PinkiePie97

Season 7, Episode 14: Fame and Misfortune

16 minutes ago, Nuke87654 said:

Now I see. Seeing, the similarities aren't there as sure this episode is cynical, but that's because cynicism is a big departure from the show's usual sincerity here. Other than that, it's a big difference between telling someone to kill themselves for screwing a baseball game and one that's essentially commentating on the negative sides of the fandom. @Anti-Villain

But the "fandom" Ponies still crossed the line via things like harassment, stalking, and trespassing -- essentially a G-rated version of what Springfield did to Bart in that episode.

That's what I'm getting at, regardless of who they were based on.

P.S.: Slice Of Life and Stranger Than Fan Fiction did the whole "meta" thing much better, IMO.

• Like 2

Half a minute in...

Hey! That is a princess doing her job! See DHX?? You did it! Now do that with Celestia! It's not that hard. You can do this!

Also, Rarity has the best freak outs.

Now, onto the episode itself... The problem with it is that ponies are stupid and don't understand that the lessons aren't fiction, the characters in it aren't fictional and the stories they're part in aren't carefully created, plot point after another, before they're presented. With that said, if this episode was an image in a Rorschach test, I'd say it looks like creators unhappy that people find things to dislike in their work. Because, not only the fandom is a very heterogeneous group with different opinions good and bad, and, if that was the intention from the producers, that would be very childish. And incredibly arrogant by the end. Particularly considering the difference between the nature of the work within the episode and the production of the cartoon. I'll ignore that notion from now on, because I don't think it was the intention.

Maybe it's because I watched this episode right after watching Discordant Harmony and Perfect Pear, but it was really hit and miss. I don't dislike it, but I don't particularly like it either. I think it is better as a counter example on how to deal with criticism but I can't even say that because those weren't fictional stories. Ponies are just idiots. And I certainly had a lot of fun watching the whole mess unfold.

In the end, not one of the best, but not one of the worst either.

Now I'm going to Derpibooru to see all the image macros people are going to make comparing ponies with the fandom and deifying the producers. And vice versa.

• Like 3

First off, I'm not concerned if I liked the episode or not. Either way, it won't compel me to stir up drama. I'm no critic, I just enjoy the ride.

After re-watching it twice, I see some potential continuity with the likes of Toola Roola and Coconut Cream reappearing later. I really hope the whole everypony is a jerk shtick is toned down the next episode, who does care for what the majority of the populace have to say? Let's focus on the characters, not the background ponies as a whole entity. The background ponies making the loudest fuss, does not follow well for next episode. So surely this episode was a self referential jab and nothing more after. When the Friendship Journal was distributed across Equestria, I knew this had Larson's handiwork all over it. A non-sequitor at best. 

I will enjoy the reception of memes and such on Derpibooru though, always quality entertainment images, macros, gifs, etc.

• Like 1

This is yet another instance where it may be better not to read what's in the spoilers.

Regardless it's your own choice. I don't want to hear complaints if you do.

LEGITIMATE VIEWER DISCRETION WARNING. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I don't really have much to say about this one. I really can't say anything.

Despite the fact that the NOT REDEEMED character was in it, it wasn't exactly about said character. So it really didn't make me hate the episode due to that.

One thing is pretty blatantly obvious here though.

This was a CLEAR shot at the fandom. For all of their petty ridiculous arguments. Particularly concerning who's 'best pony' 'Alicorn Twilight' etc.

But I have a slight problem with their SHOTS FIRED approach when it comes to this and them doing this in this episode.

Do they really think this is going to resolve anything? Do they really think this is going to stop it? BECAUSE IT'S NOT. I don't know if that's what they were hoping to accomplish with this but if it was... THEY'RE STUPIDER THAN I THOUGHT THEY WERE. :berrywut:

THIS WILL DO NOTHING. THIS WILL STOP NOTHING. This 'fandom' will continue their petty ridiculous arguments NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. If they thought something like this would stop it... THEY ARE HORRIBLY, SADLY, AND STUPIDLY MISTAKEN. :doublefacehoof:

Plus... here's the thing...

They're bitching about the fans bitching... yet... they shove BS redemption down our throats. That's flat out hypocrisy. No ifs, ands. or buts about it. :newspaper:

So they use an episode to bitch about the bitching, but continue shoving BS redemption and HORRID NOT REDEEMED characters down our throats. Do these writers the show is getting even know what the hell they are doing anymore? Do they have any god damn common sense? Because it seems like they don't if they're going to practically confirm their hypocrites by using an episode to bitch about the bitching yet shove BS down our throats.

Sorry. To me it just seems hypocritical.

I liked the song though. That's about the only thing I legitimately liked in this episode.

