M2 Ball

In which ways are you old-fashioned?

I like old classic cars as opposed to new ones

I remember when being a gentleman wasn't considered sexist

I prefer to have a physical copy of a movie, game, book, etc

I remember when people aren't triggered over every little thing

7 hours ago, PixelGrip94 said:

I miss when games had instruction manuals as it added to the literal weight of my purchases.

I prefer games that have a good single player over games that have good multiplayer.

I prefer watching a movie in a theater or using a physical disc over watching it on Netflix or Hulu.

I prefer to wear an analog wristwatch over checking my phone for the time

I prefer drawing with paper and a pencil over drawing on a tablet (although that may be the result of my drawing sucking even more than usual when using a tablet)

Speaking from my heart on each of those, seriously (though I have to say, my wristwatch is digital, but that's the only thing)

I hate that I can't get some shows on DVD because they are digital only these days, I go to the movies at least once per month (was my new-years resolution of 2014 and I've actually stayed true to it until now!), I go through more paper a week then most people go through cloths in a month, I recently had a long and passionate debate with some friends over whether or not manuals are/were an important aspect of videogames or not, and I always prefer a good singleplayer over any multiplayer.

That being said, I also own a non-smartphone, and I do it with pride. I don't have a flatrate but use prepaid, to keep me from spaming people with messages (you think twice about every "okay" or "alright" if it costs you 15 cents each). I love the smell of books, especially old ones. I have a beard even though it was old-fashioned back when I first grew it. I watch everything back to the 100+ years old Charlie Chaplin shorts. I would take a car from the last century over pretty much every car currently made (my personal favorite is the Delorean DMC 12...yes, THAT Delorean). I HATE abbrevations. And I'm still going by the gentleman standards from the 19th century and earlier I picked up from television, movies and books as a kid (honour your elders, treat a lady with respect, don't swear around kids...)

Oh, and a few years ago I still thought that I could count the good cartoons done after the year 2000 at the fingers of one hand. That was before I discovered (or in some cases before it aired) Gravity Falls, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, Steven Universe, the Ducktales&Samurai Jack remake/continuation and, of course, My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic. Me and my similiar-aged friends often talk about how great television still was in the 90's and 80's.

Apart from political beliefs, I'm more old-fashioned in the sense that I would rather have a physical copy of a book, CD, or movie than a digital version. I have a strong support for my local brick-and-mortar store and I will always get my media from there.

I'm apparently also old-fashioned (or frugal) because I'm not up with the latest technology, fashion, etc. I don't need to be on top of that.

• Like 1

I get very old fashioned when it comes to music and books. For books I really need a hard copy, nothing beats the smell of a new book

and I like to have real pages. But with music it get's more old fashioned, I mean yes I use mp3 when I'm not at home but most of my favorite music is

on a solid vinyl. The cracking sound when you put it on the phonograph is just marvelous, plus if a CD gets a scratch it's useless, when that happens to a

vinyl it gets unique.     

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 7:15 AM, ABronyAccount said:

320kbps mp3 files from any encoder not left fallow since Bush v. Gore  will be "transparent" in terms of audio quality to the original CD source material, even at a constant bitrate. With mp3 encoders that have been refined and optimized at any point over the last decade, especially since variable bitrate became the norm, even 256kbps is virtually indistinguishable to well over 99.9% of humans on the planet, even under carefully controlled conditions that you will never replicate in the real world.

More advanced lossy codecs like Vorbis, AAC, Opus, etc. achieve audio transparency at even lower bitrates, down to 192kbps or so.

The real advantage to ripping in a lossless codec like FLAC or ALAC is that you can transcode this copy into any lossy codec you want without suffering degeneration along the way. It's your "master copy" from whence you can spawn an endless army of mp3s or AACs without introducing errors or noise at each step!

