ChibiDashie

Books! Books! And More Books!

I think something like this appeared a long time ago, but I think it's for favorite books that you read before. But there should have been on what you're currently reading or want to read one day! :awesomecheer:

So what are you reading? What do you want to read? 

In recent times, I have read The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. Now I'm on The Two Towers and it's time to embrace the feels and I really need to get onto Return of the King once I finish the Two Towers. Also it's not like I have a crush on elf husbando Legolas even to the point I had a dream of a Legolas Dating Simulator 2017 uuuuu

• Like 2

At the moment I'm reading Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation and Al Franken's The Truth: With Jokes. Later I got a biography of Nikolai Tesla lined up.

For shits and giggles, here some samples of Sarah Vowell's writing as read by the author:

And from Assassination Vacation with student animation:

Recently I'm just doing some reading on history, since that's my field of interest.

Currently reading "Constantinople: The Last Great Siege, 1453" by Roger Crowley. Goes into detail about the city and how it plays into the Ottoman Sultan's dream to conquer it, dating back to Muhammad's time. Also gives a great amount of detail on the siege itself.

• Like 2

I mostly read nonfiction, specifically history, gardening, and practical materials such as anything pertaining to livestock.

In regard to novels, I've read pretty much all Tolkien except Return of the King. Another good book I read recently was The Glorious Path, by Seth Cooper (like fantasy but with a philosophical bent). Also planning on trying the Horus Heresy series even though I've never played Warhammer in my life so I'm not sure what my expectations should be.

19 minutes ago, Nile Komnenos said:

Recently I'm just doing some reading on history, since that's my field of interest.

Currently reading "Constantinople: The Last Great Siege, 1453" by Roger Crowley. Goes into detail about the city and how it plays into the Ottoman Sultan's dream to conquer it, dating back to Muhammad's time. Also gives a great amount of detail on the siege itself.

If you're into history maybe look up Lars Brownworth if you're not familiar with his stuff. His book on the Viking Age is especially outstanding.

1 hour ago, Agilaz said:

If you're into history maybe look up Lars Brownworth if you're not familiar with his stuff. His book on the Viking Age is especially outstanding.

I am familiar with Lars Brownworth. He did a decent podcast (12 Byzantine Rulers), and I own his book "Lost to the West". 

• Like 1

Anything with lots of pictures. 

Actually I read The Hobbit (loved it) and I want to read the LOTR books. The Chronicles of Narnia sound interesting too. I like series that can take me away from reality for long stretches at a time. 

13 hours ago, SunGuppy said:

Anything with lots of pictures. 

Actually I read The Hobbit (loved it) and I want to read the LOTR books. The Chronicles of Narnia sound interesting too. I like series that can take me away from reality for long stretches at a time. 

The LOTR books are pretty good so far! I do remember reading The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe in middle school, and thinking of it, I noticed how the book was pretty similar to Tolkien's work. No big surprise that the two authors were best friends in real life! :approve:

• Like 1

I used have a yearly tradition of reading The Hobbit in the autumn, and follow up with the entire LotR trilogy into the winter holidays. For some reason I always associate those books with that part of the year.

I've got a backlog of books to work through! Physical stuff to be consumed includes Ronald Numbers' exhaustive, early-90s monograph The Creationists, which I've been meaning to get around to for a while. Back in the day, I read professor Robert T. Pennock's treatise on Intelligent Design Creationism, which pre-dated and pre-saged the Kitzmiller trial that ultimately knocked the wind out of ID Creationism's sails a few years later. It'll be interesting to see what the precursor to Pennock's work documenting and describing Creationism was like in the years before even Talk.Origins was a thing.

Also have to get around to cracking these dead-tree collections open: Art of Equestria and The Journal of the Two Sisters.

I have two pending pre-orders! The first is Soonish by Zach Weinersmith (yeah, really!) of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal infame. Also waiting on The Storm Before the Storm by Mike Duncan, aka "The History of Rome Guy." Both of these should be landing in my snailmail by late October.

