Badshot

The Job - Starbound Roleplay main thread

"Yes and no and I rather keep it that way."

Allen turns and heads towards the ship.

"Come on, we got a target waitin' for us."

Fern was over by the door in 4B, sitting on one of the chairs, occasionally her head would appear to be tracking something. Probably bugs.

Sash walked up to the bay entrance and greeted Fern with a small bow before walking over to the ship and began inspecting it. "I've never ssseen anything like this sship, your speciesss must be very rare in the wesstern trade sectors."

Scrutinizing it further Sash knocked on a panel and began quickly scanning the hull " It lookss like a train, but at the ssame time isn't, fascinating. Eagle class, from the sssize... Two-" the Floran paused, pressed his head to the hull and knocked on it again " No, three layer Titanium-Durassteel alloy sship hull, low profile atmosss and maneuvering thrusters, ssecond gen FLT drive... Runss on Ericihus fuel. " Pausing again he cringed and shook his head before continuing " Ssshe's a little banged up and rusted though. No offence. " Sash finished with a sheepish grin.

Mike had walked alongside Sash and listened to his analysis with great interest "Eagle class huh..." he paused as he took in the sheer size of the vessel...and it's unusual design resembling a steam train from a time long gone on late planet earth. "Despite the rust I take it we have quite a fine ship here, three layer Titanium-Durasteel alloy? Color me impressed, near top grade U.S.C.M. hull plating right there...on small corvettes that is" he then walked up to the docking port, pressed the necessary buttons to open it and waited for the group to board.

"Yeah she's a tad rusty, hopin' this job pays well so I can get her a new paintjob and some spare parts for my revolvers."

Allen walked in and headed towards the front of the ship. The inside wasn't the usual plain durasteel interior that most ships have, it was still durasteel, but decorated to feel more cowboyish with painting (or whatever to change it's color but keep it's metallic look) to give it more brownish hue. The airlock (where you entered, both sides are open due to it not being a vacuum) was mostly empty with a few seats, but the hall beyond has various knickknacks, and stretched all the way down to the end of the ship, save for doors between each section with sealed flexible chambers for when the ship moved. (for layout, think of the train in Harry Potter, the hall is on one side with rooms on the other, with it curving back for the doors at each end)

"The guest room is in compartment 3, well not really much of a guest room, but I've had enough people stay on here to at least put a few bunkbeds in."

Current compartment is 2

Fern meanwhile headed in the direction of said rooms but turned into one of the rooms near the end of the current compartment.

"Also don't go in Fern's room, it's a mess..." he says before he heads off to the front.

Mike checked the guest compartment before heading to the cockpit, receiving a skeptical look from Methan "Don't worry, I'm just here to be quiet and not interfere, I just wan't to be able to take in the beauty of space when we take off" part of the reason was to also familiarize with the cockpit and controls, so that in the advent of an emergency he could have taken over, luckily it would seem that for the most part the controls were based on standard intergalactic ship regulations so it wouldn't be hard to fly.

The guest room was slightly ragtag, clearly it wasn't very well taken care of but it is still liveable (good thing none of you are Hylotl, you'd have a heart attack). At least it was well lit.

On either side are 2 metal bunkbeds, with 4 in total and a table in the middle made of wood surrounded by folding chairs. A few things, mostly trash, littered the ground and there was stain on one of the beds... if Allen made no comment on this, how messy is Fern's mess?

In the front, Allen was doing preflight checks, he clearly cares enough to not blow up on take off, even if he skips over a couple minor things or comments, "Good enough".

After boarding and making his way to the Guest room Sash shrugged while looking around "Beats ssleeping in the cargo bay.". Placing his spear against the wall next to the folding chairs. The Floran paused as Vine, his pet snake, shuffled out of Sash's leafy hair and quickly wound down his arm down to the floor. The reptile scanned the room and turned back to its master letting out a series of low hisses and bobbed its head up and down. "Be good now, okay Vine? No biting or trying to kill the otherss." The snake lowered its head in defeat. "Good girl." seemingly satisfied Sash pulled out a small piece of dried meat from his pocket and watched as the snake ate it in one bite before it quickly climbed up the frame of the closest bunk bed and rolled up on the mattress for a nap. 

Sash on the other hand simply smiled and headed to the rear compartment of the ship.

Sis was about to run a check-up routine when she saw a smiling Zolin, which is not a good sign, running straight to Fern's room.

She got from her bag a rope that she had previously tied in a lasso  and, in a pure cowboy style, spun it above her head a few times before throwing it to try to catch the bird, shouting: "Enthusiastic. Hold it right there ! What do you think you're doing ?"

The door to the rear compartment slid open and Sash entered the room, briefly freezing at the sound of someone yelling a few rooms back. Shrugging it off, he stood in the doorway and looked around, inspecting what he assumed should have been the engineering room.

