Oldmanjenkins

Starlight Glimmer next Alicorn

Okay, so I just saw this - 

Not many people have seen it at the moment, and although I cannot vouch for its accuracy it is made by a fairly popular analyser that has got things right in the past. In any case, how would you guys feel about Starlight becoming an Alicorn?

In my opinion, I pray that this does not happen. We already have too many Alicorns as it is and there is no need for another. In addition, Starlight seems extremely under qualified to become an Alicorn, especially when compared to other characters of the main 6, who have practically learnt the same lessons as Twilight and seem more fit for the job.

Anyway, what do you think about this?

• Like 1

I have a few problems with it.  First, the music.  It does meld well with the rest of the MLP music nor with more of the teasers.  Second, the date.  8/21/17  The next two episodes are due on 8/19/17 and 8/26/17.  I'm not saying they won't do it in the future.  I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't an alicorn for the last episode.  But they really haven't been leaning her toward being an alicorn of anything.  Twilight has been set up to be connected with Friendship since the first episode.  I supposed it could be of redemption or something, but she's not there yet.  Regardless, the dates especially make me think it's false.

• Like 1

It would feel boring to me if they would repeat Twilight's journey for Starlight. Doesn't help that well honestly alicorns don't seem that special anymore so it would be "oh Starlight has wings, neat". 

PinkiePie97 is probably correct.

• Like 1

If they actually did that, it would be the equivalent of you-know-who being the one to retire The Undertaker...

large.png

While it may be a decent idea, it will cause even more of an uproar then there already is.

• Like 1

Looks like either a fan project or a hoax.  I'm predicting Starlight might get her own Element of Harmony and seat at the Cutie Map but nothing like this.

I like to think about the idea of where they are taking these characters though, but I doubt Starlight will ever become an alicorn. You have to look at this concept from this perspective: "What do we gain by making Starlight an alicorn?" - not just in terms of storytelling, but also in the way bronies/little girls experience it and the way it would help Hasbro's future goals for their IP.

For Twilight it was obvious; making her an alicorn gave meaning to everything she did up to that point. Every lesson, every bit of character development, the reason why Celestia took a student in the first place and so on came together. Sure, we can all debate on whether it was set up properly enough and not rushed, but it worked. It also worked with the line-up of alicorns around: Celestia/Luna representing Day/Night and Cadence/Twilight representing Love/Friendship. Now, we can all agree that it was botched a bit on what happened afterwards in regards to giving Twilight a place within the greater scope of things, but it still works decent enough.

Now compare it to the series as it stands now, 4 seasons later, and Starlight's role. Of course you all notice that a lot of attention gets pulled to the ''redemption character arcs'' of former villains. This isn't odd; MLP:FIM is nearing its expiration date. Bronies weren't expected, and if it were not for them the show would've been dropped at five seasons, with a new generation of MLP a few years later. (The cycle of toylines). But Bronies came and the series remained popular. Since they're running out of ideas to work with (not Hasbro's fault, its simply the life of any animated tv-show) they're turning on looking deeper on other perspectives within the Equestria universe. In this case, its former villains, although I expect more "background ponies" to get more attention in season 8 when the villain redemption arcs conclude. 

Now, these former villain character arcs (the last Discord/Fluttershy episode for example really progressed the Discord arc) are all unfolding and developing, and will reach their conclusions at one point - so also Starlight's. This doesn't mean she will become an alicorn. The reason, again, is that it doesn't serve her or the universe. 1) Nothing will be gained. 2) like @Cinder Vel said, it detracts from the value alicorns have , 3) like @Tinsel says, it would be too much like Twilight's and 4), it wouldn't serve the Hasbro toyline. No, what I think is best is if she goes in her life to learn ponies HOW to think and be self-responsible and self-sufficient, not WHAT to think and be dependent on a leader's whims, which is the antithesis of what she was before. Her old village seems to be in need of this since after her first return after the opening of season 5, the ponies there acted like they don't know to think for themselves properly. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 2:51 PM, LostSanity said:

I'll leave the fandom.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Meanwhile, we have some people who say that they will cry if Starlight never becomes Alicorn.

Guess Hasbro can't please everyone. :pinkieshrug:

I don't think we need another one, but if we get one, it has to be a guy. Hell, I'll settle for "Prince So and So who died 500 years ago fighting the Windegoes"