Currently I'm not "really" reading anything. That is, I haven't picked out a single thing to sit down and go through cover-to-cover. I've breezed through a few themed Lego gallery books and some Make collections from previous Humble Book Bundles, and I've started on The Secret History of Marvel Comics but that is honestly a bit of a slog, at least for the beginning where I'm at. There's also a classic collection of spooky short stories on my nightstand that sees occasional attention.

Slowly picking my way through a re-reading of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. It's kind of my "got a minute to kill" reader right now, so I just pick it up and random times and dive into a section or two. Very infrequently I'll sit down and wade into The Elements of Harmony. It's fun to see what Hasbro was creating for fans back in the ancient days of 2013!

Not doing anything on the graphic novel front at the moment. Open to recommendations!

For periodicals, my fall issue of American Currents should be here, um... come fall, I guess!

Also, I'm writing my own novel! I can't say much, don't want to spoil it. But it revolves around this intelligent and super athletic guy named AStonyAccount and his quest for macho, mag-fed vengeance against the unambiguously evil, ambiguously foreign bad men who put his wife in a refrigerator and kidnapped his daughter. So far it's kind of teetering under its own weight. I might have to split it up into 10 books. It's gonna be so great, though!

8 hours ago, ABronyAccount said:

I have two pending pre-orders! ... Also waiting on The Storm Before the Storm by Mike Duncan, 

Speaking of books to read, I was thinking about ordering this book too. Friend of mine said I should get it and I've been meditating on it since this weekend more-or-less.

I hated The Great Gatsby above all other high school reading assignments, but recently I found it at a Goodwill and wanted to remember why I loathed it so much, so I bought it and it's actually pretty good! Turns out Teenage Me wasn't big on slogging through long descriptions or reading between the lines. Maybe school ought to prioritize getting kids interested in reading instead of dumping "the classics" on their heads while their brains are still developing? Just a thought. Also reading M. A. Larson's Pennyroyal Academy (thanks for the heads up, @ABronyAccount) and the final volume of the Lucifer series.

7 hours ago, Friendship is Horses said:

I hated The Great Gatsby above all other high school reading assignments, but recently I found it at a Goodwill and wanted to remember why I loathed it so much, so I bought it and it's actually pretty good! Turns out Teenage Me wasn't big on slogging through long descriptions or reading between the lines. Maybe school ought to prioritize getting kids interested in reading instead of dumping "the classics" on their heads while their brains are still developing? Just a thought. Also reading M. A. Larson's Pennyroyal Academy (thanks for the heads up, @ABronyAccount) and the final volume of the Lucifer series.

I had this same experience with Great Gatsby recently as well. I was feeling a bit nostalgic and willing to go back to revise my oppinion of the book, so I found it in audio book format so I could listen to it while I work.

Turns out, my thoughts also turned a 180.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2017 at 2:07 PM, Friendship is Horses said:

In school, literature is forced down our throats, despite it being something that is based on opinion. It is often over analysed to the point where all meaning or impact is thrown to the winds. I believe that is why many people frown upon educational reading assignments. Funnily enough, my favourite book of all time is 'Of Mice and Men', despite me studying it at school.

The story does not patronise its readers, but gives us a true, and raw insight to what it would be like to blue collar workers during the depression of the 1930s. It is not sappy or cliche, doesn't have a happy ending and leaves most readers in tears when it is finished. The book is only short, but invokes so much emotion within the reader, leaving them either totally disgusted, or their face wet with tears. One could argue that the writing is simple, or primitive, often lacking in complex vocabulary. But anything that has that much impact on the reader is objectively good. 'Of Mice and Men' is true literature, in its raw, and most original form.

God, I feel like i'm back at school. 

Personally, Of Mice and Men, and Bless Me, Ultima were amazing as well. 