I still buy physical CDs and rip to FLAC, then use the FLAC file to burn another physical copy as my "daily driver" for the car or bedroom stereo. I keep the original in its case so it doesn't get wear and/or tear. From the FLAC copy, I also transcode lossy versions (usually Vorbis in a .ogg container at 256kpbs for an overkill level of transparency headroom) for my mp3 player/tablet/phone etc. Because even with 128GB microSD cards, space on portables is still at a premium and I have over 50GB of unique music files.

hNKHXEs.gif

But yes, my physical media buying preferences are pretty much the same as yours.

I've heard that FLAC is one of the best ways to encode lossless music files, but I don't have a device that can read those files so I just rip them as "CD Quality" iTunes files as I think that's the best I can get with the music players I use most often. And even though the bitrate is higher with the CD rip than a digital purchase, I'll admit to rarely noticing a difference when I happen to have both versions to compare and am assuming they're better quality more than anything. I'm not as much of an audiophile as I'd like to be and I don't see myself making the time to become that kind if audiophile anytime soon.

1 hour ago, PixelGrip94 said:

I've heard that FLAC is one of the best ways to encode lossless music files, but I don't have a device that can read those files

Do you have a smartphone? If yes try the VLC app it plays FLAC files without problem.

FLAC is just a free, open-source, lossless compression format. Unlike MP3, AAC, Vorbis, etc. it does not throw out any audio information when squeezing down a file. Being "lossless" like this is what makes it great to use as a master source for making other files, like mp3s; making an mp3 from the FLAC file produces exactly the same result as making an mp3 from the original CD. But this means the files can't be compressed as much; a typical mp3 will be about 1/5 the size of the CD source material, while a FLAC version will be about 1/2 the size of the source. So bigger files, but with bit-perfect audio reproduction.

FLAC is supported by just about everything that isn't an iPod (even Windows has had official FLAC support since 10).  If you're not in an Apple ecosystem, it's virtually the default option for lossless files.

ALAC is Apple's lossless codec. It's equivalent to FLAC in all regards*, but the only official support for it is in Apple devices. It's been reverse-engineered for over a dozen years and there is an open-source implementation that's used by VLC, foobar2k, etc. But if you want to listen to Apple Lossless on a portable device, your best bet is stil an iDevice.

*It actually has greater bit depth and sampling rate support than FLAC, but none of that matters for anything other than audio production work. You absolutely cannot hear the difference between equally mastered 16-bit, 44.1KHz CD audio and 24-bit, 192KHz "super ultra hi-rez HD" music files. The differences are way beyond what the human ear can detect, even with the absolute best headphones in a totally silent room. They only matter when you're in the studio mixing several different tracks together, because the better resolution includes a lower amount of "noise" to work around. None of this noise is audible in the final product mastered to CD standards.

14 hours ago, FastRiff said:

Do you have a smartphone? If yes try the VLC app it plays FLAC files without problem.

I've done that before, but I have a lot of music that needs to be gapless and VLC skips between tracks and that doesn't do my OCD any favors. I'm fine sticking with the files I got

13 hours ago, Starlight said:

I still use Windows XP.

I used my Windows XP computer until it started having motherboard problems.  I am still using my Windows 7 PC (I have had it for over six years), and when this computer finally "dies", I am planning on ditching Windows for Linux. I don't need the latest and greatest in electronics.

I'm not sure if this makes me old-fashioned in itself, but I often try to troubleshoot and repair things on my own before before hiring a professional (I often don't have to do the latter, and I would be less dependent on an automotive mechanic if I had more tools and a place to actually work on my car).

• Like 1

I prefer wired devices to wireless ones (e.g. game controllers, mice, ethernet).

And on a related note, I really hate when devices have a non-replaceable , proprietary, rechargeable battery. More and more devices seem to be going this way.

• Like 2

i still sleep on a water bed

i say phrases like

1. groovy
  2. far out man

i prefer to watch shows on t.v instead of on the internet

i watch the carol burnett show for cryin out loud

boy do i feel old