ChibiDashie

Books! Books! And More Books!

Wow. There are a lot of folks around here diving or revisiting some great classics and several nonfiction works that I'm going to have to add to my must-read list.

Been on a fanfiction kick over deployment recently. Made it back through some of the lengthier works that are almost novels themselves while working through my Kindle library. Last week I finished the Dragonlore trilogy and have followed it up with Atlas Shrugged. If I make it through that one by the end of Dec then it's on to going back through The Landmark Thucydides, Herodotus, and Xenophon series by Robert B. Strassler. Such a neat time period to dive into.

For my Gothic Lit class, I've recently read Frankenstein (it was fine), The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (meh) and Dracula (pretty bad).

I'm currently getting back into reading the MLP comics, which has been a decent read so far.

I took interest in Battle Angel Alita when they first announced the film's production way back when. On the whole, the manga looked like my jam.

I finished it a few days ago so I'm still processing it, but here is my current thoughts on it summed up by this gif:

full.gif

Most of the characters, especially the titular Alita, were one-dimensional and not compelling in the slightest. Everything else - the art, setting, etc. - got me through it and I have no plans to continue on to the subsequent sequels.

But I am interested to see how they do it after watching the trailer. Christoph Waltz is a pretty good get, in my opinion.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, ABronyAccount said:

I have two pending pre-orders! The first is Soonish by Zach Weinersmith (yeah, really!) of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal infame. Also waiting on The Storm Before the Storm by Mike Duncan, aka "The History of Rome Guy." Both of these should be landing in my snailmail by late October.

Soonish Verdict: Occasionally repetitive, but so saturated with that trademark SMBC humor that it barely matters. Eagerly awaiting more books from Kelly and Zach WienersmithWeinersmith.

Currently finishing "The Storm Before the Storm", and I'm starting up on "The Conquistadors" from Hammond Innes. Sort of an older book I had to find at a used bookstore.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:47 PM, Nile Komnenos said:

Currently finishing "The Storm Before the Storm" ...

That's probably next on my reading list. What did you think of it?

I've been meaning to read the final Pennyroyal Academy book, but not only do I need to make the time for it, but I also want to make it a point to reread the first two books in succession just to get an idea on the series as a whole. On top of that, I've just recently finished collecting all the single volumes of Dragon Ball and want to finally read all of those like I've been wanting to do since I found out about the manga when I was a kid (yeah, I'm super late on that, so sue me...)

And finally, I'm hoping to eventually read my recently purchased copy of Ponyville Confidential by Sherilyn Connelly. But if I'm being honest, I'm kind of anxious about that one because I've heard the author isn't as objective as she should be given the point of the book is to examine "The History and Culture of My Little Pony" from 1981 to 2016, and from what I hear she won't stop singing the praises of Generation 4 compared to the previous generations (doesn't help that she apparently hated MLP until G4). I don't disagree that G4 is probably the best generation given the effort put into the show's quality and the gender barriers it's broken, but I don't need a professionally written book to keep harping on that when I'm more interested in how the property got its start and how it has changed since then. It also doesn't sit well with me that she made it a point to not only include a chapter with every episode/EQG movie and short of G4 up to Season 5 (something that wasn't needed in the slightest), but also saw fit to include her personal opinion on each episode, movie, and short in the form of a letter grade which I feel is incredibly uncalled for in a book that is meant to examine a property's history and culture objectively. And for the record, I simply cannot agree with a B+ for "Princess Spike" and "What About Discord" when episodes like "Filli Vanilli", "Inspiration Manifestation", and "Slice Of Life" get a D-, a D, and an F respectively. However, I will try to give the book a chance because I've heard mostly good things about it so hopefully by the time I finish it, I'll have found the rest of the book to be a satisfactory counter-weight.

Finished a biography on Martin Luther that was underwhelming and preachy. But also finished Cod: A Biography which was unironically excellent. I have since moved onto Dark Alliance, the tale about the relationship the CIA, DEA, FBI, and the Reagan Administration had with the cartels and contrast, through not only the infamous Iran-Contra deal but in the import of cocaine into the United States and the crack-cocaine epidemic it facilitated. I am also almost done with Hegel's Science of Reason.

I recently finished the 26th volume of Lenin's Collected Works, and I am getting started on Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel.

If I haven't mentioned this book before, then I will again. Read Cod: A Biography. It's pretty chill and great as a history book, or for economic history.

Now with that aside I'm physically reading The Dark Alliance, an investigative piece into the relationship between the CIA, FBI, and the Contras and the subsequent crack-cocaine epidemic that swept the nation that occurred from that relationship as a means to fund yet another coup in Central America because muh national interests. I haven't had much time to do any serious reading since I fixed my computer and slid into old habits, so I should get back to gooder reading habits.

Otherwise, since listening to a reading on Cicero's letter/essay on Friendship and some Seneca for shits, I feel inclined to hunt down and read some of the Roman and Greek canon.

For those interested, it was these:

I am currently reading:

Capital, Volume 1 by Karl Marx.

A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinarily True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power by Paul Fischer.

I am reading The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by Sir James G. Frazer.