Badshot

The Job - Starbound Roleplay main thread

Dominant Race: Human

Population: 16,000,000,000

Relative Earth Time: 16:00

Current Weather: Party cloudy

The city is beginning to die down as the sun begins to set, at least on this part of the city. The sky lanes are mostly open with ground paths less crowded than usual, and all the high society types away in their homes. Doing whatever it is they do.

The lower districts however, as they don't normally get much sunlight, are still bustling. The local bars are packed with citizens and visitors alike drinking what remained of the day away. Lower markets were still busy with individuals buying and selling wares, and nightclubs so loud there's been more than one noise complaint. And let's not forget the black markets carefully eyeing for patrolling law force. 

But among all the commotion of this city's nightlife, an old apex woman, graying more than 100 year old human, sits at a table in one of the alleyways, waiting for someone, either alone or a group, to do something for her. There have been whispers that she's looking for mercenaries, people who can infiltrate a high security location and assassinate someone, but won't tell who, and she's paying quite well.

(Post your intros everyone.)

A light blue Avian fluttered down the streets, or at least tried to. He is seen poking his head into every stall for a moment before moving onwards. Eventually, he finds an alleyway, and doing what any curious bird would do, he entered. He then hopped back out, then in, a few times, before tiring of his little game and going to check it out for real. If one were to follow him, they may hear a cry of "What's down this alley?" Or "Holy feathers, you're old!" He seems to have no filter on what he says, and an awkward silence fills the alleyway he is currently in.

"Hope the rumors where true" Mike thought to himself. As much as it was not the first time wandering these lower streets, it was impossible to shake the feeling of impending danger. Keeping his hands on his holsters he rapidly walked towards the last know location of this mysterious Apex.

Walking past the many stalls, glancing occasionally to the weapons that so far were out of reach of his wallet, Mike started to wonder if this was a good idea, after all it would be the first assassination mission, so far he had tried his hardest to keep his bounties alive with consistent success, and the only times he killed someone it was when these were, as he put it, "unreasonable and unaccountably evil creatures".

He shrugged, if this target requires an assassin in most likely isn't a very nice person anyway, perhaps ll these fears are unfounded. As this last thought rolls around his mind he finds himself in the alleyway he was looking for, a quick look at the tables reveals one being occupied.

Walking closer he makes out to shapes, one is clearly the Apex woman, hard to mistake the simian appearance with the facial hair.

The other is...blue, light blue and has what appears to be...feathers, yes and a beak, an Avian?

At this point Mike reached the table, he pulled up a seat and sat at the opposite end of the two, after a short moment of silence he says:

"I heard you are looking for mercs...delicate job...high value target...I believe my services can be of use" as he finishes his phrase he glances over to the Avian "Unless "Blue" here beat me to it?"

The smell of Erchius fuel and machine oil filled the air around one of the lower district's landing pads as Sash stepped off the loading platform of an aging Apex freighter. A spear was tied to his back and a colorful snake cling tightly to his upper right arm. Sash grimaced as the various smells assaulted his senses and lowly cursed under his breath "Smellss like sewage..."

Making his way off the landing pad, weaving around freight workers and various machines the Floran eventually made his way out into the street. Looking around the bustling area he recalled an old human saying he'd heard on a trade station : "Looking like a fish out of water." and fishes out of water were food. He sure as hell wasn't about to become anyone or anything's food. Hopes high, he strode forward into the crowd, a small bubble formed around him as he passed through as citizens kept their distance and occasionally whispered crude remarks.

A small high-tech looking stall sat ahead, labeled "Hyper-drinks" by a large neon sign above. Sash made his way over and spotted a figure wearing blue overalls and a large hood behind the counter. Stepping up he nervously greeted "H-hello, do you serve water?" prompting a quick reply by what seemed to be the bartender -"We only serve ale and co- OH GODS A FLORAN! ". Stepping back from the outburst of what seemed to be a very distressed Hyloti bartender, he stumbled into the table behind him knocking over a pair of drinks. Two rather bulky bar patrons, a hyloti and a human, with obvious stains on their clothes glared daggers at him and growled "We don't appreciate your kind here shrubling, let's teach it a lesson." 

The snake around his arm unwound its head and lowly hissed at the two while Sash gave them his best nervous smile and replied "Sssorry but y-you see.. uhm.." Stepping slightly back he yelled "BYE!" and flipped the table over at the two brutes, bolting in the opposite direction followed by the two recovering bar patrons. Running blindly into the 3'd corner in a row he felt his pursuers lagging behind and dived into a dark alley in an attempt to lose them, but crashed into what seemed to be a human sitting in a chair in front of a small stall and rolled into a nearby pile of garbage. Out of the corner of his eyes he also spotted a brightly colored blue blur of feathers and what seemed to be the owner of the stall behind it.

Sis walked down the stairs leading to the upper district after a rough day of work. Some of the peoples she met in the way greeted her as she made her way to the lower district and her home, only to discover that a job assignement has been pinned on her door. It was a note from the patron of the pub she uses to go, mentioning that an Apex lady was looking for some mercenaries but without precising the motive. 

Not willing to miss an opportunity to earn money, she headed straight to the restaurant where the patron, one of her acquaintances and the owner of the job board pointed at the Apex, already engaged in a conversation with a human. At the same instant, a floran bursted out of a nearby alley and crashed a few away into a pile of garbage, not without knocking down some tables, chairs and the human who made the mistake to be in the way.

