M2 Ball

In which ways are you old-fashioned?

When it comes to being old-fashioned, I happen to prefer physical copies of books and periodicals to e-readers, online newspaper editions, etc.

• Like 4

Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I believe marriage should only be a contract between two men to determine how their property is divvied up among their betrothed children without the latter's consent on the matter!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leonbrony17 said:

IF i would still play games i would prefer physical ones. I was never a fan of all the online confusion.

And by "physical," I'm assuming you mean console games, rather than PC?

• Like 2

I don't have a smartphone, and I don't think I've ever even sent a text.

I'm more familiar with DOS than I am with Android or iOS.

I avoid social media (facebook, twitter, etc) like the plague. I was forced by my family to make a facebook account, but I never use it.

I'd rather go to a rental store to rent movies/games than use online services like Netflix. Too bad rental stores have gone the way of the dodo.

I prefer '80s and '90s video games to modern ones.

I'd rather have a game as a cartridge or a disc instead of a digital download.

Most of my favorite music is from before I was born (1987).

I'd rather read a paperback than an e-book.

I prefer cars that have manual locks and windows.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, M2 Ball said:

I happen to prefer physical copies of books and periodicals to e-readers, online newspaper editions, etc.

Me too, physical books feel so much more convenient. And they have the authentic book feel which is more awesome when you physically have the book for yourself!

Even reading my notes from physics classes was a bit hard since they were on my laptop and continuously looking at a screen gives me headaches. The mental image of reading a whole textbook on a screen is almost painful.

• Like 1

Ok, so first off, I don't use any social media or anything of the sort. I find it completely pointless and time wasting.

Secondly, just as M2 Ball mentioned, I prefer to buy physical copies of books, or any other reading material rather than reading it online.

Thirdly, I seem to prefer older video games in different video game franchises rather than their more recent counterparts. For example, my favourite game in the Elder Scrolls series is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and my favourite Grand Theft Auto game is San Andreas.

Fourthly, while I do like certain music from this era, most of my music taste consists of music from between the 1960s - 1990s. 

• Like 1

I still buy CDs.

12 hours ago, M2 Ball said:

I happen to prefer physical copies of books and periodicals to e-readers, online newspaper editions, etc.

Doesn't everyone?

12 hours ago, J. Brony said:

I refuse to date women with tattoos.

Why? Do you think the ink seeps into their bloodstream and infects them with badness? If you married a woman and *then* found out she had an inconspicuous tattoo somewhere, would you file for divorce? If your girlfriend wanted a tattoo, would you break up with her? Would you tell her that was why you were breaking up with her? What if a girl had a tattoo, but it had been forced on her without her consent while she slept, would that count? Do you have a questionnaire that you give to women before you agree to date them, so they can't spring a surprise tattoo on you later?

:doublefacehoof:

21 hours ago, Netburst Celeron said:

Most of my favorite music is from before I was born (1987).

I prefer cars that have manual locks and windows.

Most of the music I like also happens to be older than me, or at the very least, close to my age (I was born in 1985).  I also prefer manual locks and windows in cars, as such a thing means less things to go wrong as the car ages (bad window motors, broken wires, etc.).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, M2 Ball said:

Most of the music I like also happens to be older than me, or at the very least, close to my age (I was born in 1985).  I also prefer manual locks and windows in cars, as such a thing means less things to go wrong as the car ages (bad window motors, broken wires, etc.).

Yep. That's the exact reason I stay away from power windows and locks (and motorized seats, too). They're too prone to failure.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to live in a world with no internet at all. I know it seems incongruous to say that as I type away on my computer on this online forum, but if the world was a different place I'd fit into it just fine. 

I agree with the idea of physical books versus reading on a screen. I love the feeling of a book in my hand, especially the old ones from the early 20th century; they have such a great supple feel to them. 

I also like old fashioned fashions. I love the idea of wearing a beautiful fluffy dress with my hair in tube curls. That would rock my world. 

