Agilaz

Update Site Rules for 21st Century

Hello, I have some concerns regarding the site terms on EQD Forums. To summarize, one is a pet peeve regarding spam/gravedigging while the other is more serious and pertains to maintaining legally responsible global rules and/or terms of service.

Gravedigging: While I admittedly haven't seen so many problems with this in our humble village, I think it's bound to happen (especially in regard to those Chinese spammers who keep showing up).

Gravedigging (posting on a very old or dead thread) is generally not considered socially acceptable anywhere and I was very surprised not to see basic rules against this.

Eg. 

User in 2015: Is anyone going to see the MLP movie?

User today: No, its production was cancelled.

Updating Compliance with US Law:

Apparently our servers are based in the US, and I think this is important because EQD Forums could really be more clear that it is in compliance with the 1998 Childrens' Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) which is a federal law here in the states pertaining to how a business or "service" (such as a forum) may collect information (including so little as a username) from minors under the age of 13.

If you have ever used a board which says you must be at least 13 to post there, it's often due to the site owner's wishes to comply with these regulations.

"The Rule applies to operators of commercial websites and online services (including mobile apps) directed to children under 13 that collect, use, or disclose personal information from children.  It also applies to operators of general audience websites or online services with actual knowledge that they are collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13.  The Rule also applies to websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information directly from users of another website or online service directed to children.- Trade Commission FAQ (See Below)

"Personal information" includes:

- Name

- "Persistent Identifier" (Username)

- Email

- Other personally identifying information

The following example of such a forum policy is taken from another pony forum:

"In addition to a desire to keep young children away from content that they - or their parents - are likely to find objectionable, this minimum [age restriction] has also been set into place to ensure that the forum remains in compliance with the American Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, and similar laws."

See the FTC FAQ here: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions 

Grave digging? First time I hear that phrase. I am more used to necroposting. And honestly I never understood why some people think it is bad. It's basically recycling instead of spamming same thread over and over.

• Like 2

I don't care so much about necroposting so long as the poster is adding something relevant to the existing subject.  

An old thread could be revitalized with the release of new information pertaining to the thread's subject.  Or a new user on the forum might want to add their thoughts on the subject without having to start a new thread and get blasted with the old "there's a thread about this already" schtick from one of our more abrasive members.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cinder Vel said:

And honestly I never understood why some people think it is bad.

It's annoying.

52 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

An old thread could be revitalized with the release of new information pertaining to the thread's subject. 

What if someone posts a thread asking how much X collectible item is worth, and someone replies six months after the OP said they sold it?

58 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

Or a new user on the forum might want to add their thoughts on the subject without having to start a new thread and get blasted with the old "there's a thread about this already" schtick from one of our more abrasive members.

I know from personal experience that it's inconvenient to dig through the forums, I'd rather just post a new topic.

I don't agree with the necroposting. You can either dig through a bunch of threads to maybe find it, or make a new one which will get blasted.

"but what if op sold an item when he asked how much it was being sold?" Then he can simply put in the thread (sold item.) Is just more unessesary hassles for the staff team to comply with these regulations. They do obey federal law, otherwise EQD wouldn't even be here.

• Like 1

I'm not implementing a specific rule against necroposting, since it's such a minor thing and we can easily handle it on an as-needed basis. COPPA is something I'll need to look further into. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Agilaz said:

It's annoying.

I was kinda hoping for "why" would it be annoying. I mean the benefit is clear, reduction in thread spamming. I find it more annoying to see same thread posted over and over.

40 minutes ago, Agilaz said:

What if someone posts a thread asking how much X collectible item is worth, and someone replies six months after the OP said they sold it?

Then OP made a mistake of not updating the thread with simple post "I sold the item" or he should have asked a moderator to close the thread. On the flip side what if he is still selling it should he then make same thread again? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

Is just more unessesary hassles for the staff team to comply with these regulations.

Oh dear

43 minutes ago, Kaethela said:

I'm not implementing a specific rule against necroposting, since it's such a minor thing and we can easily handle it on an as-needed basis. COPPA is something I'll need to look further into. 

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to respond

54 minutes ago, Agilaz said:

Oh dear

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to respond

I stand corrected. However, I don't really get the second one.

• Like 1

@Agilaz Just a quick question before I post again; is this specifically a thread about necroposting or do you mind of we discuss other ideas for implementing new rules on the forum?  I have a few suggestions but I don't want to derail your thread with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sylveon said:

I stand corrected. However, I don't really get the second one.

It's a bit technical but very important on a forum such as ours which people will inevitably perceive as appealing to younger audiences. 

40 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

@Agilaz Just a quick question before I post again; is this specifically a thread about necroposting or do you mind of we discuss other ideas for implementing new rules on the forum?  I have a few suggestions but I don't want to derail your thread with them.

I don't mind

2 minutes ago, Agilaz said:

It's a bit technical but very important on a forum such as ours which people will inevitably perceive as appealing to younger audiences. 

I don't mind

i beg your pardon?

1 minute ago, Agilaz said:

You said you didn't understand my post

I mean I don't understand the federal law part.

45 minutes ago, Agilaz said:

I don't mind

Awesome.  And on the note of this being a child-friendly site, maybe a filter could be implemented to find/replace offensive language with a euphemism of some sort.  I've been a member of at least two board where this was the case and it worked quite well.  I do feel, however, that this feature should be optional for those of us who don't mind a bit of salty language.