In the rear compartment (compartment 4) appeared to be boxes, lots of boxes and crates.

It's clearly a storage room. Though there doesn't appear to be any sort of organization, as if things where just put in random places.

In the front, Allen began speaking to the Station Manager over the radio.

"4B, requestin' take-off."

"Stand-by..."

A few seconds pass.

"Grav locks disengaging, ignite your engines."

Allen flicks a few switches on the dashboard, the roar of the engines fill up the ship. The airlock outer door slams shut and seals.

"Grav locks disengaged, flight path clear, bay doors open. Taxi inbound."

The radio shuts off, soon a vehicle flies into the docking bay with yellow and black stripes and a large tractor beam attached to the underside. It grabs hold of the front of the ship and begins to guide it out.

"Smooth sailing so far" Mike muttered, he wasn't to fond of the way Methan had done his pre-flight checks, he new of the dangers of not doing things thoroughly having seen many pilots at the flight academy either causing main drive meltdown due to not activating the coolant pumps or having the ship turn off mid flight because not all generators were active or the fuel lines were closed.

But even so he trusted that if Allen had gotten so far using those methods it would probably be fine...hopefully.

Yoko fell off her chair and woke up shortly afterward."Hey, are we there yet? Feels like I've been sleeping for hours." Yoko stretched and looked outside the ship's windows. "Oh,we're still near the planet..this is going to take awhile, isn't it?"

Sis dragged Zolin to the guest room, tied his two arms together and used the rest of the cord to strap him on a bed.

"Diplomatic. No offense but it's for security. Not yours, mostly ours."

She then noticed Vine throwing a interested look at him from the top bed on the other side of the room. "Giggly. This is not for you buddy, you might get food poisoning."

She stopped a bit and added "If he tries to be smart however...", finishing the phrase with a smile, sat on the nearest chair and finally began her check-up routine.

Stood in what was the cargo compartment Sash facepalmed and muttered something about trains under his breath. As he stepped back into the guest compartment he saw Sis tying Zolin to the frame of a bed. The Floran stared for a few seconds as Sis sat down on a chair, before rolling his eyes and walking over to the unfortunate Avian and crouching next to him.

"Wordss of advice, don't anger Glitch. Robot women can calculate ssome of the mossst efficient ways to torture you and ssstill keep you alive. " he gave him a vicious grin one could only see on a Floran before glancing at Sis. In between quiet chuckles Sash yawned and climbed into the bed Vine had occupied.

It wasn't long before the ship was outside, once it reached the outer bay doors, the taxi disengaged its tractor beam and flew back inside.

"Have a nice flight"

"Whatever..." Allen said after turning the radio off.

The ship started ascending into the atmosphere. Soon S.A.I.L came online.

"Welcome back Mr. Allen, I hope you found that contract you were looking for. Oh I'm sensing other life signs... Pick up some new friends?"

"Howdy sail. They're helpin' out with the job. Who knows, could be fun."

"Well I'm certainly glad you at least got some help this time, remember what happened in-"

"I told ya not ta mention that..." Allen gave a stern look (however novakids do that anyway...) at the nearby interface panel where the voice was coming from.

"My apologies Allen."

Allen returned to steering the ship into orbit.

S.A.I.L addressed the rest of the ship.

"Greetings passengers, I am the ships onboard S.A.I.L, we will be in orbit shortly. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me."

You may now interact with S.A.I.L, an interface panel is in each room.

"Ship status report" Mike instinctively asked S.A.I.L. , having seen the state of the ship and the way Methan interacted with it he wanted to put his mind at ease once and for all, or at least be able to act before anything unpleasant were to happen.

"All systems are nominal, if not in need of slight repair. Minor hull damage. Failure chance is 5%"

"It's been worse... my record was 30"

Mike was kinda startled by Methan's last statement, but 5% was going to have to do.

As the Novakid just said: could be worse.

At least now everyone in the ship had heard that, he hoped this might be of use to Sash somehow.

The ship was soon in orbit, the nearby station, which keeps an eye out for illegal goods and regulates traffic, put the ship in queue for jump. After a few  minutes, the station cleared it for FTL jump.

"Stand by for FTL jump."

After a few seconds, the engines roared with the sound of the FTL Drive kicking in. A flash of light outside the windows and soon stars were racing past the ship.

Allen then left the pilots seat.

"Gonna be a while till we get there, target is all the way across 5 sectors..."

As much as it was short, it was always a pleasant sight to be greeted by space after being used to atmospheric sunlight.

Hyperspace though was something you got bored of really quickly, as it turns out you spend most of your space flying time in it, so after the first couple of times it doesn't shock as much.

Mike stood up and walked back to the guest compartment, he chuckled at the sight of Zolin being all tied up, he pulled up a chair and started servicing his guns, throwing the occasional glance to the bound Avian.