• Like 2

Well, here goes.

• Not sure if you'd call this old-fashioned, but I'd never say anything online I wouldn't say to someone's face. I call it hypocrisy.
  • I prefer physical copies of my games.
  • Books, too.
  • I think men are more attractive when they're tough, and have a little hair on their chest.
  • I still embody a time when people could hear a joke and not go home to their Tumblr blogs to cry about it.
  • Like 2

I still think that CDs are far superior than digital files of music. I like physical copies of games more, and I also am a little close minded on some aspects, for example, I still think that traditional art is far better than digital art and also I almost always refuse to listen to most modern metal (cause the 80s and 90s are still the best times for metal), and that's pretty much it

Also, even that I have a Facebook account and all, I pretty much don't use it except for talking with friends and to recover important stuff from the high school group (I'd really like to leave that group, but if I do, my grades get affected)

• Like 3

I prefer disco and music from the 60s 70s and 80s to many of the modern songs.(except Jesse's girl)

• Like 1

I never wear a hat indoors and I think that no one should. If you have a headwear you take it off at the door, it's that simple.

When it comes to cars and motorcycles, theres lots of small things where I think older technology is better. For example I prefer carburetor over fuel injection.

While I see the convenience of digital mediums and will use them from time to time because of their convenience, I still prefer physical copies of pretty much everything be it a movie, game, CD, or book.

I miss when games had instruction manuals as it added to the literal weight of my purchases.

I prefer games that have a good single player over games that have good multiplayer.

I prefer watching a movie in a theater or using a physical disc over watching it on Netflix or Hulu.

I prefer to wear an analog wristwatch over checking my phone for the time

I prefer drawing with paper and a pencil over drawing on a tablet (although that may be the result of my drawing sucking even more than usual when using a tablet)

On 9/8/2017 at 6:10 PM, MARK9000 said:

I still think that CDs are far superior than digital files of music.

You're actually not wrong in thinking this. When you buy an album digitally, the quality varies from where you buy it and the file type you buy it as. The highest KBPS I've seen in a digital music file is 320 KBPS. When you rip it straight from a CD, however, the quality still varies but is almost always higher (again, depending on the file type). When I rip CDs, I use iTunes and rip it as lossless CD quality digital files and have gotten anywhere from 474 to 1064 KBPS. Huge difference, and those are just the digital files taken from the CD. Listening to the CD itself is either just as good, or better than that. So youre right on the money there, and it's the same reason I still buy physical CDs.

• Like 1

320kbps mp3 files from any encoder not left fallow since Bush v. Gore  will be "transparent" in terms of audio quality to the original CD source material, even at a constant bitrate. With mp3 encoders that have been refined and optimized at any point over the last decade, especially since variable bitrate became the norm, even 256kbps is virtually indistinguishable to well over 99.9% of humans on the planet, even under carefully controlled conditions that you will never replicate in the real world.

More advanced lossy codecs like Vorbis, AAC, Opus, etc. achieve audio transparency at even lower bitrates, down to 192kbps or so.

The real advantage to ripping in a lossless codec like FLAC or ALAC is that you can transcode this copy into any lossy codec you want without suffering degeneration along the way. It's your "master copy" from whence you can spawn an endless army of mp3s or AACs without introducing errors or noise at each step!

I still buy physical CDs and rip to FLAC, then use the FLAC file to burn another physical copy as my "daily driver" for the car or bedroom stereo. I keep the original in its case so it doesn't get wear and/or tear. From the FLAC copy, I also transcode lossy versions (usually Vorbis in a .ogg container at 256kpbs for an overkill level of transparency headroom) for my mp3 player/tablet/phone etc. Because even with 128GB microSD cards, space on portables is still at a premium and I have over 50GB of unique music files.

hNKHXEs.gif

But yes, my physical media buying preferences are pretty much the same as yours.

• Like 2