She wasn't surprised in the slightest, alcoholics trying to dodge their bills are not uncommon here. She approched the garbage bin to lend him a hand.

"Querying. Are you alright, Floran ?"

Shortly after leaving her apartment, Yoko went looking for this apex women, but she also wondered if she could make a lot of money by robbing her. She shrugged and thought it wouldn't be worth the trouble considering she was probably wealthy enough to own a powerful weapon. She eventually found her way to a strange alleyway with a table at the end of it. She walks towards the table to find the apex woman and a long line of people waiting for their turn. Yoko sighed and decided to wait in line as well,not wanting to cause any trouble by cutting infront. Thankfully, she found this place rather quickly through an information broker,although it cost her about 500 pixels for the information.

"This woman better be worth my time,I'm already running low on pixels...",She thought as she waited in line.

The old apex, after seeing all that transpired, barely changed the look on her face.

'Oh dear, these guys are going to get themselves killed...' She thought.

"I assume you are all here for the contract correct?"

Yoko finally gets through the line to meet the apex lady.

"Yes,and how much are you paying if we complete it? And who are you, anyway?"

"Who I am is not important, and as for payment, it will be quite generous. Easily a few dozen grand for each of you."

The apex pauses.

"I trust you have personal transport? This target is on a remote planet."

"Well that might prove to be a problem..." Mike said looking away "I wouldn't be here if I had personal transport, the only way I get around is by public transportation...which isn't very reliable". Looking back to the others he let's off a sigh: "Don't suppose any of you folk got a spaceship and an extra seat? If I get what this lady just said we are better off cooperating if we want to maximize our odds of success...and payment".

"A remote planet? I'd love to see that! Just think of all the new stuff we can find! It's just... I don't have a ship. Last one I rode kinda... Exploded. How was I supposed to know that shoving bread in the slot would cause the ship to self destruct! I thought it was supposed to be the toaster!" He looked quite cross at this, and trailed off into muttering about how spaceship designers were lunatics bent on blowing up anyone who stepped foot, paw, or claw in them.

"..."

The apex returned her attention to the human. "Well if you do need transport, another merc and his companion accepted the job but hasn't left yet, might talk to him. I believe he said he was going to the Starduster bar."

"Starduster bar huh? Not to far from here if I recall, guess its worth a shot as I don't have other alternatives...just so I know who I'm looking for, did he give you a name? Any information such as gender, race and looks would also help".

"His name was Allen, he was dressed like a cowboy I believe, I couldn't get a good look at his face though."

"Uuugh... Sstupid hyloti... Sash is fine, thank you." Sash said taking the hand of a helpful Glitch and was pulled out of the trash. Flicking off a stray piece of paper stuck in his leafy hair he stared at the old apex lady currently offering the assembled rag-tag crew a job and thought "Woah, she looks older than the forest back home and smellss funny too.". Giving her an odd look replied with a cringe on his face "Cowboyss easy to find, Sash can smell them from miles, always sssmell like leather, sssand and alcohol." 

"Dressed like a cowboy...this rings a bell, I think I might know the race of this fellow, read something about cowboy dressed folk in my family's logs a while back, if my assumptions are correct he should stick out like a sore thumb and not only because of his outfit. Anyway, if you all have no objections I say we head off to meet this Allen, we can always properly introduce ourselves on the way there." Mike stood up and moved slightly towards the exit of the alleyway, turning around to face the others. 

"I guess I'll start: my name is Mike Starcharter, ex USCM pilot now freelancer, perhaps you have already heard the name of my family beforehand, if not well the long story short is that my family has a certain renown in the circle of space explorers, I hope to one day live up to the name. But, as you now know, I lack the most important tool for the aspiring explorer: a jump capable space ship. This is why I am here, I'm taking these jobs to slowly but surely get to the point of being able to afford one." He then paused for a moment. " Well that's all there is to say for now, I am curious to hear more about you guys along the way."

"Friendly. You may call me Sis. Nothing much to say about me, I am a freelancer and a local of this planet for 7 years now."

She then turned to the apex. "Querying. Who is the target ?"

The apex woman pulls out a picture with coordinates of the planet and planetary coordinates of the location.

"His name is Logan, and lets just say my partners have a bit of a... rivalry with him and he has gone too far."

The picture shows a middle aged apex male, though it only shows his head, there are a few distinguishable features, such as a scar on his left eye.

"He is quite heavily guarded. But if you succeed, it will be more than worth your while."

"Name is Sash Autumnroot, Sa- I like fixing thingss. Spend last few years on Apex trade ship, learn new culturess."

"Is Sash only one who thinks this contract is suspicious? Very... va-gu-e, fishy..." Sash continued while keeping up with the others.

"I'm Zolin Ixtli! I love to explore new worlds- being stuck on one for a time suuuuucks! Nice to meet you all- and thanks for telling me who to target! I've got just the thing for it..." With that, he rummages in his inventory and brings out a coconut. "Always liked a moving target, they're fun to play with!"

"Is blue birdman seriouss about ussing coconut as a weapon?" Sash questioned with a raised eyebrow, while his pet snake peaked out of his leafy hair.