Second, and I know I already brought this up and it got shot down but I feel like it should still be considered, extending the Ignore feature to remove Status Updates and Topics started by anyone on your ignore list.  Basically this would make anyone you choose to ignore completely invisible to you.  

16 minutes ago, J. Brony said:

Awesome. And on the note of this being a child-friendly site, maybe a filter could be implemented to find/replace offensive language with a euphemism of some sort. I've been a member of at least two board where this was the case and it worked quite well. I do feel, however, that this feature should be optional for those of us who don't mind a bit of salty language.

Second, and I know I already brought this up and it got shot down but I feel like it should still be considered, extending the Ignore feature to remove Status Updates and Topics started by anyone on your ignore list. Basically this would make anyone you choose to ignore completely invisible to you.

Offensive language filters can be done but bypassing it is on a usergroup basis. Which means in order to make it optional myself or another staff member would have to manually add users to a special group that can post such things, and that is not a rabbit hole I'm willing to dive into.

I have no control over what the Ignore feature hides from you, sadly. If I'm able to find a solution to this, I would of course be willing to implement your suggestion.

1 hour ago, Sylveon said:

I mean I don't understand the federal law part.

How do I put it? Ah, yes. This ought to work.

This site is based around My Little Pony, is it not? And to most people, MLP is a children's show, is that not correct? Ergo, it is beyond reasonable to assume that anyone outside the fandom that sees a site based around colorful talking horses would assume that it is marketing towards young ones under 13, which in the US (where apparently EQD's servers are based) sites like that are required to be COPPA compliant. Being out of compliance with all applicable laws leaves a site in position to get shut down, which we REALLY don't want to happen to Seth's brain child

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mystic Thunder said:

How do I put it? Ah, yes. This ought to work.

This site is based around My Little Pony, is it not? And to most people, MLP is a children's show, is that not correct? Ergo, it is beyond reasonable to assume that anyone outside the fandom that sees a site based around colorful talking horses would assume that it is marketing towards young ones under 13, which in the US (where apparently EQD's servers are based) sites like that are required to be COPPA compliant. Being out of compliance with all applicable laws leaves a site in position to get shut down, which we REALLY don't want to happen to Seth's brain child

isnt coppa just children's privacy protection? Why would user need to worry?

6 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

isnt coppa just children's privacy protection? Why would user need to worry?

Why do I waste my time trying to shatter the brick wall?

COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) is a federal mandate, and non-compliance with any federal mandate is grounds for being shut down. Seth (Sethisto, not "User") doesn't want his site being shut down, I imagine...

9 minutes ago, Mystic Thunder said:

Why do I waste my time trying to shatter the brick wall?

COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) is a federal mandate, and non-compliance with any federal mandate is grounds for being shut down. Seth (Sethisto, not "User") doesn't want his site being shut down, I imagine...

Okay, sorry for wasting your time. I just don't get it, and I probably never will get it.

3 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

Okay, sorry for wasting your time. I just don't get it, and I probably never will get it.

You're not the one wasting my time, bro... sometimes I just wish more of the world could Rule 9 this shit. Here's the cliff notes edition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

2 hours ago, J. Brony said:

Awesome.  And on the note of this being a child-friendly site, maybe a filter could be implemented to find/replace offensive language with a euphemism of some sort.  I've been a member of at least two board where this was the case and it worked quite well.  I do feel, however, that this feature should be optional for those of us who don't mind a bit of salty language.

Second, and I know I already brought this up and it got shot down but I feel like it should still be considered, extending the Ignore feature to remove Status Updates and Topics started by anyone on your ignore list.  Basically this would make anyone you choose to ignore completely invisible to you.  

Dude, when I was 13 I was swearing up a storm. I can guarantee that any cursing we do here has already been heard by 90% of 13 year olds.

16 minutes ago, MoltenKitten said:

Dude, when I was 13 I was swearing up a storm. I can guarantee that any cursing we do here has already been heard by 90% of 13 year olds.

But most parents either don't know or refuse to recognize that fact

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MoltenKitten said:

I used to be the admin of a Star Fox fansite.  I had, amongst the membership, a pair of brothers.  One was maybe 11(?) and his younger sibling was 8.  The younger brother was causing issues for me because of a particular rule he didn't understand.  One of the members chose to stand up for me and told him off.  He dropped the F-bomb in the process.

A couple of days later I get an email from this kid's parents stating that they didn't appreciate the "inappropriate language" that their sons were being subjected to on my site and demanded that the offending word be removed.  Then they threatened to pull both of their children from my site if such "inappropriate behavior" continued.  Seeing as how the older brother was a sterling member of our community I didn't want to lose him.  So I was forced to apologize and comply.  

See, it's not the kids I'm concerned with.  It's the parents you have to beware of in these kinds of situations.  No one can account for what they'll do and I don't want Sethisto and the staff to have to deal with any messy clean-ups.

2 hours ago, Kaethela said:

I have no control over what the Ignore feature hides from you, sadly. If I'm able to find a solution to this, I would of course be willing to implement your suggestion.

Hmm, you could give me the ability to ban members.  I think that'd solve my issue pretty quickly.  

Which reminds me, what are the stipulations regarding a reported post?  Like, say someone sees a post that offends them in some way and they hit the report button.  What would it take to actually get the staff to remove the offending post?