Overall... not great, but not horrible. Plus they confirmed their hypocrites.

Current Status:

Stay: 90%
Leave: 10%

No change. There was no reason to increase or decrease it. But at least their admitting that their hypocrites. :newspaper:

On 8/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

It also made me sad that nopony cared about Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Lesson's. :fluttersmith:

Don't get us started on that anti-twilicorn pony :derp:

• Like 4

On 8/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, King Clark said:

It's an atrocious Simpsons episode that is considered by many to be the worst of the show.

Is it the one where Bart loses the little league game?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, King Clark said:

Ya, and then the town shuns him. 

Yeah, I figured.

6 minutes ago, Light Blade said:

Don't get us started on that anti-twilicorn pony :derp:

Boo to the anti-Twilicorn pony & the snobby ponies who made Rarity cry!  :o (Imagine this emoji is booing.)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Boo to the anti-Twilicorn pony

Personally, I've always been neutral to it.

Then again, I didn't actually start watching until 2013, but still...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anti-Villain said:

I like Twilight Sparkle in all of her forms both pony & human so, I'm nuteral, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

the snobby ponies who made Rarity cry!  :o (Imagine this emoji is booing.)

In that case, :o indeed!

Come to think of it, I'm surprised Fluttershy being practically ambushed didn't warrant a... less-trollish, more-OMGWTFBBQ... visit from certain Draconequus:

Then again, maybe he was still recovering from nearly Hakai-ing himself recently.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 9:06 PM, Anti-Villain said:

P.S.: Slice Of Life and Stranger Than Fan Fiction did the whole "meta" thing much better, IMO.

Can easily say that this is the worst meta episode of the show. Each time they plug in a reference, it falls flat on its face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anti-Villain said:

In that case, :o indeed!

Come to think of it, I'm surprised Fluttershy being practically ambushed didn't warrant a... less-trollish, more-OMGWTFBBQ... visit from certain Draconequus:

Then again, maybe he was still recovering from nearly Hakai-ing himself recently.

Maybe Discord was a guest at "Dracqone-Con" and couldn't make it. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anti-Villain said:

I came in after season 4 ended, so the whole drama surrounding allicorn Twilight was in the past and none of my concern 

• Like 2

You know what I just realized?

I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to ATTACK THE FANDOM THAT CREATED THIS SHOW'S POPULARITY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I can't see any good coming out of that. There will likely be repercussions.

But then again... these show runners are hypocrites... so...

:newspaper:

I don't see any repercussions coming, at least not immediately. Now, if the writers keep attacking the fandom for arbitrary reasons and in as stupid a way as possible, yeah, it will be only a matter of time before the fanbase's patience runs out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

I don't see any repercussions coming, at least not immediately. Now, if the writers keep attacking the fandom for arbitrary reasons and in as stupid a way as possible, yeah, it will be only a matter of time before the fanbase's patience runs out.

There aren't any coming. The fandom loves this sort of thing. Most of the fandom just likes the cartoon and as soon as someone complains about something they become "the hater". Most of the people, I'm willing to bet, agree with all the "criticisms to the fandom" in the episode.

Also, if anyone is to take the attacks against the fandom as serious, anything more than playful jabs, then one must also see the episode as an attack against the writers of the show because the Mane Six took the whole situation in the worst way possible.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

There aren't any coming. The fandom loves this sort of thing. Most of the fandom just likes the cartoon and as soon as someone complains about something they become "the hater". Most of the people, I'm willing to bet, agree with all the "criticisms to the fandom" in the episode.

Also, if anyone is to take the attacks against the fandom as serious, anything more than playful jabs, then one must also see the episode as an attack against the writers of the show because the Mane Six took the whole situation in the worst way possible.

Hey, I said if. :awesomecheer:

In all seriousness, despite my dislike (and admittedly salty behavior), I mentioned in Dark Quivit's review that this is likely a one time thing and will blow over by the next episode.

26 minutes ago, WaterPulse said:

Hey, I said if. :awesomecheer:

In all seriousness, despite my dislike (and admittedly salty behavior), I mentioned in Dark Quivit's review that this is likely a one time thing and will blow over by the next episode.

Eh. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

But yes. This is most likely be gone, not only next episode, but forever.

That didn't bother me too much. It just that the whole thing made the episode leave a sour aftertaste that was completely unnecessary. Just unpleasant.

• Like 1

Not all the fandom are red eyed fanatics and someone who writes 1000 pages of fanfic isn't 'better' than a fan that just enjoys the show casually, or a child that watches while hugging their stuffed Fluttershy. If someone identifies themselves with the nerd rage ponies, maybe it's time to stop waving the torches and pitchforks and look in a mirror.

• Like 5