaining. 

Anyway, favourites so far:

"School of Rock" (Maud is the best)

"The Finals Countdown" / "My Little Shop of Horrors" (as always, the songs are great)

"Display of Affection" (almost like a strong miniature episode of the show, plus Sunset Banksy)

"A Little Birdie Told Me" (Badass Fluttershy might just be Best Fluttershy)

"Super Squad Goals" (Perfect length for a lightweight comics homage. Plus, comic artist Sunset is brilliant.)

Also, does the theme song go "You are my Equestria Girls"? That doesn't make much sense.

It currently seems that they removed the "Best Trends Forever" episode from the Choose Your Own Ending set of videos on YouTube.

But they posted new episodes of the series on the Discovery Family GO! app a few days ago, in case anyone missed the news like me.

Fair warning: they're a bit unorganized on the app so it might be a hassle to navigate through all of them, but I suppose there's also the wiki if you really need it.

Just a friendly heads up.

37 minutes ago, PeeWeePhoenix said:

I like them

Same, if you mean the Choose Your Own Ending series.

It's nothing deep that progresses anything but I like that they're trying something different with EG.

They also added four more episodes to the series on their app today.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:30 AM, Vinny Schway said:

Fair warning: they're a bit unorganized on the app so it might be a hassle to navigate through all of them, but I suppose there's also the wiki if you really need it.

And I also just figured out the episodes are already sorted by a dropdown menu.

I never claimed to be tech savvy, ok??

giphy.gif