BMU is a story rife with symbolism, superstition, and a character I could relate to in a way that I never felt to many other characters. I felt like I was basking in my parents' culture, in my family's traditions. I read it to the end and then fervently looked for the movie to watch it. It always has a special place in my heart.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, ABronyAccount said:

Currently I'm not "really" reading anything. That is, I haven't picked out a single thing to sit down and go through cover-to-cover.

[...]

Not doing anything on the graphic novel f ront at the moment.

Fixing these two at the same time.

IDW's having another G.I. Joe/Transformers sale via The Humble Bundle so I'm blowing right through the curated The Transformers: The IDW Collection volumes 1-8. Basically, each book is picking story arcs and one-off character spotlight issues to summarize the IDW Transformers universe. So far I'm liking it! Never been much of a TF fan outside of G1 back in the day and Beast Wars in the late 90s, so I've missed out on pretty much all the fiction in the last 20-ish years. I think IDW's got a compelling version of the G1 Universe going on.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:57 AM, AaronMk said:

Speaking of books to read, I was thinking about ordering this book too. Friend of mine said I should get it and I've been meditating on it since this weekend more-or-less.

Since I've already listened through the entire History of Rome podcast, plus Dan Carlin's Hardcore History miniseries dedicated to the fall of the Republic and rise of the Empire, I pretty much already know the history going on in the book. But I never did get a chance to go on any HoR vacations and none of the stuff in the HoR/Revolutions gift shop really interests me, so this purchase was an easy way to support one of my favorite podcasters. Plus my physical bookshelf could always use more history books!

Right now I'm hopping into the political/economic side of reading. Gonna be sitting down and reading some Marxist works (Communist Manifesto, Das Kapital) for a better understanding of the subject.

• Like 2

I was reading a biography of cod and its impact on history, but I had to return it to the library because someone else wanted to read it. Now I'm reading general reader on Marx for brush up purposes.

• Like 1

ive been reading

1. down the witches way
  2. green magic the healing power of herbs stones and talismans
  3. modern witchcraft and magic for beginners
  4. the witches book of spells
  5.  therapeutic touch a practical guide
  6. Grimm's fairy tales

I'm currently busy keeping up with some of the japanese Light Novels that are finally getting an english translation. I'm almost done with Overlord Vol. 5, started Baccano Vol. 5, am halfway through No Game, No Life Vol. 6, and recently finished Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Vol. 2. All very much recommendable, though Overlord is starting to  bum me out a little bit...like with Re:Monster (another Light Novel series about being reborn into a fantasy world, though I only read the manga version here), I feel like the protagonist side is lacking morals a little bit too much. Which is why I'm looking forward to two other series with a similar setting about to be released in English soon: Regarding Reincarnation as Slime(Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken) and So I'm a Spider, so what?(Kumo desu ga, nani ka?). I've already read some of the manga version of the slime one, and it had a much more comfortable and way less drastic approach to the concept of building a nation from scratch in a fantasy world, so I'm really thrilled about reading the original books. Don't know much about the spider one, yet, but what I read sounds promising so far.

Aside from that, I still got most of the Chronicles of Prydain lying around (only read the first book, so far), as well as the second novel in Asimovs Foundation series, books 7+8 of Discworld, and Ahsoka, a Star Wars novel explaining what happened to her after "The Clone Wars". Also have Thrawn preordered (in paperback, hard cover is already out I think), another Star Wars novel about a character re-introduced into the canon.

And because that's not enough already I'm also wanting to continue the Dresden Files books. Only finished the first two so far, and then the flood of pre-ordered books arrived and kept me busy...

Gotta say, though, the book I spent the most time on reading lately is my own one^^ Probably read each sentence I got so far about 20+ times by now

I am reading the following at the moment:

Tales of Ancient Egypt (selected and retold by Roger Lancelyn Green)

V.I. Lenin Collected Works, Volume 25