PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 14: Fame and Misfortune

52 posts in this topic

Title: Fame and Misfortune

Synopsis: Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.

Airs: Today at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family

2 people like this

50/50.

On the one hand, the Mane 7 were all great.

On the other hand, the rest of the town (excluding the foals) were unlikable flankholes and Karma Houdinis.

2 people like this

I liked this episode. I quite enjoyed seeing the show poke fun at stuff I've seen from fans quite a bit. I thought the song was nice (even if everyone missed the point), and I do like that they at least got through to Toola Roola and Coconut Cream.

4 people like this

Honestly, I felt like this is like the anti slice of life in terms of fandom approach here. Instead of celebrating alot of the views the fandom loves and making it canon, this one felt like it was referencing them to poke fun of how silly and obsessive alot of the negative views in the fandom are. This is a big time meta episode and I love it. You also have to remember that alot of the ponies that were in Ponyville came from other places and haven't met them so this is just fans being obsessive to the point of being assholes, a clear point towards the more negative side of the fandom. I love it for that.

8 people like this

As soon as the song started, I immediately thought of "Battle!" from Rainbow Rocks. I had to realize it was the Mane Six singing, and not the Dazzlings.

Also, Larson strikes again with his meta humor aimed directly at the fandom, this time in a more "Guys, chill for a bit" light. My roommates and I were laughing it up watching this episode.

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Honestly, I felt like this is like the anti slice of life in terms of fandom approach here. Instead of celebrating alot of the views the fandom loves and making it canon, this one felt like it was referencing them to poke fun of how silly and obsessive alot of the negative views in the fandom are. This is a big time meta episode and I love it. You also have to remember that alot of the ponies that were in Ponyville came from other places and haven't met them so this is just fans being obsessive to the point of being assholes, a clear point towards the more negative side of the fandom. I love it for that.

Problem is, said Ponies went too far by constantly harassing the freaking Princess Of Friendship and her closest circle, not merely fictional characters (for them, at least).

The whole time, I was waiting for Starlight to just wipe all their Journal-related memories so they'd finally go away.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Anti-Villain said:

Problem is, said Ponies went too far by constantly harassing one of the Princesses along with the world's biggest heroes, not merely fictional characters (for them, at least).

The whole time, I was waiting for Starlight to just wipe their memories so they'd finally go away.

I hear ya, but I think that was the point. This episode was meant to be a meta commentary on the negative side of the fandom's views on the show and characters I feel. Honestly I'm happy they didn't resolved that as for me it's better that way than to magic ex machina their way out. 

5 people like this

It`s look like allusion on brony fandom ("<ponyname> is the best pony!!!1).

3 people like this

T'was a fantastic episode.

And it reminds me that people in this fandom take shit too fucking seriously.

6 people like this

I loved the joke about Fluttershy always learning the same lesson over & over. :P

Also, how dare those two ponies make Rarity cry! That was my least favorite part of the episode bar none! :angrytwi:

5 people like this

5 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Also, how dare those two ponies make Rarity cry! That was my least favorite part of the episode bar none! :angrytwi:

Yeah screw those guys, I really wanted to drop kick my screen seeing that :P

4 people like this

It also made me sad that nopony cared about Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Lesson's. :fluttersmith:

3 people like this

Oh goodness, the townsponies in this episode were like Quibble Pants if he did nothing but complain about everything. XD I suspect this'll be the kind of episode that'll receive a ton of hate, but I for one feel it was a very accurate portrayal of the most negative fans. Even if Larson wasn't directly involved, it still felt like it had his fingerprints on it. The joke about Fluttershy learning the same lesson over and over got a good hearty laugh out of me, as did the rest of the complaints. I love these meta kinds of episodes. XD It also satisfied my need for bringing the journal back so I'm very happy about that. :D Bravo, Larson, another one out of the park! ;)

3 people like this

Loved this episode, you could cut and paste those 'fandom ponies' to certain characters here. Poor Rarity though, I've always loved her and could read between the lines with her drama queen act.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, RK_Striker_JK_5 said:

I felt this one was a bit too meta for me, and quite honestly, a bit too insulting.

If the horseshoe fits..

I think if they would have deux ex machina'd their way out of the situation, then it would have been insulting and harsh, but they didn't.  Starlight getting those two little fillies who had learned something and who we had somewhat of an investment in was the better plan.  It shows that no matter how much negativity is thrown out, there are still fans who get what you were trying to show.  That doesn't mean that negativity shouldn't happen because criticism is important to making a better show, but that the ponies out there had no boundaries and seemed to forget that in that universe, the book was about real ponies, not fictional ones.  Criticism can feel louder than praise sometimes and the show showed that.  I think it's going to be dependent on every pony of how they thought about this, but if you're giving your critique in a calm and rational manner, then the episode wasn't about you.  It was about ponies who are harsh with what they say and loud about it without taking boundaries and tact into their thoughts. 

I loved the song.  I found the images with it simply adorable.  Rarity's stress-sewing was absolutely relatable for me and I loved Starlight Glimmer's backing all of the other ponies up without it being a story about her.  She was just willing to go to bat for all of them and I loved that.  So yeah, I liked it.

3 people like this

8 hours ago, Nuke87654 said:

I hear ya, but I think that was the point. This episode was meant to be a meta commentary on the negative side of the fandom's views on the show and characters I feel. Honestly I'm happy they didn't resolved that as for me it's better that way than to magic ex machina their way out. 

Actually, I wasn't bothered by the meta intent; I was bothered by the similarities between this and the Simpsons episode "The Boys Of Bummer."

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Anti-Villain said:

Actually, I wasn't bothered by the meta intent; I was bothered by the similarities between this and the Simpsons episode "Boys Of Bummer."

Understood, now what's boys of bummer?

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Understood, now what's boys of bummer?

It's an atrocious Simpsons episode that is considered by many to be the worst of the show.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, King Clark said:

It's an atrocious Simpsons episode that is considered by many to be the worst of the show.

Now I see. Seeing, the similarities aren't there as sure this episode is cynical, but that's because cynicism is a big departure from the show's usual sincerity here. Other than that, it's a big difference between telling someone to kill themselves for screwing a baseball game and one that's essentially commentating on the negative sides of the fandom. @Anti-Villain

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Now I see. Seeing, the similarities aren't there as sure this episode is cynical, but that's because cynicism is a big departure from the show's usual sincerity here. Other than that, it's a big difference between telling someone to kill themselves for screwing a baseball game and one that's essentially commentating on the negative sides of the fandom. 

Remember, I didn't say that Boys of Bummer was the same as FaM. I completely agree with you here. Those are two completely different episodes.

1 person likes this

Those are very different situations.  This was about being too positive and too negative about aspects of something you enjoy as a fan.  The Simpsons episode was about going overboard with children's sports.  (The latter was not a good representation of that, but still.)  Yes, some of the ponies were hating on Fluttershy and Rarity, but then you had the ponies that were going too far in the other direction with Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie.  Plus, no pony was trying to get the main six to kill themselves.

2 people like this